A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Aria of Destiny: New Blog

Candescence

Well, it can't be helped, honestly. But...

sotnfansgonnaloveit.png

New area in the works. SOTN fans are gonna get a massive kick outta this. Yes, the trees and the background are paralax, and there's a boss fight in the keep. It's beginning to look like the best-looking stage of the lot so far.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, if someone oh-so desired, they could modify the sourcecode. But it would ideal to wait for Construct 2.

Also, another screenshot! Imageshack is crapping out on me right now, so I'll upload the shot via the post instead.

And, yes, there's a new health/MP bar. Domenico's, to be exact. Because the old one was horrible.

post-2532-138639763539_thumb.png

No, Blender's Game Engine isn't OGRE-based. Very different kettles of fish.

i was answering to "3D version of construct", and with the new features added in the last months, like a cleaner python API, octrees and occlusion culling i could say it is a pretty powerful engine.

i was answering to "3D version of construct", and with the new features added in the last months, like a cleaner python API, octrees and occlusion culling i could say it is a pretty powerful engine.

Not really the same. Blender doesn't have an event system like Construct, which is arguably just as good as using Python - it's like a super-high-level programming language, really.

Not really the same. Blender doesn't have an event system like Construct, which is arguably just as good as using Python - it's like a super-high-level programming language, really.

Which is interesting when you consider that Construct uses Python as well...

Okay, here's the deal at the moment - It's crunch time. SAGE is coming up, and I need something done. SO! I'm going on a progress binge. Hopefully, soon, I'll have every area up to Guardia Castle completely done, bosses, enemies, the lot. Actually, chances are I'll finish THAT by next week. Hopefully.

Right now, I'm working on getting all of the Guardia Castle enemies done by the end of today.

Ahem. Gentlemen.

phantasie.png

I present, Phantasie City. Basically, the only area besides the Hideout that has no enemies, and will likely have shops and NPCs. Basically, I used some scratch City Escape sprites I found lying around on Spriter's Resource (sheet by Nebula, I think), plus Area C sprites from Mega Man ZX that I ripped myself.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not a fan of how his afterimage reddens, although there's every chance it looks better in motion, I suppose.

I can change the colour easily, I suppose a darker blue would work better. TBH, it's a result of me copy-pasting the event from Blaze's sheet and not bothering to change the colour. XD

I'm interested in seeing this, and whether you'll manage to prove my skepticism regarding crossovers wrong.

I'll try and at least made it technically solid and fun, though don't expect it to be the best fan game ever. Then again, it's automatically better than most already, I guess, considering Sturgeon's Law.

Edit: Relocating post, Kthanks.

Quick bump for the sake of new content... I'll preview these cutscene frames.

frame2w.png

(Yes, the bar scene has been re-done, the only scene that is animated is the opening cutscene, now. Did I tell you in-game animated cutscenes are a total pain in the ass?)

frame2d.pngframe2y.pngframe3.png

frame3i.pngframe6.pngframe2j.png

frame7.pngframe1.png

Edit: Also -

A five MB GIF, perhaps just using Youtube isn't such a bad idea after all...

throwingrandomcrap1.pngthrowingrandomcrap2.png

Throwing random crap (and Dan Hibiki) for the win! This is the snowball throw that Wario used in the original trailer, except now it fufils its original purpose - random things to throw!

When Sonic's running so fast that he has an after image and then he jumps, his jump sprite should have one as well. Not too big a deal, though. I do think he's way too slippery, though, with how you slid across that portion of the level facing the wrong way. It's like he's got no traction because he oiled his shoes before hand.

When Sonic's running so fast that he has an after image and then he jumps, his jump sprite should have one as well. Not too big a deal, though. I do think he's way too slippery, though, with how you slid across that portion of the level facing the wrong way. It's like he's got no traction because he oiled his shoes before hand.

I am aware of it, though I don't see it as THAT much of an issue, as I believe it can work as a disadvantage the other characters don't have - Sonic may be faster, but he is harder to control at high speeds. Normally, the Back-Dash you get after beating the Dragon Tank (think every Castlevania Metroidvania ever) would help to alleviate this, but I'm gonna make it unusable while running. However, running against the speed you've gained is still viable, as you'll go a much further distance if you simply let go of the controls.

Also, the after-images extend to pretty much every animation that occurs while Sonic is at high speed, now.

Edit: Anyway, I'll also detail other changes to pre-existing stuff since the previous build...

- Though Julius can only whip in one direction, he'll more or less be the only character who can kill Buzzbombers in one hit with a main attack before you leave the Marble Zone, unless you grind like hell. Yes, there's a leveling system, as one could already figure out, complete with stats that are visible from the pause menu.

- Julius' whip animations have a slightly extended period where he holds the whip out at it's longest length, also making it easier to hit things. And if that don't work, there's always the axe.

- The Elec Ball will now properly track any enemies closest to Ashe.

- Everything can damage, and I've also streamlined the damage thing considerably, and damage is displayed Castlevania Metroidvania-style. God, I love families.

- The damage system now includes elements/attack types, such as blunt, blade, electrical, fire/explosive, water/ice, light, and dark.

-The pause menu now can be properly switched on and off with the P key.

- EVERYTHING can now be used via the keyboard. The title screen uses a particle effect to show what menu option you're selecting with the arrow keys. The all-new Panel object in Construct 0.99.4 serves as the selection indicator for the Character Selection screen.

- Julius can now slide properly.

- Loading and saving now works perfectly.

- Cutscenes can be skipped with the enter key.

- And now there's an actual game-over screen, the game doesn't crash immediately when you die.