A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Paranoia Agent anyone?

So I've been getting into Adult Swim lately, and this show, Paranoia Agent, has gotten a hold of me for some odd reason.

Basically, every episode revolves around a new, different person. Every new character introduced is related thanks to the mysterious Lil' Sligger, a baseball capped boy on skates who carries a bent bat. The main character then eventually becomes his "victim", where the boy swings his bat, but we don't really see what happens.

spoilers!

Tonight's episode was the second one, where a popular boy in school has his life ruined when everyone suspects him of being Lil' Slugger due to his similar appearance. This ruins his chances of winning the school election, and thus sending him into a state of paranoia and halluncinations, when, finally, Lil' Slugger approaches him, swings his bat, and the episode ends.

/spoilers

It's really messed up (just watch the bizzare intro) but it keeps sucking me in. This is really the first anime I've watched that wasn't some sort of Shonen or based on a manga I've already read or whatever.

Anywho, yea, I reccommend it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, 4kids and funimation royally ____ with the originals (One piece is actually good. You won't know by the english techno, lame voices, and key plots that are edited out. Oh, and DBZ is actually a lot more bloodier, though it still sucks, IMO.)

Other than those 2 companies, dubs are usually quite faithful. Geneon seems to have done a fathful dub of this, and I can't wait to see the Disgaea anime dubbed (the American voices from the game are SOOOO good!)

I don't recall that being the second episode... maybe they're showing them out of order? That would SUCK. The story is so twisted and abstract as it is, showing them out of order would be murder.

Without spoiling anything: If you like the show now, be warned that the last 6 episodes or so are very, VERY different in mood and presentation. It gets weird.

Doesn't beat FLCL though. :P

=Smidge=

SG, disgaea had an anime since april, and recently ended, and now a second anime series is coming, based on Disgaea 2. Be warned that the writers intentionally created a totally different story. There's a lot of parts fro m the game, but they get twisted around (first episode, Laharl is woken up by Flonne in a cemetary 2 years after his dad dies, then he meets Gordon and co., then Etna comes, then they beat up Vyre and get Flonne's pendant by the end of episode 2. Then from there the story weaves in and out of the game's. It's still really good. Watch it.)

I read the first 2 volumes of Bleach. A tad overhyped, IMO.

SG, disgaea had an anime since april, and recently ended, and now a second anime series is coming, based on Disgaea 2. Be warned that the writers intentionally created a totally different story. There's a lot of parts fro m the game, but they get twisted around (first episode, Laharl is woken up by Flonne in a cemetary 2 years after his dad dies, then he meets Gordon and co., then Etna comes, then they beat up Vyre and get Flonne's pendant by the end of episode 2. Then from there the story weaves in and out of the game's. It's still really good. Watch it.)

I read the first 2 volumes of Bleach. A tad overhyped, IMO.

I will definately have to torrent that then.

Also Bleach does not really kick off until he gets his 2nd sword and they take the fight to the soul society...then the anime gets friggin awesome.

Oh, Bleach. That reminds me of a story.

One day, I was sitting in a hotel room in Tokyo, watching TV. For the first time in watching Japanese TV, I found an anime program. I had no idea what it was, but I kept watching it. Then, one of my roommates came out of the bathroom and when, "ZOMG I think this is Bleach." My other roommate came in and he was like, "ZOMG Is this Bleach?!" They were confused though, because it was an extremely new episode and they were a few episodes behind.

To this day, I have no idea what Bleach is about.

As for Paranoia Agent, I watch the first episode, and I got really bored. But I don't watch TV that often anyway, so that might be why.

Geneon does okay with the language. I wasn't talking about that. It's the CONTENT they cut out. Even samurai shampoo (geneon) has ____loads cut out.

Paranoia Agent is boring. It would be better if you could watch it first episode to last episode, but otherwise it is just confusing stupid and boring.

I tried watching Paronoia Agent a while ago, hearing that it was a more adult and intelligent anime than most, but I just lost interest in the end. It became too damn mysterious for my liking =P. I think it had potential, though....just a slow burner. Maybe i'll go back to it sometime.

As for the Disgaea anime...um, how can I put this? I 'acquired' the first episode out of curiosity (being a fan of said game), then deleted it straight after watching it. Too bad I couldn't flush out the memories as easily. Never mind the fact that the writers decided to go off on a tangent...what's with skill names popping up as the characters execute them? (am I watching a show or playing a game here? Next we'll have HP and MP floating above character's heads) And don't get me started on Gordon and co doing a Team Rocket impression (hello fork, meet eye). I think its clearly aimed at a young, easy-to-please audience - I just wished I did a bit of research first. But hey, that's my opinion.

I watched Paranoia Agent when it was first showed on as. The first episode I saw (I believe it was the third, but it was the one you saw) I absolutely hated. It was nothing but a whiney kid complain about losing popularity. But for some reason, I decided to give it another try and watched the next episode and was pleasantly suprised that the story in no way revolved around him. I really got into it, depsite its slow start and by the end it was one of my favourites at the time. It's fun to watch old episodes knowing the plot to see how it links up where before it made absolutely no sense, but the plot's not all that interesting and there are better animes if you want to see physchological extremes. The show's still worth a watch, if only for its genuine weirdness. You might want to watch closesly a second time, it's easy to miss some things. (

******took me forever to realize in the episode with the dead people who continually try to commit suicide that the old guy was kept noticing he had no shadow******

)

I tried watching Paronoia Agent a while ago, hearing that it was a more adult and intelligent anime than most, but I just lost interest in the end. It became too damn mysterious for my liking =P. I think it had potential, though....just a slow burner. Maybe i'll go back to it sometime.

As for the Disgaea anime...um, how can I put this? I 'acquired' the first episode out of curiosity (being a fan of said game), then deleted it straight after watching it. Too bad I couldn't flush out the memories as easily. Never mind the fact that the writers decided to go off on a tangent...what's with skill names popping up as the characters execute them? (am I watching a show or playing a game here? Next we'll have HP and MP floating above character's heads) And don't get me started on Gordon and co doing a Team Rocket impression (hello fork, meet eye). I think its clearly aimed at a young, easy-to-please audience - I just wished I did a bit of research first. But hey, that's my opinion.

Yea, the names shown during the attacks only happen in Episode 1. Give it another chance, cause it's quite cute ^.^

Guest Shadix
well, 4kids and funimation royally ____ with the originals (One piece is actually good. You won't know by the english techno, lame voices, and key plots that are edited out. Oh, and DBZ is actually a lot more bloodier, though it still sucks, IMO.)

Other than those 2 companies, dubs are usually quite faithful. Geneon seems to have done a fathful dub of this, and I can't wait to see the Disgaea anime dubbed (the American voices from the game are SOOOO good!)

Funimation also churned out FMA, which is probably the only dub I can watch and prefer the English cast over the Japanese cast even after watching some of it in Japanese first. IMO does a pretty decent job with their shows (and most they have edited and unedited versions. For example Yu Yu Hakusho, which on multiple occasions accidently got the unedited versions slipped into the toonami run strip.), and I have never had to shudder watching a show dubbed by them.

---

I never could bring myself to like Paranoia Agent, but that could partially be Geneon's fault. One thing I've noticed about pretty much all their dubs is that there is something that keeps me detached from them and the feeling that something is missing. (Although Koray's post made me realize that it might be because the cut so much out.)

Speaking of Geneon-dubbed animes, did anyone notice that it's always the same VA voicing every single noble\old man in Samurai Champloo? In fact, thats the one way (other than the crappy intro theme) I'm able to tell the show is on when I'm not directly watching it.