A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sony Lie Machine Just Keeps On Working

Eraysor

Disgaea 2 will not outdo the first without Atlus's money, and thats a fact.

And if you wanna pay 70-90 dollars for that stuff, be my guest. I personally am not that impressed by FF XIII. On the other hand, MGS4 didn't exactly 'blow me away' either.

It's NIS America.....

The RPG genre is terribly overrated. Almost as much so as the first person shooter genre.

And JRPGs will forever be vastly inferior to the wester RPG stylings of TES games and Bioware.

Maybe you just not an anime perosn...I guess. I love JRPGs..

Tales of Symphonia

Tales of Legedia

Tales of Destiny

Tales of Eternia

All were good in my opinion.

In all truth, Final Fantasy is the only RPG i really play.

Breath of Fire III, ToS, and Baten Kaitos were the only other RPGs i got occupied with.

the FPS Genre is completely fried, thanks to the frigging Xbox where 9/10 games is a freaking FPS or WWII remake.

FPS's are the complete same to me. Which is why im REALLLLLLLLY hoping that Ubisoft does good with Red Steel. (Of course, who cares about Ubisoft. Im waiting for Free Radical to make a game on Wii.)

Maybe you just not an anime perosn...I guess. I love JRPGs..

Tales of Symphonia

Tales of Legedia

Tales of Destiny

Tales of Eternia

All were good in my opinion.

That changes about nothing. I highly doubt I'll ever see a Japanese RPG that gives as much life to its world as Bethesda does to its. Most other Western RPGs operate out of an already highly developed world as the kicker.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

It's NIS America.....

And WHAT may I ask is NIS America? It's the company that publishes the games stateside currently yes, but what were you correcting me on is the question.

Lol. Western rpgs are just as bad as Japanese rpgs. The only difference is that the japanese rpgs tend to have over-the-top character design. And umm.. whoever made that "omb cheesy sci-fi wrpg" comment. You must be dense. Look at the FF series.

"The RPG genre is terribly overrated. Almost as much so as the first person shooter genre."

Granted, I do like Square Enix's stuff, but I mean really. Kingdom Hearts is like.. the sole exception.

That changes about nothing. I highly doubt I'll ever see a Japanese RPG that gives as much life to its world as Bethesda does to its. Most other Western RPGs operate out of an already highly developed world as the kicker.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

And WHAT may I ask is NIS America? It's the company that publishes the games stateside currently yes, but what were you correcting me on is the question.

From what know, NIS does the translats. Atlus does the publishing.

Sony is screwed.

As far as i see it, nintendo has won the first AND second quarter of the console race already, and they arnt even "participating". (bull____ nintendo.)

Even if they are the butt of every joke, AND have the cheepest system, 80% of the people getting new consoles say that their getting a Wii along with a 360. (eventully.)

Can you imagine the look on the average parents face when you point at a PS3 in best Buy and say "OHH I WANT THAT FOR CHRISTMAS MOMMY!"?

$600 system? $70-$100 games?

Aint no way in HELL jimmy gettin that ____ for christmas.

I really, really, really, REALLY hope all sony's bull____ finally backfires on them when the system launches and they arnt selling as much as they thought they would.

And i REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLY hope that the first few waves of PS3's are Defective, and they get complaints when they try to dodge repairing the $600 hardware inside the system.

----

About RPGs, the only companys i know that REALLY did RPGs well was Squaresoft, the guys who did Shining Force II, Capcom, and Sonic Team. (YES, Sonic Team. Phantasy Star IV was AWSOME.)

Although since FFX came out, the art style for Final Fantasy hasnt changed at all ever since the merger. (X-2 was obviously using FFX art styling, FFXI looks the same as FFX and so does FFXII.) FFX was the last TRUE orginal in the Final Fantasy series.

Breath of Fire III was the last good RPG Capcom ever did so far. I havent played Breath of Fire IV, and Dragon Quarter had a complete Engine Revamp (FFXII anyone) and it completely sucked compared to III.

Phantasy Star gets better with each and every game they make. Good work Sonic Team. ;D

It seems that even though we get systems that can do SO much more than before, the games of the past just had so much more put into them.

In all truth, i think that games of the past did better BECAUSE of the graphical limitations. Half of the success that FFVII got i believe was because of the graphics they used. The cheep little block characters just worked so much better. (For instance. My favroite RPG scene of all time was in FFVII when Aeris crossdressed Cloud and he got thrown in with all those guys. Could you imagine that scene done with more realistic characters? It wouldnt feel quite right.)

Its not only Videogames, Everything seems to be going downhill. Even saturday morning cartoons SUCK compared to the pure talent that used to be put into cartoons.

The old episodes of Rugrats still cause my 24 year old Siblings AND parents to laugh.

I dont know if any of you watched Animaniacs? There was a episode when one of the Animaniacs called out EVERY country on the planet, in a song, AND it freaking Rhymed. And, he did it in under like 3 miniutes.

Work Ethic of entertainment just isnt what it used to be..

EDIT-

About that animaniacs song, it was every country on the planet, in a song, rhymed, in UNDER 1:47.

http://thetravisty.com/Just_Funny/wmv/Animaniacs_-_Country_Song.htm

Its a cartoon, but how FREAKING long did that take?

In all truth, i think that games of the past did better BECAUSE of the graphical limitations. Half of the success that FFVII got i believe was because of the graphics they used. The cheep little block characters just worked so much better. (For instance. My favroite RPG scene of all time was in FFVII when Aeris crossdressed Cloud and he got thrown in with all those guys. Could you imagine that scene done with more realistic characters? It wouldnt feel quite right.)

I agree to a certain extent. The reason gameplay was more entertaining with the graphical limitations is because they didn't spend hundreds of hours on character models like the do now. Because so many resources are wasted on making the game as pretty as possible, less and less time and resources are left to actually put towards gameplay. I'd agree that a lot of game developers focus way too much on graphics. I'm glad that the Wii isn't as "powerful" as, say, the PS3, because developers are limited more so in the graphics department than either of the other two consoles. I'm hoping that this will allow for more time to be spent on gameplay and whatnot.

Dragon Quarter was bull____.

You couldnt transform without freaking killing yourself.

If i recall, Transforming into a dragon sped up a timer that was supposedly your life, and the timer couldnt be reversed. So if you used your dragon powers too much, you could put yourself in a position where you couldnt even beat the freaking game..

Sorry, but i loved in BOFIII being able to turn my character into a powerhoused badass with over 30 choices anytime i wanted. (or had Sufficent AP.)

There should be more games where the main character can transform into a freaking dragon. (Or a guy with long hair, wings and a tail. The Warrior dragon form was like more badass than freaking Sephiroth.)

(Reuters) - Sony Corp. said on Friday it had been ordered to pay an additional 27.9 billion yen ($243 million) in taxes related to transactions between its game unit and a U.S. subsidiary, and overseas transactions in its CD and DVD-making operations.

# Sony said the Tokyo Regional Taxation Bureau notified it and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc, its game unit, that a reassessment of reported profits from the transactions had resulted in an extra 74.4 billion yen income booked in Japan.

# The electronics conglomerate said it would fight the order and added it would also request bilateral consultations to avoid double taxation. The company said it does not expect a large impact on its group earnings.

"Sony and SCEI believe that their allocation of income for the periods in question was appropriate and that they have paid the proper amount of taxes in each of the jurisdictions," the two companies said in a joint statement.

# The transactions in question involve SCEI and the game unit's subsidiary in the United States from the financial year ending March 2000 through to March 2005.

# It also involves profits reported from transactions made between Sony's CD and DVD-making operations and a number of its overseas units for the two financial years to March 2005.

This is in addition to the nearly 100 Million US Dollars that Sony was ordered to pay in the UK for evading taxes related to the sale of Playstation 2 there.

ADD to that... the fact that in March 2005, Sony lost an appeal over the Immersion rumble technology suit where the court ordered damages were revised to $91 Million US Dollars.

243 Million + 100 Million + 91 Million = $434 Million US Dollars.... Sony owes

Sony got pwned...