A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Duskstrider Megumi is now LIVE!

Cyber Rat

UPDATE: The site is now live: http://www.duskstrider.com/

We're still fixing a few quirks, and are lacking in content, but we're steadily fixing all that. If anyone finds any bugs, let me know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Might as well point out that, despite neither working on Sonic nor gaming projects, I was pretty busy with something.

So, here's the deal: me and a friend of mine decided a year ago to work on a webcomic project together. He as the artist, me as the writer. After many delays, the whole thing is slowly coming together (emphasis on slowly), and it seems as though we may put the first page online before the end of the year (after which we will be having regular updates).

For all of those who watch anime, the genre is your typical shonen/shojo. For all of you who don't watch anime, this was just moonspeak for mainstream/generic. There is a story with a beginning, middle, and end, pretty much planned out. And while it does revolve around demon hunting in the beginning, the story's emphasis is on the characters themselves and how they cope with the 'generic' demon hunting situations. IE, there won't be any "Oh, I killed three monstrosities this night and barely survived. Now how about that cooking contest?".

Here is some character concept art for the main character, Megumi Mito, as well as her "partner" Saburo (that sphere thingy). Please ignore the plural form in the picture's name, since the artist isn't a native English speaker :S

I'll update this thread with new info as we make progress. I'll probably have the concept art for the other 2 main characters in a few days.

If anybody has any questions, feel free to let me know, I'll answer what I can.

• 2 weeks later...

You still owe SFGHQ a fangame; THIS DOESNT COUNT.

In seriousness, the project from what you've told me seems like it'll be quite interesting, not to mention I see you're continuously putting effort into making it happen rather than just speculating ideas. Can't wait. =]

• Like 1

Pretty awesome, Cyber Rat. The art is fantastic. My only problem is that right now it sounds really unoriginal. You even called it "typical shounen" yourself. But aside from your description, I haven't actually seen it yet, so who knows.

Oh, and fav'd.

Pretty awesome, Cyber Rat. The art is fantastic. My only problem is that right now it sounds really unoriginal. You even called it "typical shounen" yourself. But aside from your description, I haven't actually seen it yet, so who knows.

Trust me, I'm intentionally setting up the stage with cliche props just to mow it down later on. Now, I have everything from beginning to end planned, the problem is how everything will look like once I'm done with it. Whether it turns out great, or flops, it's not ending in the same manner it's starting. That's all I can say (I know it's not much to go on, it'll just take time I guess).

You have earned my interest! +23 INT. erest.

I'm interested in seeing where this goes. From what I see in that character design picture, the art is looking pretty rad. The reference poses are good.

I know you're not the artist, but I just felt like providing a bit of critique that you might pass along. There are several anatomical and consistency issues (such as the eyes of the face right under the name MEGUMI being waaay too far apart - creepy! and I know anime eyes aren't exactly realistic either), though with anime they're honestly to be expected now. And the visible upper arm on the center left picture is incredibly long. Stylistically, it's not bad, but it is inconsistent with the upper arm lengths in other poses.

...I mean, you can get away with this stuff with the general audience, I'm just pointing it out ;]

Looking forward to seeing more, especially how the whole thing will come together.

• 2 months later...

Wooo, update!

We've been working pretty hard on the comic. The site is almost done, domain is being bought, and all the things that we need to do are coming into place. The site will go live January 2010. We also have a teaser for a newsletter that's being printed here in Serbia (for the anime/manga community here. Since we're part of it, we get a page for free to promote ourselves).

Here's the pic, together with the logo:

http://musashi-dono.deviantart.com/art/Preview-of-Duskstrider-146101704

The characters in the middle panels are (from left to right) Megumi (the main character), Naota and Yuki. The first and last panel are obviously Megumi, and the identity of the shadow in the last panel is still hidden (cue dramatic music).

The style for normal panels and action scenes will vary, as you can see in the first and middle panels (the middle panels being how action shots will look like, the first one being how normal scenes will look like). We'll most probably be updating 2 pages per week for starters.

Any questions and comments regarding the comic or site are welcome.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Only one page, I'm disappointed. Haha.

Yeah, content took a backseat to logistics. We'll try and put out one page every 4 days (not an official update schedule, btw), but it really depends on how much we can accomplish in our spare time.

EDIT: Dammit Spike, post that comic you did on the forum. I always forget to read it since I removed it from dA updates...

Not bad! I'd just suggest to the artist who's working with you to use more grays instead of just black and white, as It limits the details you can give a lot.

We're using the black and white only approach as a sort of semi-tribute to Sin City and because of a few other things (story related). We'll see how the first episode goes in that style, and then it'll be up to the artist whether he wants to try something else.