A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Metroid movie

Aerosol

I don't know why I got thinking about this today. I haven't been playing any metroid games recently after I got jipped out of truly finishing Metroid Prime 2 a few years ago. But still, would a Metroid movie be so bad? Samus' life with the Chozo hasn't even been touched upon, and that can't possibly be a bad premise for a movie. An orphan girl that survived a pirate attack on a colony is raised by a race of technologically advanced aliens. You could even go further back with her life on the colony itself.

Plus, a movie with a war-ish theme wouldn't be so bad either. Maybe even a Metroid Prime 3 adaptation.

In before "all videogame movies are horrible".

Videogame and films are two things that should never be combined again. Unless Virgin Interactive is making it, or Traveler's Tales. With that out of the way: maybe? Samus' early life has been covered in a manga released a few years ago, that pretty much covered the whole childhood-ridley-chozo stuff. And I unno. I was receptive to the idea a few years ago when I was still a fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar, which everyone shot down at the time.

Uhm where was I? I guess it could be a good idea, but I don't care if it happens either way.

Yea, keywords are 'could be'. The problem with alot of videogame movies is that they are approached with a strictly adaptive view. Few ever try to capture the feel of the game in movie form. Tomb Raider was never about fantastic gun battles (atleast until the movies made it that way).

Videogame and films are two things that should never be combined again. Unless Virgin Interactive is making it, or Traveler's Tales.

Exactly. I simply don't want it. I would go with an anime, rather than a Hollywood movie (although game-based anime have a tendency to suck as well).

Guest Shadix

IIRC a Metroid movie sounded like a pretty solid deal several years back... I wonder what happened to it. (It vanished just like the Halo movie)

John Woo got the rights, then they expired, then they got them again.

And not all videogames make great movies, granted. But that doesn't mean none of them do. I don't want this topic to be derailed from the subject of a metroid movie, but a Final Fight movie would kick ass if it contained only ridiculous ass kicking of multitudes of idiots.

I want to fuck Sarah Michelle Gellar's face so hard. You guys don't even know. But I don't think she's very Samus-y. She looks kinda frail. Samus all tough and shit; she's the kinda chick that wears the pants in the relationship.

And probably a strap-on. I'm just sayin'.

I think a Metroid movie would be pretty...crappy. Unless it went the Prime 3 route (TALKING WITH PEOPLE! NO TIME FOR ATMOSPHERE, THERE'S EXPLOSIONS AND SHIT! FINISH THE FIGHT MASTER CHIEF!), a movie would be Samus walking around and grunting, shooting the occasional blobby dude. Sure, you can use all the forgettable guys from Prime 3 or make up your own generic spacemen, but it'd be pretty forced, IMO.

I mean, any plot in the franchise is either in the beginning, slapped on in Fusion and Prime 3, or buried deep in Prime 1's logbook. I guess you could do a movie about her backstory, but I don't care about a girl that got raised by birds.

Not to hate on Metroid, I just think it works best when all you hear is creepy music with no talking at all.

• Like 1

The (a) problem with Video Game -> Movie transitions is that video games are already thinly-veiled, watered-down adaptations of an amalgamation of popular culture movie plots (less so these days, but Metroid definitely). I'm not saying they were horrible game stories or anything and with the right crew, any movie can surpass its medium, but I don't really see the point other than to capitalize on nostalgia.

But I guess there will be a time when video game movies become as good as comic book movies (2 misses to the hit though they be, there are some very good ones), after a large enough pop culture fan base grows to make it popular both among shallow viewers and those looking for a deeper experience. I'd give it another 15 years.

I want to fuck Sarah Michelle Gellar's face so hard. You guys don't even know. But I don't think she's very Samus-y. She looks kinda frail. Samus all tough and shit; she's the kinda chick that wears the pants in the relationship.

And probably a strap-on. I'm just sayin'.

I think a Metroid movie would be pretty...crappy. Unless it went the Prime 3 route (TALKING WITH PEOPLE! NO TIME FOR ATMOSPHERE, THERE'S EXPLOSIONS AND SHIT! FINISH THE FIGHT MASTER CHIEF!), a movie would be Samus walking around and grunting, shooting the occasional blobby dude. Sure, you can use all the forgettable guys from Prime 3 or make up your own generic spacemen, but it'd be pretty forced, IMO.

I mean, any plot in the franchise is either in the beginning, slapped on in Fusion and Prime 3, or buried deep in Prime 1's logbook. I guess you could do a movie about her backstory, but I don't care about a girl that got raised by birds.

Not to hate on Metroid, I just think it works best when all you hear is creepy music with no talking at all.

Well that's what I was saying. For there to be any kind of drama or interaction, a Metroid movie would either have to include Adam, or be set in a situation similar Metroid Prime 3.

Come to think of it, a situation like Metroid Prime Hunters wouldn't be too bad either. Give Samus a competent partner, and splice action with partners where Samus and this partner (or Adam, even) talk about each other's backgrounds with flashbacks.

Lastly, the reason why I didn't suggest an actress is because no actress could play Samus. Why? Look at the shoulder width on that suit. That's why. An animated movie would definitely be best, were it to be done.

Honestly, I think that it would make a great movie, but it would be more along the lines of Aliens. She'd be sent to some planet with some people, and then they all get wiped out but a few. There's a few people who help her, but in the end all of them but Samus die. As for the suit, it can be done. It would probably be based more on her classic suit, but it can be done.

Guest Shadix
The (a) problem with Video Game -> Movie transitions is that video games are already thinly-veiled, watered-down adaptations of an amalgamation of popular culture movie plots (less so these days, but Metroid definitely). I'm not saying they were horrible game stories or anything and with the right crew, any movie can surpass its medium, but I don't really see the point other than to capitalize on nostalgia.

But I guess there will be a time when video game movies become as good as comic book movies (2 misses to the hit though they be, there are some very good ones), after a large enough pop culture fan base grows to make it popular both among shallow viewers and those looking for a deeper experience. I'd give it another 15 years.

I've never thought of it like that...

Honestly, I think that it would make a great movie, but it would be more along the lines of Aliens. She'd be sent to some planet with some people, and then they all get wiped out but a few. There's a few people who help her, but in the end all of them but Samus die. As for the suit, it can be done. It would probably be based more on her classic suit, but it can be done.

That would be a good concept.

Probably the only one that would fit the Metroid theme.

The could possibly use Prime 2's story mixed in there somehow.

Other then that Video game movies fail and usually don't follow the games.

Ex: Super Mario Bros. *shudders*

Yeah I know he was talking about the movie.

I thought he was saying that the movie followed the games because in the games Bowser used to be a human.

I wasn't sure.

Anyways >.>

[Offtopic]

I don't know if this would happen but there is also that random Half life looking video project that popped up recently.

It is fan made though.

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/1503/Whats_in_the_Box__A_Valve_Project_Viral_Video.html