A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Homming and Corkscrews

If you have no idea where to start with a cork screw, then you need to study the engine, because that is a serious indication that you really aren't ready to make a game with that engine. It's going to take more than a cork screw, a homing attack, and the built in attractions of the engine to make a worthwhile game.

And the fact that it's these things you are asking for, coupled with the sentiment echoed in your signature kind of pisses me off too. I mean seriously, people shouldn't be satisfied with seeing the same shit regurgitated over and over again ad nauseam. FUCK CORKSCREWS! SERIOUSLY! Come up with something original.

• Like 1

Oh, come on DW. I have no idea where to start with a corkscrew and people like the look of my game. Not that I'd want a corkscrew anyways, for matters you described in detail.

Anyways, I have no experience with the Worlds Engine as I do not use MMF2, but I assume a corkscrew would be something like this-

if Player is moving faster then (maxspeed -2)

-Start colliding with the Corkscrew object

The Corkscrew object would actually be three objects - one Foreground (to give the in front impression) - one Background (As everything else generally is) and one collision handler.

I have no idea how to set the sprites.

Hope you found that a bit helpful.

Oh Toaster you could do a corkscrew. All you really have to do is keep the speed the same as it is on regular land after checking to make sure its fast enough, because if its not Sonic should drop. Then all that's left is working with the sprites and their offsets. Pretty simple if you ask me it would probably just be a little time consuming to do so. Plus corkscrews are the most over used gimmick in Sonic games so why would you want to.

Oh, come on DW. I have no idea where to start with a corkscrew and people like the look of my game. Not that I'd want a corkscrew anyways, for matters you described in detail.

Anyways, I have no experience with the Worlds Engine as I do not use MMF2, but I assume a corkscrew would be something like this-

if Player is moving faster then (maxspeed -2)

-Start colliding with the Corkscrew object

The Corkscrew object would actually be three objects - one Foreground (to give the in front impression) - one Background (As everything else generally is) and one collision handler.

I have no idea how to set the sprites.

Hope you found that a bit helpful.

You do realize you just said "I have no idea where to start with corkscrews" and then immediately started with corkscrews right?

Look, what is implied to me when someone says "I have no idea where to start" is that they have thought about it and can't even begin to understand the most underlying concepts of how you could make something that works like it in general, much less in the specific case of the engine. On the engine side, a statement like that establishes that you have basically no idea how a gimmick even works. If that's the case, no amount of explaining could possibly set them on the right track.

For you to be able to begin to verbalize an idea of how something would work means you have an idea, regardless of whether it's formed ahead of time or not. Whether or not it's a feasible method or not and whether or not it was on-the-spot is irrelevant. To be able to start at all is to be in the right mind set, and if you aren't in the right mindset, you aren't ready to work with a complex engine.

Ok I get the picture...

Come up with something original and learn before I ask a noob question. Got it.

Thanks.

(P.s. The signature is a joke, didn't mean to piss anyone off.)

It's not the signature that makes me irate, it's the sentiment that is so wide-spread throughout both the Sonic community and gaming as a whole that makes me annoyed. I'm sick of people trying to make bank purely by selling nostalgia and I'm more sick of the people who make that profitable business.

And it isn't so much that you are asking a noob question as much as it is a frustrating statement that you've made by saying you don't even know where to start. You should at least try to articulate some idea of how that sort of thing would work. It's essential that you be able to think procedurally if you even want to be able to regurgitate someone's code.

You didn't do anything wrong Scarletdark. In fact you are handling this a lot better than a lot of other people I can think of. Its just that when you ask such broad questions like that it shows you have little to no experience using MMF or worlds I guess. This again is fine but you need to learn how to use it rather than asking people to program gimmicks for you. That's all DW is trying to say.

Okay so the kid just asked for a damn corkscrew tutorial. Nobody asked ANYBODY for their personal pet-peeves or the "problems with fangames these days". Nobody gives a damn that you're tired of seeing the homing attack, grind rails, boost mechanics or advance sprites.

Noobs cant even get to making the fangame without getting shit jammed down their throat anymore. Its quite obvious he doesn't know what hes doing, that's why its called the FANGAMING ASSISTANCE forum, people. Everyone isn't going to know how to program everything from the jump no matter how simple and elementary it seems from your experienced point of view, so stop with all this "WE ARENT DOING IT FOR YOU" bullshit. You started off no better. Just because you were able to spam tutorials back when people still made them makes you no better. And if you're speaking from a programmers point of view you just need to really grow the fuck up.

Seriously, this is pathetic. Save your bullshit for his fangame topic. And if you are personally tired of seeing corkscrews or homing attacks in fangames, dont post in the fucking assistance topic.

I assist people who assist themselves. How about starting by not even doing a search for corkscrew?

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4928&highlight=corkscrew

Why, if he'd just looked at that, he would have at least had an idea of where to start.

And what about you Seraph? You don't exactly seem to be brimming with helpfulness. So yeah, get off your moral high chair and fuck off. There is already information about making corkscrews available from multiple sources including the main site... and any notion of someone not knowing as much as where to start indicates that they haven't even looked at any of it.

One more thing, you say I started off no better... but last I checked, I have never once asked a question in this forum without thinking it through on my own first. Of course, I've never asked a programming related question in this forum at all, but that's aside the point.

And this isn't a question of the simple and elementary. Homing attack is a complicated move. Cork Screw is a complicated gimmick. Both of them are rife with many ways to approach them. That just makes it more frustrating though, because this isn't the kind of question where there is one catch-all answer that can just be scribbled off and handed in. What is frustrating here isn't at all the ease of the problem, but the sheer lack of thought put into it. The kind of homing attack he wanted wasn't even remotely described. The word homing wasn't even spelled correctly in the title. There was a complete and utter lack of effort of any kind. That's the issue here. The fact that even the desires themselves lacked any semblance of originality or direction was simply the straw that broke my threshold for tolerating this kind of crap.

It doesn't matter how complicated the situation is. You already KNOW how noobs act when they come here. They necro topics, ask for information they could have searched for, misspell words in the topic title, dont know shit about the program they're using, ectectectcecectetct blah blah you get it. You simply correct them, point them in the right direction, and keep it moving. When they start acting like complete dumbasses, THEN you can blow up at them.

whatever, i dont have to explain how you acted like a dick just now, im sure you already know. It has nothing to do with being "moral". Blowing up at someone who "doesn't know where to start" in the fangaming assistance forum is just dumb as fuck. There are numerous reasons why he could have not known where to start, misspelled the topic title, not have found that previous topic, or even wanted a corkscrew or homing attack in the first place. And if it really pissed you off that bad, there are far easier ways to show it than attacking the guy. And overbound, its like he just camps this forum looking for noobs he can call defiant and rail.

It doesn't matter how complicated the situation is. You already KNOW how noobs act when they come here. They necro topics, ask for information they could have searched for, misspell words in the topic title, dont know shit about the program they're using, ectectectcecectetct blah blah you get it. You simply correct them, point them in the right direction, and keep it moving. When they start acting like complete dumbasses, THEN you can blow up at them.

whatever, i dont have to explain how you acted like a dick just now, im sure you already know. It has nothing to do with being "moral". Blowing up at someone who "doesn't know where to start" in the fangaming assistance forum is just dumb as fuck. There are numerous reasons why he could have not known where to start, misspelled the topic title, not have found that previous topic, or even wanted a corkscrew or homing attack in the first place. And if it really pissed you off that bad, there are far easier ways to show it than attacking the guy. And overbound, its like he just camps this forum looking for noobs he can call defiant and rail.

Don't you dare slander Overbound's use of this forum. When I look at all the posts he's made in this forum, most of them are actually trying to be helpful and point out available resources on the topics. 99% of the posts you've made in this forum have just been talking about what other people are saying. As for mine? Well, I'll just let you do that little check yourself.

I know that I blew up on the poor guy when he did did really was just committing a small, common grievance which just happens to be part of a much bigger personal thing to me... but you are the last person who gets to make a huge issue of it. Feel free to chew me out once you've actually given some useful advice.

It doesn't matter how complicated the situation is. You already KNOW how noobs act when they come here. They necro topics, ask for information they could have searched for, misspell words in the topic title, dont know shit about the program they're using, ectectectcecectetct blah blah you get it. You simply correct them, point them in the right direction, and keep it moving. When they start acting like complete dumbasses, THEN you can blow up at them. And overbound, its like he just camps this forum looking for noobs he can call defiant and rail.

Are you kidding me? I didn't even say ANYTHING negative in this topic. The only camping I've noticed around here is you and your poor little noob speech, and that's only counting what you do in the assistance forum. You said we need to correct said noobs that that's exactly what I was trying to do DW too. One might also consider the fact that you never help anyone in this forum. It seems to me if you were so worried about the poor innocent noobs you'd spend less time bitching and more time helping them. If you don't like the way the help forum is handled then take a seat and start answering some god damn questions, I've heard enough of your bitching and it would prove you aren't a complete tool.

cork.png

If you're lazy like me, corkscrews are very easy to implement into worlds. The red block is an active in group 0, making it an obstacle. Collision with this is only active when the player is on the ground and travelling above a specific speed.

The corkscrew itself is then split into two pieces, one on layer 2, the 2nd piece on layer 3.

As for animation, you could possibly use the flip animation used for corkscrews and determine the frame via the players X position on the current corkscrew piece, which I haven't tried. Or again a lazy technique, force the players rolling/jumping animation whilst corkscrewing.

• Like 2

Cool Nitemare!

I helps me a lot in my research of the engine.

*picks up note pad and writes everything down*

Although I probably won't use a corkscrew in my game now (for obvious reasons, over use, ect.) it did enlighten me with something that I was looking for in engine. Thanks for the assistance.

Ps: Lol, Overbound never said anything that was negative in this post. In fact he complimented:

In fact you are handling this a lot better than a lot of other people I can think of.

Also I have a lot of respect for DW. I've seen what he's done on this forum (research) and if he decides to blowup on me I'll take it like a man. I appreciate what your trying to do serephim but I'm a noob looking for help, not a teenage girl getting raped.

[qimg]http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af84/ilovesonicandknuckles/cork.png[/qimg]

If you're lazy like me, corkscrews are very easy to implement into worlds. The red block is an active in group 0, making it an obstacle. Collision with this is only active when the player is on the ground and travelling above a specific speed.

The corkscrew itself is then split into two pieces, one on layer 2, the 2nd piece on layer 3.

As for animation, you could possibly use the flip animation used for corkscrews and determine the frame via the players X position on the current corkscrew piece, which I haven't tried. Or again a lazy technique, force the players rolling/jumping animation whilst corkscrewing.

I can only hope to see how that method can run on worlds engine per say. I've seen that method attempted by maybe two or three people, and most of those were too glitchy to work properly or at all. I'm not downsizing anything, I'm just letting off steam from self experience.