A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

2D games vs 3D games

z3d

3d assets are different from 2d assets, but I'm not sure they are the main reason why 3d games are hard to get working right. It probably has more to do with the engine, because I've seen flourishing modding communities do some outstanding things with existing engines.

It is however new from 2d, especially if we're talking about a community which probably got its start from trying to make the 2d games that they weren't being given. Now however, it seems Sonic fangames are an outlet for concepts that can be bold and can deviate from any reputation Sonic may be trying to recover. We have Chao games, Shadow the Hedgehog games, et cetera. I think making 3d Sonic games is just a branch off of that so long as the designer is more concerned with creating his vision than appealing to the masses. (a trap that Sonic Team needs to deal with, but which we don't have to)

I won't say its easy, but if you have a good engine and have the know-how, I wouldn't try to discourage you from making a 3d fangame. Although I only really speak for myself, but I think a significant amount of the quality that we can get out of the fangames here are from innovation rather than polish, visuals, or nostalgia. (Tikal and Chaos wasn't the smoothest game in the year it was released, but it still tied with it for best in show) If one were to ask whether 3d fangames are better than 2d fangames or vice versa, I'd daresay he's missing the point.

That said, we do have a fairly disheartening lineup of 3d fangames for Sonic... but I won't say that can't be changed.

Okay, Unity isn't THAT slow, but its demos aren't the best indications of performance. Then again, the island demo runs at a reasonable speed in my browser on my laptop (which has an Intel graphics chip, btw, those are shit), which is impressive.

Yeah I noticed the same thing. (It running at near perfect speed on my crappy graphics card) I might take some time to figure it out. It seems somewhat simple,...just really detailed and professional.

EDIT-I did just find an interesting fact: C++ is faster then it....and they stated the IN their site...so the at least know they are not the fastest

Well, to be fair, it uses Javascipt, C# and and Boo, which means that it's by no means as fast as C++, but they claim it's nearly as fast. You have to be realistic about this, what with trading the sheer speed of C++ for easier to use scripting languages... Though, making JavaScript as fast as the other two is impressive.

Hey, guys, guess what? Unity is now free. Well, the basic version, but STILL.

Has anyone considered for a viable 3D engine? I hear it's actually good (one guy I talked to says its wonderful), not to mention it's, ya know, free now. Granted, the basic edition is missing some stuff I would like to make use of, but still. Maybe someone can trying making a Sonic engine outta that?

Guess what? Unreal Engine 3 is now free. And it is a viable 3D engine =)

Guess what? Unreal Engine 3 is now free. And it is a viable 3D engine =)

Dammit, you beat me to it. What's next, the Hedgehog Engine?

But, I actually want my game to run on something other than just PC, so I'll stick with Unity until Attitude comes out. I also hear UE3 is, believe it or not, not that good. Endri agrees.

Anyway, speaking of Unity, I shouldn't work on my projects using my laptop, Unity hates Intel graphics cards with a passion. Other than that, I'm loving it so far.

But, I actually want my game to run on something other than just PC, so I'll stick with Unity until Attitude comes out. I also hear UE3 is, believe it or not, not that good. Endri agrees.

Heh, "not that good"; but yeah, it has its downsides and I can't say it's better than Unity -the same for the opposite statement.