A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The Process.

This more of a question to those who actually made past the engine test phase of there game (fangame or not).

How do you guys go about making your game? Do you write your ideas down? Flowcharts, design documents? I usually just jump straight in (which is most likely the problem).

What do you if you get like 10 different idea while working one idea?

Just some question I've been worrying about.

I try to get something working as soon as possible, then start extending it and refactoring when needed, much like an evolutive process.

The best example is my 3d engine i started with a crappy walk animation and very basic motion and floor detection. Then i figured out how to make realtime slope detection using rays, i made tens of tries and chosen the best method, polished it and refactored the code a couple of times, the same with all the other features.

I ussually have 10-20 ideas-features to add to the engine in my head, i implement them as i need them, i consider the best moment to do it, or just when i figure out a very cool way of doing it.

I write design documents AFTER the implementation is ready and tested. Or just don't write them xDDDD

I never start work until I've properly planned out what I am aiming for, this, for me is the key to anyone wanting to start a game. When I started to plan out my Sonic Dash game, I planned out what I wanted in my first demo release, which was basic movement and a few bits and bobs. Once I have finished that, I will start aiming for my Second Demo Release which will be a full level... And so on.

Getting the basic resources is another good idea as well as only do what you know you can do, if you can't do it, LEARN!

While I design my game, I like to kick ass and chew gum... and I'm all outta gum.

I start with a gameplan, so I guess that you could say flowcharts. With a team, I delegate jobs to each person based on priority. Then, it all gets brought together through either Taxman or myself. It's usually Tax though, since he knows how to compile RSDK stuff properly.

I have a notebook of pictures, notes, and (yes) spreadsheets. Laugh all you want (hell, I do sometimes), but it helps everything in the long run.

I have a notebook of pictures, notes, and (yes) spreadsheets. Laugh all you want (hell, I do sometimes), but it helps everything in the long run.

Same for me. I have a notebook plastered with menu designs, lists, all kinds of stuff. Formulas, and code snippets as well. It really helps on the way.

Even though I scrapped tons of WIP engines 'till now, maybe the RPFG will somewhat appear someday.

The main reason why it helps so much, is the simplicity it gives you. If you list features and stuff in a text file, it also helps, but having paper makes it more complete. Lines, drawings, that's a big plus.