A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Help with moving platforms...please

Appo

Hey, i'm trying to slow the platforms down but can't seem to figure it out. I just need virticle and horizontal ones for now but they seem to move to fast i've set the 'AngleStepX' to 1 and the 'DistanceX' to say 300 but it seems to accelerate to a fast speed then the same as it comes back, i've tried messing with the events to see what happens but i just manage to make the movement of them choppy. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

DistanceX to 300 means it's moving a maximum of 600 horizontal pixels. Also, your step value is 1, which means it'll repeat its movement after 6 seconds (60fps * 6seconds = 360) and as it goes right and then left, it will move 600 pixels in 3 seconds. Naturally, it's gonna go quite fast. =P

To slow things down, you will have to go into the event editor and manually set the step value to a decimal amount. If you would like to set decimals in the frame editor directly, at the start of the frame you can divide all step values by something like 1000, and then setting the step to 1000 in the frame editor is the same as 1 right now. Of course though, you will need to make sure you add 3 zeroes to all existing step values for all moving platforms to make sure no unwanted behavior occurs.

Well...

If you want to do it more directly, look into the moving platforms Alt-values through the Object properties window in the frame editor.

You should probably see these:

InitialAngleX (Turn on X movement)

AngleStepX (Speed)

DistanceX (How far left and right it can go)

CodOrSinX (Rotate from right to left)

The rest is the same wording, Just with "Y" Like InitialAngleY and so on.

Just remember, DistanceX (And Y for up and down) is the total distance of how far left or right the platform can go, and AngleStepX (Or Y) Is how fast the platform moves.

If you combine those values with both X and Y, you can even make diaganal platforms with plus and minus values. But with the CosOrSinX activated, you can make the platform rotate around a radios of both DisanceX and DistanceY. Be careful, Because only one SinORCosX or Y can be used at a time. Using them both will just break it.

I hope I covered and answered your question.

thats cleared a few things up thanks, but i have'AngleStepX' (speed) set to 1 but thats still too fast and i don't really know how to have it so i could use decimals to slow it down more say 0.3, i think larkss tried to help us out with that in the previous post but like i say i have no clue about all that (like deviding and multiplying things in order to make something work)

thats cleared a few things up thanks, but i have'AngleStepX' (speed) set to 1 but thats still too fast and i don't really know how to have it so i could use decimals to slow it down more say 0.3, i think larkss tried to help us out with that in the previous post but like i say i have no clue about all that (like deviding and multiplying things in order to make something work)

So you want to go lower than 1? Doesn't seem to work that way for me. A whole number is as much as it can take, because it's moving pixle by pixle.

yeah i see what u mean in the frame editor and putting the values in there, but is the a way to change something in the events editor to maybe half a whole number? (if that makes sense) i've randomly fiddled about in there but i haven't reall manges to achive anything

EDIT: Actually if u happen to have worlds in front of u here is what vales i put on one of the platforms (dunno if this will help) AngleStepX = 1, DistanceX=500 everything else is set to 0

EDIT EDIT: ok after going over what larkss said i think i might of figured something out, all i did was 'start of frame'---set value b of group 6 to 0.5 i just didn't read the post properly...... anyway rep to both of you thanks

If you would like to set decimals in the frame editor directly, at the start of the frame you can divide all step values by something like 1000, and then setting the step to 1000 in the frame editor is the same as 1 right now. Of course though, you will need to make sure you add 3 zeroes to all existing step values for all moving platforms to make sure no unwanted behavior occurs.

To make things a bit clearer:

altmethod.png

The start of frame event could easily be applied to the entire moving platform qualifier. If you do that approach, the 500 I entered for the angle step is the same as 0.5, as when the level starts, the 500 is divided by 1000. Just a simple trick to be able to use decimals to up to 3 decimal places (or more if you make the 1000 a larger number) by setting values conveniently in the object's properties.

Just know that if you do the division on the entire qualifier, you will have to change the step values for all other platforms to work correctly. For instance, a platform that previously had a step of 3 must be changed to 3000, and so on.

• Like 1

Thank you for that, i'm sure i tried that yesterday after reading your post but it didn't seem to work (maybe i made a mistake somewhere) but i've just done it now (after seeing your screenshot is the same way i did it, but i did it with the qualifier) and it seems to work now.. anyways i would give you two rep but it keeps saying i must spread it around first. Its propably because i repped you's on sonic worlds, oh well you'll just have to accept my thanks for now, cheers guys