A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Project Spikepig

Hyper Emerson

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devlog and thoughts:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1524&stc=1&d=1320112128

-Made a new title card for levels.

-Found out how to make Sonic be able to walk out of the screen at the end of a level.

-I failed to connect the paths on Cobalt Capital the way i planned, so i decided to go further with the refe

ence and make 2 goals instead. I guess i should make an Act 2 and an Act 2' later.

-If i do that i'll probably have to create two bosses for CCZ. I was already planning to make two bosses, but i wanted one (Metal Sonic) to be fought by Sonic and Tails and the other (Eggrobo) by Knuckles in an alternate path.

I also looked at some tiles i've made a long time ago with a NES palette and changed them a little:

ddztiles.png

And about the vuvuzela badniks, i made them that way because i had puzzles and hazard setups in mind that would depend on them working that way, but i guess i can create a variation of the badniks that works as you say.

post-2967-138639765223_thumb.png

Cobalt Capital looks great in that video there. ^_^ The level design looks just as fun as Tropical Trance.

If I were to make a suggestion, I'd recommend lowering the speed at which the background scrolls - as it is, the background buildings feel like they're much closer than their window size would imply.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, that one. I could try to use it, Kessler.

@Topic:

A Wuala link for a build with Knuckles and CCZ1 mostly done. And a Mediafire mirror.

Devlog:

-Collected Red Rings are saved properly.

-Continues added. Each 5 Red Rings is worth a continue.

-Point icons from S1.

-Figured out how to make the chars move out of the screen at the end of a level.

-Knuckles is playable. I edited the placeholder menu so he can be chosen.

-Cobalt Capital Act 1. Mostly. I have to improve that top path.

-Characters can unlock abilities, which are saved in a ini. There's a after-spring curling and a insta shield wall jump for Sonic. No idea what to do about Tails and Knuckles.

• 4 weeks later...

ô Emerson, essas musicas são muito chatas cara, troca elas, eu passei de fase na expectativa de um som maneiro... foi igual... e cade a água na fase tropical?

---

Emerson, these songs are very boring, change them, I pass the level in anticipation of a cool sound ... was equal ... and where is the water inside the first level?

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know what's so special about SFGHQ, but it's the only site that always works here at home since two days ago. The internet here has been quite bad... and the battery cable of my netbook is starting to break...

attachment.php?attachmentid=1614&stc=1&d=1357268008

In topic, I edited some of the first level because I've been thinking it was too short with nothing interesting going on. The flower robots now drop and explode after being hit, as intended.

post-2967-138639765366_thumb.png

I never paid much attention to this, but i just played the last build you posted and i must say, your gimmick placement is approaching Mario-level ingenuity.

I was intrigued the whole playthrough. Terribly frustrated at the "walk fast on raising platforms onto spike ceiling" part, but other than that it was very engaging. Looking forward to this. You are very creative with your gimmicks, and do a wonderful job with stretching them as far as they can go, as well as teaching them.

@Serephim

Those spikes were all in the same height before I pushed the left ones up because that would have been too much. How was the first boss? People usually say to me they didn't understand it and just used the Instashield to win...

@SonicFan2010

The flatface songs are there so Dynamic Beta doesn't play all the time. I'm not too concerned about music yet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1615&stc=1&d=1357424205

Edit:

@Sotsug

Act 3 will have water.

tumblr_mgff09CPer1rzm1o7o1_400.png

post-2967-138639765371_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

attachment.php?attachmentid=1617&stc=1&d=1358911769

Today I made a new miniboss during the afternoon.

Then MMF2 fucked itself into oblivion (event list scroll glitch) and I lost it.

Then my netbook's battery cable, which as said above isn't working well, turns out to be "off" with bad contact or whatever the whole time and the netbook shuts down without warning...

...while I was saving some remade stuff.

Thankfully, the file doesn't seem to be damaged.

OR IS IT?

Why don't I save all the time? Well, my netbook just happens to have gotten strangely slow in some aspects for whatever reason since some days ago, so everytime I save in MMF2 I now have to wait more than a minute to continue.

Thanks for reading Emerson's computer issue horror story of the day. Good night.

Also, I finished TTZ3 some days ago, so after I redo this guy and make an *something else* I'll start working seriously on other levels. If this thing doesn't explode.

Edit:

In about 2 hours with some improvements, I see.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1619&stc=1&d=1359126492

post-2967-138639765374_thumb.png

post-2967-138639765379_thumb.png

• 5 weeks later...

I'm pretty conflicted about this game. While you are very creative with how you use your gimmicks, I found the level design to be pretty confusing sometimes. I ended up going in a complete circle more than once with no clue where to go. I found enemy placement maddeningly cheap and I just didn't have as much fun as I thought I would with this.

I've got a video of my first playthrough if that'll be more helpful than my silly lines of text:

[qimg]http://sonicunited.org/hsfqmtif/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1617&stc=1&d=1358911769[/qimg]

Today I made a new miniboss during the afternoon.

Then MMF2 fucked itself into oblivion (event list scroll glitch) and I lost it.

Then my netbook's battery cable, which as said above isn't working well, turns out to be "off" with bad contact or whatever the whole time and the netbook shuts down without warning...

...while I was saving some remade stuff.

Thankfully, the file doesn't seem to be damaged.

OR IS IT?

Why don't I save all the time? Well, my netbook just happens to have gotten strangely slow in some aspects for whatever reason since some days ago, so everytime I save in MMF2 I now have to wait more than a minute to continue.

Thanks for reading Emerson's computer issue horror story of the day. Good night.

Also, I finished TTZ3 some days ago, so after I redo this guy and make an *something else* I'll start working seriously on other levels. If this thing doesn't explode.

Edit:

In about 2 hours with some improvements, I see.

[qimg]http://sonicunited.org/hsfqmtif/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1619&stc=1&d=1359126492[/qimg]

I see you borrowed the boss from the concept of that "sonic 4" project over at retro. Honestly, I've been waiting and waiting for someone to do it. I almost did myself! Hope it works as well as it looks.