A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SAGE Game Reviews

sonicyoda

Guest RonEchidna

Meh. That review of Project Mettrix pissed me off :P You bigged up Stealth's excellent engine, which, fair enough, deserves it; but you totally dismissed most of the stuff I've been working on for the last month. Fair enough, Shining Island that I made ten years ago now does look pretty shoddy but Bronze Lake looks like it was made in MS paint? I drew the whole thing from scratch in about two weeks without copying anything from existing sonic games and recolouring it like most people do - ok there're a few problems with the art that I didn't have time to fix before SAGE, but that's a harsh judgement.

And the music; you really think I have no idea about music from Sonic games? The track to Bronze Lake is extremely similar to the style of the music from Sonic 2 in particular, it's just arranged in a more modern way, with elements from dnb, dubstep and breakcore thrown in. If I replaced the lead bassline with a more genesis-sounding instrument, and switched the beat to a more snare-heavy yamaha synth kit you'd be hard pressed to lay that criticism on me.

I'm pretty miffed, but it's good to know what people aren't liking so I can make changes. What in specific bugged you about the art? It's probably all stuff I'm working on but maybe there's something that stands out to other people.

Also now's a good time to ask the forum in general about the music- the modern style was an experiment, is there anyone else who has a problem with it? I like that tune myself, the full version goes down well when I'm DJ'ing clubs, but I could make it more traditional if that's what people want.

I'd love to review STH3D but I can't get it to run properly on my PC. The main problem I'm having is the character models aren't loading at all. They're all just yellow cuboids.
It seems your computer has problems with Open GL . (maybe your video card is very old). The only one way - try the game on computer with Open GL =/

I have the same problem as sonicyoda - except I know I have OpenGL on my computer. It's not a question as to whether or not you have OpenGL, but rather, it depends on the OpenGL version and/or graphics card your running.

Personally, I'm using a Intel integrated graphics chip (I'm guessing sonicyoda is running something similar). In order for your game to work, I'm guessing you would need a Nvidia card or ATI card.

Hello again. http://www.segadriven.com/ now has my last update on this year's SAGE uploaded. It's been an awesome event and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I would like to thank everyone for the feedback they've given me on my coverage and also for putting together some fantastic games. Fan-gaming is truly coming into its' own thanks to some of the awesome software and engines available to you guys and I definately want to see more from your projects as time goes on.

Anywho, the final four games I've reviewed are below:

Sonic Rebirth (review based on version uploaded 30/07/2009)

Super Sonic Knockout

Sonic Universe Adventure

Yet Another Sonic Minigame

Meh. That review of Project Mettrix pissed me off :P You bigged up Stealth's excellent engine, which, fair enough, deserves it; but you totally dismissed most of the stuff I've been working on for the last month. Fair enough, Shining Island that I made ten years ago now does look pretty shoddy but Bronze Lake looks like it was made in MS paint? I drew the whole thing from scratch in about two weeks without copying anything from existing sonic games and recolouring it like most people do - ok there're a few problems with the art that I didn't have time to fix before SAGE, but that's a harsh judgement.

And the music; you really think I have no idea about music from Sonic games? The track to Bronze Lake is extremely similar to the style of the music from Sonic 2 in particular, it's just arranged in a more modern way, with elements from dnb, dubstep and breakcore thrown in. If I replaced the lead bassline with a more genesis-sounding instrument, and switched the beat to a more snare-heavy yamaha synth kit you'd be hard pressed to lay that criticism on me.

I'm pretty miffed, but it's good to know what people aren't liking so I can make changes. What in specific bugged you about the art? It's probably all stuff I'm working on but maybe there's something that stands out to other people.

Also now's a good time to ask the forum in general about the music- the modern style was an experiment, is there anyone else who has a problem with it? I like that tune myself, the full version goes down well when I'm DJ'ing clubs, but I could make it more traditional if that's what people want.

I gotta say I agree I liked the demo because of the accuracy of the engine. But the music wasn't very good, I didn't really like any of it quite honestly. The graphics could use some work Bronze lake included. I don't think the problem is too bad I think you just need more contrast in colors and more detailed backgrounds. I wasn't a huge fan of the level design either though I wouldn't say it was awful bronze lake just felt kinda empty.

thank you very much for your review coverage this year. Your coverage on Sega Driven is a perfect example of how one can cover SAGE without having to insert random billy-o into the articles. Thank you very much.

Thank you very much, feedback is always appreciated.

Fair enough, Shining Island that I made ten years ago now does look pretty shoddy but Bronze Lake looks like it was made in MS paint? I drew the whole thing from scratch in about two weeks without copying anything from existing sonic games and recolouring it like most people do - ok there're a few problems with the art that I didn't have time to fix before SAGE, but that's a harsh judgement.

I agree that judging it in the same regard as Shining Island is a little harsh but there's definately something I'm not so keen on with the graphics. The stage is layed out and plays nicely enough but it just feels like the colours contrast too much.

I don't mean to sound rude but what you suggested for change there would definately make all the difference! I don't know if it's because I'm not a big fan of d'n'b or dubstep and what I said about the tune is just my taste in music being a bit bias, but it really doesn't seem to meld with the action. I'd suggest something a little more chilled and relaxed for a stage with so much water in it. For instance, Aquatic Ruin has a very Middle-Eastern lilt to it which I think would fit this stage a lot better.

Sorry if I pissed you off man but the unfortunate thing with game reviews is that no-ones taste is the same. If it's bugged you that much just ignore my comments and continue with your work because I'd rather see a complete game than for someone to take my words to heart and stop development all together.

Guest Unregistered
I agree that judging it in the same regard as Shining Island is a little harsh but there's definately something I'm not so keen on with the graphics. The stage is layed out and plays nicely enough but it just feels like the colours contrast too much.

There are a couple of problems I ran up against that unfortunately, cause of the SAGE deadline I didn't have chance to fix, for example, the poor shading on the mountains in the distance, the fact that there's only one, rush-drawn cloud in there to break up the orange sky, and the colours clashing on the blue, underwater rocks in the near background. Hopefully once I clear these up it'll look loads better.

Sorry if I pissed you off man but the unfortunate thing with game reviews is that no-ones taste is the same. If it's bugged you that much just ignore my comments and continue with your work because I'd rather see a complete game than for someone to take my words to heart and stop development all together.

Don't worry, I'm not exactly gonna give up and kill myself over one review, and it's nothing personal, it just wound me up is all :P