A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: Realm of Chaos (nearing completion)

honestly the only problem with unleashed was the lack of being able to slow down...as I progress to the later levels in this game I've been adding sections where you have to lay off on the boost and navigate some challenging platforming...having the ability to push a button and boost through fast action is great but having the ability to take control by releasing the same button is even better.

I do agree but it was my opinion and all. Opinions are not fact. Especialy mine xD.

ah yes..this is because when i record with hypercam i have to play the game with a very low draw distance however the player can manually change how far objects are when they begin to apear with the push of a button..this feature is also very useful for slow computers (such as mine) and,yes the games engine is complete, aside from some gimmicks, and is playable. I will include a demo for this game along with my SAGE entry.

Oh, okay, that takes care of that then. Very very impressive, I do like the looks of this game. Its on my "to-play" list for SAGE now (which keeps growing day by day)! I've actually got quite a few games I'm going to love to check out. I feel happy, SAGE 2008 was my first year here and I'm still here for another one to roll around...and a lot of the games this year so far are looking to be awesome =D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've played the game, and made a YoYo games review for you to read.

In short: Improvements (mainly in menu graphics, textures, and collision) and polish need your attention more than adding any extra stuff right now, but the game was enjoyable.

One last thing... DAMN YES REVERSE BUTTON!

• 4 months later...

Anyone who was interested in the last demo really needs to download this one.

Congratulations on this update FGR. It feels like a more complete experience with a nice results screen, collectables and a save system. The fog really helps put some depth into the levels. Oh, and the game doesn't take long to load either.

Now for a long list of critiques...

The only major con right now is navigation. It took me around 5 minutes JUST look for the first action stage and I'm currently a bit stuck. A game like this NEEDS a map or minimap system in place so people can easily locate:

1: The next level/important NPC to continue the story;

2: All the unlocked levels so far;

3: Possibly the direction Sonic is facing.

The only gameplay critique I can think of right now is the camera. The camera is very good at keeping focus on Sonic, but precision jumping can be a bit tricky when it's difficult to see the landing platform. I'm sure I'll get better with practice but if you roll the camera down slightly when the player is in the air, it will be easier to make those landings.

The camera can also move very abruptly when performing Homing Attacks, finding out how to make that transition smoother will make it easier on the eyes.

Speaking of the Homing Attack, you can destroy a badnik with it even if you can't see it or if it's behind you. Slightly disorientating at times.

The rest is mainly presentation. The main menu buttons don't look very good at all. They don't fit too well with the rest of the User Interface and are horribly resized.

The "do you want to go back to menu/quit game" messages are still their GM boring-gray-box defaults. There are functions for changing how they look (mainly 'message_background()' and 'message_button()').

NPCs will show their messages even if you're really high above them. I guess this is because you have forgotten to set a boundary to the z axis.

One more thing. This project deserves a nicer looking logo. I can work one out for you if you give me the image dimensions.

A logo? I would be honored!

The game's window is 800px by 480px so something around half those dimensions would be nice. But any size can do as I could re-size or reorganize as necessary.

as for your other crituques. I will keep them in mind. I bet I can add in an overhead map that can be turned on and off.

Also there is a .zip version availible for those who dislike the clickteam installers:

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/111145/download

There is also an .exe that when placed in the games folder and run can fix a bug which would normally would prevent from accessing the final level. But its somewhat buggy itself with loading game files. But using it and deleting the old one should give you no problem (that is...if you don't mind starting over and its only an extra final zone that you are missing).

here is the patch exe: http://www.mediafire.com/?m2lnmzggwzb

texture overlay, hard chiseled bevel with roughly 3 pixels, drop shadow by roughly 2 pixels, duplicated layer ran through a min filter, texture overlay, gradient overlay, text over the top with some wacky stencil font, soft beveling with roughly 2 pixels, gradient overlay, tie the whole thing up and then stroke the giant mass with either 2 or 3 pixels of black... How close am I?

Would have been fine had it not been for the stencil font with the soft bevel. That just clashes with the whole thing.

You have a very good eye for graphics DW. Pretty much everything except for the order and min filter part... PhotoImpact doesn't have a min filter.

Dammit, I forgot I kept the soft bevel. I was meant to make that a hard chisel. Time to reupload...

realmofchaos.png

man, i'm almost beating this game, but there's only 1 emerald remaining. I remember that those last 6 emerald I think I found in action fields.

How many emeralds there are in each action field, im exploring deeply the action fields for the last emerald to acess the final stage.

Also the gameplay is very smooth, even the levels seems a little blocky, but that's ok for this kind of game i mean.

The space level is pretty hard! Although i passed that level!

man, i'm almost beating this game, but there's only 1 emerald remaining. I remember that those last 6 emerald I think I found in action fields.

How many emeralds there are in each action field, im exploring deeply the action fields for the last emerald to acess the final stage.

Also the gameplay is very smooth, even the levels seems a little blocky, but that's ok for this kind of game i mean.

The space level is pretty hard! Although i passed that level!

There's a bit of a bug we found...the 7th emerald is not possible to get...big opps on my part (forgot to write the increase as a global variable) ...but I plan to release some patches after drawing up the adventure field maps..and will release the final level individually so people such as yourself will not have to beat every level again.