A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Getting a new computer...

Aaron C-T

I dunno, everytime i finish a new custom comp build and actually put it together, get it fired up and running, it's quite an awesome feeling. And if you feel worried about putting it together, I'm sure you have 1 friend somewhere in that group of friends that can put together a comp on the cheap/free.

So your suggestion to people who don't want to build their own box then is what, to throw themselves at the mercy of Walmart and Bestbuy?

Yes.

I looked around Newegg and tried to bring the price of the last configuration I posted down while trying to match what was in the Gateway/Dell systems.

Apex SK-386 ATX Black Mid-T Case w/ 300w PSU- $39.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz- $229.99

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard- $134.99

NVIDIA N9600GT-MD1G GeForce 9600 GT 1GB- $80.99

PNY XLR8 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066- $69.99

Kingston HyperX 2GB- $28.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD752LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache HDD- $64.99

APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 500W ATX Power Supply- $39.99

LITE-ON Black 22X DVD Burner- $21.99

Microsoft Black USB Wired Desktop 600- $27.99

This time there's a better processor, a motherboard that supports more memory, and less storage space. Comes out to $739.99.

If you can spare it, I suggest getting a better video card. Something from the nvidia gtx line. I think the cheapest is the gtx 260 and its something like $140 after a mail in rebate (Looking at EVGA brand cards because they make quality cards), it's a little more expensive but you'll be happy getting a better video card.

Also be sure your power supply is good and check to make sure all it can handle your components.

I dunno, everytime i finish a new custom comp build and actually put it together, get it fired up and running, it's quite an awesome feeling. And if you feel worried about putting it together, I'm sure you have 1 friend somewhere in that group of friends that can put together a comp on the cheap/free.

:)