A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SADE Engine - A C++ Game Engine

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know about the animation bug, but can you reproduce the bridge bug. I haven't noticed it disappearing before, though it doesn't behave they way I'd like it to anyways.

When I started off, I simply got to the bridge as fast as possible and parts of it are missing. after a few seconds, the missing pieces appear from the bottom of the screen and move back into place. Due to the test physics, all I need to gain speed was to jump from the small slope near the beginning and I'm quick enough to see it

When I started off, I simply got to the bridge as fast as possible and parts of it are missing. after a few seconds, the missing pieces appear from the bottom of the screen and move back into place. Due to the test physics, all I need to gain speed was to jump from the small slope near the beginning and I'm quick enough to see it

What is your system specs? This may be a problem with the scripting library that is specific to your processor. I did manage to get a single log to disappear, but that was a result of tweaking the script compiler.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Physics_Guide

Just going to drop this here. Couldn't help but notice that the physics were quite a ways off when I poked at this today.

I know this guide very well (because I changed physic values to whats in the guide lol). I'll have to rewrite the player object to follow those guidelines a bit stricter. As of now my priorities are to complete the engine (to at least Game Maker 7 feature set) and maximize speed and efficiency, which was my purpose of writing this engine (IE Game Maker was way too slow). But I will read further into the guide and make changes if possible. BTW, how accurate is the worlds engine? I might port it to my engine if its easy to do so.

What is your system specs? This may be a problem with the scripting library that is specific to your processor. I did manage to get a single log to disappear, but that was a result of tweaking the script compiler.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

4gb RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6700

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz

Here's a vid of me recreating the small bug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYJmwFcE3HY&feature=youtu.be

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

4gb RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6700

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz

Here's a vid of me recreating the small bug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYJmwFcE3HY&feature=youtu.be

Was the camera zoomed out like that the whole time? The camera is supposed to be set at a resolution of 320x240, but the video says otherwise. Neither my Radeon HD 7800 nor my crappy Intel HD Graphics 4000 does that. Even though the bridge is not supposed to do that, you wouldn't see that happen after it comes into view, so this might be 2 bugs I need to look into.

EDIT:

I solved the bridge bug. It was just a matter of initializing a few vars to zero. Now on to the possible camera bug.

• 2 months later...

It's been a few months since my last engine test. I've uploaded yet another, this time focusing on improving the underlying engine, not the Sonic engine running on top of it. I've fixed the OpenGL renderer in this build and it's enabled in the config file. Let me know if there any graphical issues with it. It would help me out a bunch if you guys were to post your Graphics Card specs and frame rate because I'm not sure which version of OpenGL your card may support, but SDL chooses the highest version supported.

My Dell Inspiron N5050 Laptop:

Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 2.3ghz

Intel HD Integrated Graphics 3000 (OpenGL 3.0)

FPS: 160 - 200

MY Custom Desktop Build:

AMD Phenom X4 965 BE @ 3.4ghz

AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB (OpenGL 4.1)

FPS: constant 60 (assuming the drivers limit OpenGL frame rate)

I'm not sure how it will behave with versions of OpenGL lower than 3.0 so feedback will be much appreciated. Lastly, you may experience a crash while starting up the game. This is not a bug in my engine, believe it or not, but the result of fixing a bug in my editor where two resources got the same ID number. To fix this would require starting the sonic engine over from a fresh project (which I'm too lazy to do). Just re-run it and it should start up.

EDIT:

Silently updated the config file. It had a incorrect path to the game data.

• 2 weeks later...

I've uploaded another test build, this time with updated physics! There are still a few bugs with platform objects etc, but I'll get around to fixing those soon. The DirectX 9 renderer is set to default in this version, but feel free to switch to the OpenGL renderer (renderer=1) if you wish to do so, they run just about at the same speed for me. I don't know if anyone is still interested in this project, but maybe soon I'll have a stable version of the SADE Editor ready to keep you guys interested. There are still some random bugs to fix and missing features to implement before I feel comfortable releasing the thing. But anyways, stay tuned and let me know what you guys think.

SADE_Test_5.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Getting an error saying I'm missing MSVCP110.dll

I got it from both demo 5 and 6. I tried updating DirectX like advised but mine is up to date.

Windows 8.1 Preview x64, Build 9431

22GB DDR3 RAM

Intel i7-3770 @3.4 ghz

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 4GB

I'm interested to see what kind of fps I get on this, any advice to get it running is good advice to me.

Got it.

Working under the assumption that is the fps counter at the top I get anywhere between 860 and 1400.

Runs pretty well. Although it's got a fair share of glitches in this demo. Collision detection gives out 100% halfway through the level and you go plummeting into the void. Corkscrews don't work, you can't go up from underneath bridges, Loop doesn't work properly, sprite layering is off, sonic is always on top.

Got it.

Working under the assumption that is the fps counter at the top I get anywhere between 860 and 1400.

Runs pretty well. Although it's got a fair share of glitches in this demo. Collision detection gives out 100% halfway through the level and you go plummeting into the void. Corkscrews don't work, you can't go up from underneath bridges, Loop doesn't work properly, sprite layering is off, sonic is always on top.

It runs as I expected. The problem with the loop lies with the layer switching method I'm using at the moment that allows for multiple layers rather than just having a low layer and a high layer. Corkscrews is next on my to-do list after I fix the platform bugs, like the bridge for example. As far as the rest of the level, where you fell through is where I stopped mapping collision masks. I only mapped enough to implement basic features and to sort of get a feel of how the rest of the level will be laid out (as you see layering is incorrect). The next version will have most of these bugs fixed.

• 1 month later...
Check the first post. You may need to update the visual c runtime. There is a link to Microsoft's website where you can download the update. What are your system specs btw?

I've got a windows 8, HP envy 9v6 laptop. It's custom built, so just saying that much won't tell you much. I have 2 i7 cores, and the Nvidia Geforce GT. It can run skyrim on full graphics with little to no lag. I'm unsure of exact specs, nor do i feel like finding them, it's been a while since i've tinkered with this baby.

And I have every version of VC from 2005 to 2012.

Edit:

It says this when I run either of the .exe s:

gqOJ8tB.png

Basic Check: "Try running in Admin mode".

I doubt lacking Admin mode would deny access to a core .dll but meh, worth a shot.

ENTER LONG HELP ATTEMPT:

"?in@?codecvt"

codecvt is a character set conversion function in C++, something that I've had problems with in the past due to the bit architecture (as in, 32-bit or 64-bit Windows versions). Could be that. I'm running 64-bit and it runs fine.

It won't be a performance function, since it seems to be a specific Windows function it's failing to find in a missing .dll which would indicate either: It's looking in the wrong folder (which could happen if the program is trying to reference the wrong bit architecture like I mentioned above)

OR

as Justin originally said your VS redistributable is out of date or non-existent.

I'd advise redownloading the VS Redistributable from Justin's link, if you haven't already.

And some questions if that doesn't work:

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

And Justin: What architecture is the program compiled for?

I forget how to check that with std C++ libraries...

Whatever, just some ideas. There's definitely a .dll it can't find/access somewhere, or at least an outdated one.

I've got a windows 8, HP envy 9v6 laptop. It's custom built, so just saying that much won't tell you much. I have 2 i7 cores, and the Nvidia Geforce GT. It can run skyrim on full graphics with little to no lag. I'm unsure of exact specs, nor do i feel like finding them, it's been a while since i've tinkered with this baby.

And I have every version of VC from 2005 to 2012.

Edit:

It says this when I run either of the .exe s:

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/gqOJ8tB.png[/qimg]

This is not a problem on my end, seeing that codecvt is part of the standard library which should be implemented in the runtime libraries provided by Microsoft in this case. Maybe your install of the runtime is corrupt? I'll just have to rebuild the engine linking to the static libraries instead of the dll's in future versions.

EDIT:

Try un-installing the 2012 runtime libraries and re-installing them, maybe you're out of date. The engine is just a 32-bit application, so you should be able to run it on 64 bit windows.

• 11 months later...

Hi all! Just posting to let you all know that this project is not dead, I'm just bogged down with college and personal stuff. I'm currently rewriting my custom editor in a way that allows more extensibility as the engine becomes more developed and streamlines the development process as a whole. I've decided to do away with the current pixel-based collision system and implement Box2D as my primary collision library. Currently, the level editor is my focus, as implementation of this style collision is not an easy feat considering ear-clipping, holes, concavity and what not, but I'm making progress. I'm also tossing around other ideas regarding mobile development using this engine, or atleast a more lightweight variant of it (not running a sonic 2 clone though...). So, slow progress is better than no progress, but things should pick up again once my editor gets closer to a more complete and stable build.