A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Problem

Ok. Whenever I try to look up a tutorial on how to make this, I always get the wrong thing. I'm trying to make a text box as my pause menu, but I always get a tutorial for how to make an RPG styled text box instead. I'm trying to make a text box like the one in the picture (The menu used is from Sonic Reloaded demo)

post-3514-138639764057_thumb.png

Anyone know how to make a text box?

(BTW, I know this question is EXTREMELY noobish, but I'm stumped. So if your gonna say something harsh, go ahead!)

This engine have a pause feature included.

you may check it out:

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6077

The idea is to take an screenshot and use it as background and then deactivate all instances.

After deactivating them you can create all objects or buttons you want.

Then, to resume the game, delete all objects you created in pause menu and re-activate all instances again.

No, there is actually a built in function that looks incredibly similar to that screenshot. show_message() or something like that? You're going to have to search in GM help for the parameters, however.

EDIT: This is what you want.

show_message("PAUSED")

message_background(background01)

background01 is a backrgound used as a backing for the message.

show_message will work on it's own, but message_background won't.

Here's where the real programming world is just awesome.

This assumes you have a thread for rendering, a thread for audio control, a thread for the main game logic, and a thread for checking inputs.

mainThread.stop()

pause audio. Or not, it might not be necessary

create/position pause graphics

then when you want to resume the game, just...

clear pause graphics

resume audio

mainThread.start()