A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Small Change to the Worlds Jump

So if you know me you know that I use Game Maker and know next to nothing about MMF. I was working with Sonic Dash the other day and I realized that the jump just wasn't right yet I couldn't put my finger on it.

Anyway me and DW got to talking about it and we figured out that the problem was that acceleration changes when you are in the air in the Genesis games but not in Dash (World either *I think*). The place where this really causes a problem is if you push against something like spikes and you try to jump over them you just barely make it, where as in Genesis Sonic you could jump 2 possibly 3 sets of spikes in a row or about 105 pixels. Again this is because acceleration is faster in the air. This fix is rather simple you just need to increase the acceleration variable while in the air.

Now according to the Sonic Physics Guide Sonic's acceleration in the air should double from on the ground 0.04768 to in the air 0.09375. The 0.09375 seemed way too much for Dash, which is odd because the ground acceleration IS 0.04768. Whatever the reason I settled on 0.0665 for air acceleration and it works well.

Hopefully someone can translate this fix from Dash to Worlds. Its such a simple fix and really improves the performance of the jump especially in tight levels similar to Labyrinth.

• 7 months later...