A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Final Fantasy 8 Was For PC? o.O

Aaron C-T

FF8 is okay. My mom bought it for my PC back in the day. But my computer was too slow to play it. Loading took about 2 minutes between each screen.

When my grandpa got his PC in 2001, I played it on there, and it ran smoothly. It's an interesting game. But $15? Meh.

The best thing about the PC version was Chocobo World. It was originally on the PS1 version to be used on something similiar to the Dreamcast's VMU. Since the device was never ported outside of Japan (or if it was, sales sucked horribly), I think they took it out of all other versions.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the UK they still sell them used for £20, which is at least $30 if not more.

Taking a quick look through the manual (PAL version, this territory was even less likely to see a release than the USA), it says that the PocketStation (the VMU type device) may not be available outside of Japan. Despite this, there's a full explanation of how to use it.

meh...this torrent is taking forever (I can't just let it run overnight, cause my mom needs the internet at 6AM and she works every night but monday, thursday, and weekends till 10PM, so usually I don't get to torrent till 10:30ish when everyone is sleeping and I'm watching adult swim. And if I try using my laptop to steal my neighbor's internet, I get a crappy connection anyways.

'Bout 5 hours left. In the mean time, I'm progressing well in FF7, regardless of my lack of MP3s for the FF7 Music patch or whatever.

Yo gents, I own FF8 PC and I happen to like it a smidgeon more than the PSX version.

And for the record, I hate Knights of Round. It was probably the ugliest summon in FF7, completely threw off any balance in power, and completely took any real strategizing out of killing any of the Non-initial Japanese Version only weapons. I seriously sat trying for 3 hours one day trying to beat Emerald with just two mastered double cuts, a couple mimes, and a master command and a bahamut-zero + quadramagic + W-Summon combo for the eyes, and I couldn't get squat on him simply because I would do the crap with the eyes (not aire tam storm, and no, I didn't do the stupid 9 or more materia = instadeath thing). Afterwards I just did one KOR and 3 mimes over and over and over again untill it died and had no trouble doing it at all. It is lame when they make the only real way to kill something be a lame trick or horribly unbalanced gameplay gimick abuse (I'm talking about 7777s)

And Ruby was even worse... being a total ____ design for a monster that can only be harmed seriously by 7777s, bahamut summons, or KOR... and bahamut summons can't possibly put a dent in his ungodly MP, and I can't even begin to say how stupidly unbalanced the rest of that ____ is... and the reward was the worst thing in the world.

Its fully possible to beat both emerald and ruby without 7777 and KotR. I have beaten emerald twice without it, and ruby once without it. It takes a while though. I spent around 2 hours taking out emerald. I spent 2 days taking out ruby ( I only played a little bit each day though, so around 4 hours ). Its not the hardest fights in a rpg that I have fought. They are pretty easy, they just take incredibly long,and its easy to lose focus and concentration. Its vital to keep your cool and be focused all the time. A single slip makes the difference. It also helps to have Cloud pretty powerful. Also, you need W-Summon Final Attack and Omnislash

I don't know why they got rid of all the normal summons for XII. They better have some big dragons or something. Might be nice to see some new designs.

It's in the FFTA world, so Adrammalech (iono how to spell it) is in it as a summon. He's a dragon.

Ogtrax, 2 hours is too long to fight a boss where all other opponents in the game at that point, including the last 3 bosses in a row, can take as little as 3 turns to defeat. And yes, I mean that I killed Jenova Synthesis, Bizarro, and Safer in under 3 player turns total each simply with 4x cut and quadra+BZ and W-Summon. And yeah, I had all of the mastered materia except master summon anyway when I fought Emerald, so of course I also had final-attack+phoenix and it goes without saying that I had omnislash. I actually have made a concerted effort to have finishing touch before fighting Apps before.

In any event, I certainly don't have the patience to fight a boss for 2 days when I can kill any other boss with relative quickness.

And without KOTR/7777, I'd say that Ruby/Emerald are harder bosses than any other bosses within the FF series, hands down. And I beat the optional bosses in FF5...

And yes, I mean that I killed Jenova Synthesis, Bizarro, and Safer in under 3 player turns total each simply with 4x cut and quadra+BZ and W-Summon.

I would love to see a video of that. Or anyone doing it for that matter.

• 4 weeks later...