A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Super Mario Galaxy 2

They did that again? Ugh. Bad Miyamoto, bad Nintendo, bad whoever the hell made that stupid call.

Admittedly, how you hurt him is pretty cool and doesn't really show up in other levels (you have to butt stomp these...I'll let you figure it out) but it does wear itself thin considering you have to do it three times just to start the fight, then 4 times during the actual fight, then repeat that whole process two more times. The little twist at the end of the final battle changes it up a little bit, but only for a few seconds, which is a shame, because there's so many good ideas in the levels that could have been implemented.

Make me fight him with the Rock! Or the Drill! Or the Clouds! I FUCKING LOVE THOSE CLOUDS MARIO HAS THE CUTEST CLOUD HAT IT'S SO GREAT.

finally have time to play the game, as soon as luigi shows up, I'm playing the game as him, REPRESENT!

I have fantastic news for you, then.

Beating Bowser seems to unlock Luigi for all levels. There's a little place he hangs out at on the starship, south of where you start. I noticed there was an L in that area and that Luigi was gone. Then I realized it was an open door. Then I took Luigi to Stone Cyclone Galaxy and we never talked about that fucking level ever again.

been plugging away at this game, already at 29 stars, I gotta say this game trumps the first one in every way. I like the minimalist overworld as much as I thought I wouldn't. I also think yoshi handles like a dream, and is an absolute joy to play with. GG nintendo.

Picked the game up today and made it to "World" 3. Game is defintlely easier to concentrate on when playing solo. Also starting to enjoy the game more. Still want to punch that fat black luma in the head everytime he opens his mouth. Yoshi powerups are fun.

Hey guys.

Guys.

Hey guys.

Remember Luigi's Purple Coin Challenge? The one everyone complained about?

It's back.

Oh by the way, there are EXACTLY 100 coins now, 150 or however many there were.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Cosmic Clones follow you the whole time, too.

Nintendo heard your complaints, and they think you should go fuck yourselves.

EDIT: Just got the first 120 stars. Just 120 more to go!

Just beat it last night. Game is still a god damn blast to play through.

Mario galaxy 1 was like the SMB1 of new age mario, while Mario Galaxy 2 was the SMB3 of new age mario. The game was done with such finesse and care.

The ONLY complaint I have against the game is those 2 fucking gliding levels involving the bird, worst control scheme ever.

The ONLY complaint I have against the game is those 2 fucking gliding levels involving the bird, worst control scheme ever.

There's only 2? Thank goodness.

I'm just cleared World 3. Going back to other places to grab those stars. Grabbing coins for Lumas is a pain though. I liked it better when I only had to worry about star bits.

Hey guys.

Guys.

Hey guys.

Remember Luigi's Purple Coin Challenge? The one everyone complained about?

It's back.

Oh by the way, there are EXACTLY 100 coins now, 150 or however many there were.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Cosmic Clones follow you the whole time, too.

Nintendo heard your complaints, and they think you should go fuck yourselves.

EDIT: Just got the first 120 stars. Just 120 more to go!

Actually I did that mission on my first try without issue, found it quite easy. Probably due to all the "practice" I got in the first game =P

At 67 Stars. I've been going back to other worlds to wrap up comets and stuff. So far, nothing has been too difficult. Throwback Galaxy was fun.

All this reminds me that I need to get back to SMG1 to finish up Luigi's stars though.

212. The green stars aren't as hard as I expected. Just really sneaky. You need to reach areas of levels you usually don't try to get to, so depending on the situation it can be really hard or really easy. Only one star comes to mind when I think of hard shit you need to do to get it. The rest is just clever footwork.

I'm not looking forward to S World's green stars, though. Particularly Stone Cyclone Galaxy. That level can go climb a wall of dicks.

104 stars. I've gotten some pretty challenging stars out of the way though, so I'm not too scared about whats to come.

I died a bit on Luigi's Purple Coins Redux, but it was mostly just me picking a bad path through the coins. Eventually I realized getting the ones over the dark matter first would make my life easier. Also, I fucking LOVE the speed run comets for Bowser levels.

I beat Bowser and got a few extra stars before I had to come back home, and I have to say I'm not as impressed as I expected. It sounds like its supposed to be amazing, but honestly I felt underwhelmed. That feeling that I had when I played Super Mario Galaxy for the first time, wasn't there. It felt like I was playing it a second time with a few different levels.

I didn't see much awesome new stuff, and they even left out some awesome old stuff. Powerups and Yoshi were hardly in any of the levels I played. I loved Cloud Mario, but only got to use him in like 4 or 5 levels. Same goes for Yoshi, and I only ever had to use him for eating those berry things. I don't know if Ice Mario was in this game, because I never saw it if it was. Bee Mario and Spring Mario were in like two levels.

I also did not enjoy the whole three stars per level thing. They really didn't feel the same as in the first one. They felt like one pathway in a Super Mario Galaxy level. This also made getting different stars in the levels seem kind of repetitive. I would walk down the exact same path and then kill something else maybe or have to jump to the right a little bit.

tl;dr It was fun, but it feels like they didn't try as hard as on the first one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this game because of a good report and OH YES I LOVE YOU MY PARENTS.

This game is amazing. I'm already up to 25 stars and 14 comet medals. I got to world 3 but my back was aching from so much awesome/slouching on a pool table while playing this awesomeness. Even the Fluzzard-bird part, which people dislike, wasn't too bad for me because it reminded me of Ray surfing, except less stupid because you couldn't fall off, just get hurt.

Also I am kind of late to the party because I COME FROM EUROPE AND THEY STAGGERED THOSE DARNED RELEASE DATES.