A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

TGF2/MMF2 Flash Exporter Released $69

flame6753

So, its basically an enhanched version of the old Vitalize! plugin huh? I think I see this as being a somewhat positive step for smaller projects.

Also, this could make SAGE that much more interesting.

I was thinking the same thing. I think clickteam saw that the vitialize plugin was somewhat of a hassle to some users and that flash, being the universal plugin for browsers could expand clickteam games to a bigger audience. I don't know about you, but when I go to certain sites, I usually never install browser plugins from third parties. (I know vitalize is safe, but I bet other people have refrained from installing it for one reason or another). As for sage, maybe game Demo's displayed on booth pages as flash games before actually downloading them?

So is it like.. actually going to be part of the system or is it another plugin? And would something designed in a Clickteam product and then exported to Flash work as well as if it had just been done in Flash?

I don't really know much about making games in Flash? How's it work, exactly?

Edit: Not sure how I missed the link before.. :E

This causes me to bring up the question: if I design a game using Clickteam products, do they still "count" towards a portfolio? Of course, if at all possible, I'd much rather learn C++ but even after learning it'd still take an insane amount of time to get something going by myself. And designs are designs.. no?

Apparently, according to the site, you can "export .swf files", which are compatible just as any other .swf file.

Sounds pretty interesting, and as a new Vitalize it looks good, because V! only works well in Windows, while Flash doesn't have that problem, like Flame said.

Yeah, apparently there is going to be an update to MMF and TGF. Then when you save your stand alone application, you will be able to export as *.swf. So it is not another plugin, it is plain flash and Its going to be part of the application. As for it being as good as a flash application, gamewise I thinK click apps are much better in presentation value than flash games. But i mean, don't expect to be creating flash movies and cartoons all of a sudden. The interface is still going to be the same clickteam product you've come to know, but the export format will just be flash. Judging by those demonstrations, I'd say they'll come out fine. Of course, there will always be gltiches and differences between a normal stand alone app and a flash file you save just like with the java.

I don't really know much about making games in Flash? How's it work, exactly?

The project is shown as a timeline, since it's an animation program. But individual graphics can be coded to act differently, and individual frames of animation can be coded too. So you'd program the timeline to loop one frame over and over, and then you put in coding in each individual object to do what you need it to do (read key presses, move, animate, whatever). You also need to program the whole stage if you plan on scrolling, since Flash doesn't have a "camera" like Clickteam's stuff.

It's not a hard language to learn (I picked it up faster than C++), but I'd be lying if I said that the platform engine I made for a class was easier to make in MMF than in Flash (I never sat down to learn how arrays worked, so making a large level was complicated).

The prospect of making stuff in MMF and exporting it to flash is something I'm totally down with, but now I want full vector support :D

Hmm... This is interesting. Intriguing as well. The game I entered in last year's SAGE (Sonic Advent) was a stand alone .exe that was made straight from Adobe Flash. The coding for a lot of Flash nowadays is mostly done in ActionScript 3.0, but I'm only familiar with 2.0. Regardless, the syntax in both are fairly close, and ActionScript itself is very similar to C++.

I stopped using Flash for my game projects because 1) C++ has more to offer language wise 2) I can do more things with C++, it's my so to speak mother language for programming and 3) developing games in C++ doesn't require me to use Adobe's expensive software. Granted, with C++ I have to define all of the graphics options and animations myself, Flash wasn't really any easier with Sonic Advent, having to create the entire engine from basically nothing. I've got tons of code laying around if anyone ever wants to see some examples out of curiosity (Sonic Advent is defunct anyway...)

Anyways, being able to export things into a SWF file, I'm guessing, wouldn't entail one to learn Flash entirely, but merely translate the executing code into Flash. This has the advantage of being OS portable in a way by being browser based, even the PSP can play Flash; although some games can get pretty big. Also, SWF files are standalone too, not much messing around with other files or libraries. This sounds like a boon to anyone using MMF or TGF.

ActionScript is just glorified ECMAScript, just like JScript, JavaScript, etc... so from a PLC point of view, how the fsck is MMF compiling it shit to begin with? Is it interpreted? JIT? Now I'm kinda interested how it was done in the first place, cuz there's no way they're rewriting everything just to have this feature.

Yea i can't see this being nearly as awesome as people are making it out to be...

http://www.owensworld.com/flashgames/play-592.htm this game comes to mind, the controls fucking suck and everyone plays exactly the same, now i know that can be changed with a bit of programming, but it seems like flash can be limiting, I'm wondering if the conversion process will only allow a certain amount of events/programming/input. Neat I guess for smaller games like shut em ups and stuff.

No the update isn't out yet. But I have a legit copy of MMF 2 Standard, and I'll be checking this frequently so you can expect I'll try to export Sonic Worlds as soon as it's available. And actually here's something intesting. On the homepage, it also says "Pricing and release time line has not been announced at this time". So does that mean that we're going to have to pay a seperate fee for a liscence to add this function to the runtime?

So I reckon it'd just compile the needed libraries somehow inside the SWF or something and then just call it the main MMF EXE? This is fucking stupid if that's all it is. Couldn't you just fandangle that with Adobe Air or Google Gears or Cock Docking?

Not really, as I'm assuming they're just making Win32 calls to have the OS handle the EXE; there's no "translation" really going on.

The Flash version of MMF, works on my mac though, so there isn't any Windows stuff going on here. Like I said, Clickteam most likely took the engine code of MMF and used alchemy to create a flash implementation of it. Then, they'd just have a template swf file that they could insert your mmf game data via the new swf export option.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/alchemy/

That sounds about right. Lol, this might not be out for a while, so lets not jump to conclusions. However, I did notice they removed "zoom in" and "zoom out". I know you're not required to have that option, but before this was ever even announced, I always wondered how that would work in a flash / mmf crossover. But no, this doesn't look like a conversion or emulation at all.

It will certainly make my clickteam made applications more available to Mac users if anything.
Check out the Java runtime, then. In MMF2 Developer, there's an option to build a Java binary optimized for MacOS... or just a generic Java binary for any OS.

I've actually gotten Sonic Worlds to run on the latest released version of the Java runtime, but alphatransparency support is very different (it has to be done from the graphic editor, not the object's properties). Because of this, things relying on transparency being controlled this way won't work (this breaks the title card and messes up shields), as well as any semitransparent ink effects (water appears as a big black square). Oh, and there's no OGG support. WAVs and MIDIs only, really.

Yeah, I've had the same problem. The same thing happens when I build standard Java for any OS. I actually also tried to build sonic worlds, and besides the transparency problems, I noticed that the 360 degrees engine fails sometimes. One time he just bypassed all the slope detectors. But, I've got more hopes for this "flash export" than the java. Plus Clickteam did say the java still wasn't in its final stage, maybe they'll include in the next update. They say they're working on R249 right now.

The Flash version of MMF, works on my mac though, so there isn't any Windows stuff going on here. Like I said, Clickteam most likely took the engine code of MMF and used alchemy to create a flash implementation of it. Then, they'd just have a template swf file that they could insert your mmf game data via the new swf export option.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/alchemy/

Ooo good point.

I'm interested in how certain extensions work; namely ones that rely on Windows-specific shit, then.