A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Getting a new computer...

Aaron C-T

... don't know which exactly to get. At the moment I'm mainly looking for a desktop with 64bit Vista Home Premium/a Windows 7 upgrade, 4 GB of RAM, at least a 500GB HDD, with a dedicated graphics card with at least 512MB video memory, a TV Tuner would be sweet but isn't exactly a necessity (would allow me to sell the TV for some extra cash). I'd be using this for art (Maya 2009, Photoshop/Illustrator), recording music, and possibly for creating games. I'm looking for something under the $1,500 mark, although the aim is below $1,000. I've picked out 3 PCs that I think fulfill the requirements, but if anyone knows of any other deals or has any recommendations I'd love to know.

Dell Studio XPS 435 w/ 24" Monitor- $1,399

Gateway FX6710- $1,199

Gateway LX6810- $799 ($779 @ Best Buy w/ free Win7)

I'm also unclear on just how the Windows 7 upgrade works, I know Best Buy is starting it after June 26th, but I'm not sure if that applies to the manufacturer's as well and I'm looking to do one of the $30-45/month things, which I think only certain companies (Dell) offers and I'm not sure how it works.

You do have warranty... it just happens to be on individual parts rather than a whole system. Honestly, if you can't diagnose your problems yourself, I would recommend just ordering your computer from someone else. But Dell and Gateway probably aren't the answer. I'm not even kidding when I say that Dell is at least 50% higher than what you could get looking elsewhere.

DW: I can figure out most problems myself, but there are the few odd things that happen. What other vendors would you recommend?

Edit:

Apex SK-386 ATX Black Mid-T Case- $39.99

BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard- $159.99

Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache- $219.99

ATI Radeon HD 4830 512MB- $89.99

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB- $95.00

SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB HDD- $89.99

HP 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe- $25.99

Rosewill Internal Card Reader- $12.99

Microsoft Vista Home Premium- $224.99

ASUS 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor- $119

As far as the OS is concerned it seems like I should buy this instead, as it's $99.99 as opposed to $225, but I'm not sure what the deal is with the OEM version. System so far would cost 833.92, which is a bit more than the price of the Gateway LX6810-01, minus an extra 4GB of RAM and the TV Tuner, but with a better video card and more storage space. Still missing the fan and maybe a few other things? I can bring that down a bit by dropping the card reader and 1TB drive and going with a 750GB, or 2x 500GB. Also unsure of the motherboard as I couldn't pull it up in Newegg's Memory Configurator and I'd prefer at least another 2GB.

You could try cyberpowerpc. I can vouch that they'll at least send you a working computer and they'll do any labor you need within the first year. I got a family member's laptop from them and it's fine anyway.

Also, I wouldn't be buying windows vista right now if I were you... not unless you can get a guarantee for a free upgrade to the equivalent version of 7. Also, make absolute certain that whatever you get it's a 64-bit OS.

I'll check out cyberpowerpc for sure then. As far as Vista goes- yea, definitely. If I buy the computer from a vendor I wouldn't necessarily have to worry about it- I'd call and make sure I get the free upgrade, etc. If I build it on my own, though, I'd probably buy Vista from Best Buy after the 26th, which is when they start their free upgrades, I'm just figuring the in-store prices are roughly the same.

cyberpowerpc is expensiiive. Also I heard the internet has Vista for close to nothing these days.

I challenge you to find someone who will make a full system at the specs you request at a cheaper price. Seriously, it might not be as cheap as ordering your won shit and slapping it together, but if you are one of these guys who prefers the ability to post the problem on someone else if you can't solve it, it's the cheapest you can get it done as far as I've seen.

*hugs his nvidia GTX card*

Nvidia cards are dirt cheap nowadays, I stick with them and can't complain about much of anything in regards to crashing or anything. And if you grab a gtx card (make sure your case is big enough to house the fucking monster) your comp will be sure to eat any big time game you throw at it at least for another year.

I challenge you to find someone who will make a full system at the specs you request at a cheaper price. Seriously, it might not be as cheap as ordering your won shit and slapping it together, but if you are one of these guys who prefers the ability to post the problem on someone else if you can't solve it, it's the cheapest you can get it done as far as I've seen.

I could very easily tell him what parts to get, but why deprive him of the fun of building his own PC?

Also, checking reviews for cyberpowerpc online will show you it's a company you don't want to deal with anyways. "You get what you pay for" comes to mind.

Scatta, d/ling a OS is really no different than d/ling a song- just a way bigger file size.

I say to build you'r own. You can get a decent computer for a much less dollars(or other valutas). You can also ensure yourself to have the best without having to pay ridicoulusly high price.

I could very easily tell him what parts to get, but why deprive him of the fun of building his own PC?

Also, checking reviews for cyberpowerpc online will show you it's a company you don't want to deal with anyways. "You get what you pay for" comes to mind.

Scatta, d/ling a OS is really no different than d/ling a song- just a way bigger file size.

Checking the reviews of any PC vendor online will tell you that they are shit. Cyberpower actually checks out above the curve compared to most of them. Believe you me, I've researched this shit in depth.

And again, it's a moot point if you don't mention a group that does the job at a better price.

Just making a quick point here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/iBUYPOWER

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CyberPower

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Dell

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Hewlett_Packard

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Gateway

It's much cheap building one. I built one that cost 500 bucks and I can play Crysis, (24FPS Medium) and GTA 4 (about the same).

My build is like this.

RaidMax Scorpio $49.99

Athlon 64 X2 Black Edition 2.7 GHZ Duo Core (64$)

ESC Geforce6100PM-M2 V2 Mobo ($50)

9600 GSO 768 VRAM ($80)

160gb Western Digital HD ($40)

$285.95

However, if you don't want to build a computer yourself, then you can buy like like DW said.

Forgot ram. Anyway, You can build a pretty powerful computer for under 500 or just over 500.

I looked around Newegg and tried to bring the price of the last configuration I posted down while trying to match what was in the Gateway/Dell systems.

Necessary:

Apex SK-386 ATX Black Mid-T Case w/ 300w PSU- $39.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz- $229.99

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard- $134.99

NVIDIA N9600GT-MD1G GeForce 9600 GT 1GB- $80.99

Kingston HyperX 2GB- $28.99

Add-ons:

Broadway Com Corp 600W ATX Power Supply-$34.99

OCZ 700W Power Supply- $89.99

APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 500W ATX Power Supply- $39.99

PNY XLR8 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066- $69.99

Extras:

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD752LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache HDD- $64.99

LITE-ON Black 22X DVD Burner- $21.99

Microsoft Black USB Wired Desktop 600- $27.99

This time there's a better processor, a motherboard that supports more memory, and less storage space. Comes out to $739.99 for everything. $514.99 for necessary components. $109.98 for add-ons.