A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Aria of Destiny: New Blog

Candescence

There are three aspects of the multiverse which keep everything in check. Creation, Existance, and Destruction. These aspects revolve in harmony with each other. However, evil can disrupt this balance, and now it intends to use the aspect of destruction to eliminate existance, and halt creation...

G'day. This little project is something I'm planning to do for my Multimedia major. It's a metroidvania crossover, and I've spent a month on it getting the main engine together, three main areas, and 5 characters. I present:

ariatitlescreenscreendi5.png

ariascreen1ol4.png

ariascreen2ba8.png

This game is made in Construct, a relatively new game maker program that, though in beta stage and can be somewhat buggy due to that, is open source, completely free, and freakn' awesome. Still, my game is by no means perfect, I haven't fully mastered Construct.

The Demo! (Requires DX9)

HOW TO PLAY:

This is a Metroidvania, a platforming game which only limits you to your character's abilities - exploration is not only possible, but reccomended!

AREAS:

- Forest

- Marble Zone

- Hideout

There is supposed to be the city of Phantastie in-between MZ and the Hideout, but that hasn't been done yet.

CONTROLS:

Movement: Arrow Keys

Jump: Shift

Attack: Control

Sub-attack: Control + Up

Fall through platforms: Down +Jump

Crouch: Down

Use portal/Save Point/Talk: Up

Cutscene progression: Shift

CHARACTERS:

Ashe - uses a pistol

Julius - uses a whip

Sonic - can jump into enemies to attack (control on its own is his sub-attack button)

Wario and Crono aren't playable in this demo.

KNOWN PROBLEMS (I'm not perfect, ya know.):

Minor:

- Yes, I am fully aware that some animations look a bit wonky thanks to the hotspots.

- Moving platforms may make the camera screw up a bit, though it was a much worse deal than it is now, thankfully. This is a Construct problem, though, to my knowledge, but considering the devs are awesome people who update with new versions every so often, this might be fixed soon.

Crashes:

- Crash going Forest -> Marble Zone -> Forest -> Marble Zone

- Crash going from Hideout -> Marble Zone

Tell me what you guys think. I'm striving to improve, and hopefully make a fun, finished product.

And anyone who complains about the cutscene after the boss... I'm sorry, I just find it easier to do it like that rather than in-game cutscenes, much less hassle.

As well, if there are any artists/spriters willing to help out with the visuals in general (ESPECIALLY the area graphics, and I suppose a better HUD than my crappy one would be nice), it would be marvelous, and really appreciated. I am a terrible artist, and not that good a spriter, really.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, you're, like, the third person to actually post about this game anywhere outside of the Construct forums. XD Dammit, I need more crit, I can't exactly improve if people don't point out the flaws.

Edit: Well, Cybogar told me at this sort of attention is NORMAL. So, go figure. XD

Hey man, so you're deving with Construct right? That's quite interesting. Heard about it a year back and some, and it sounded like a great tool, being open source and free and all. It's nice to see someone out there using it.

Can't play the demo right now on my comp (running Linux, not WINE) but I checked out your vid. Things were looking sweet as far as I could tell. The month of work obviously shows very postively, and I think it's great how you were able to get a decent amount of unique characters and each give them distinctive abilities. Man, playing as Chrono would be pretty nice, can't wait to give it a try.

The only problem I'm really concerned with is that the character sprites might clash. With the exception of Chrono, the other characters are Advance/DS (similar enough) styled sprites, but you've got elements of Genesis era sprites too. If your point is to make a game just to make a game that's fun to play without any second thought, this is no big deal, personally it doesn't matter much with me. But some people are the type to nitpick.

Heh, well, I try. Amazingly, I somehow managed to get everything working in a way that wasn't total crap. XD Yeah, Construct is a wonderful tool, and I've seen people do amazing things with it.

As for the sprite note... I am aware of the clash, but I'm working towards something that's just plain fun to play, visually consistency is by no means a concern for me. Though, the environments get a hand-wave thanks to the setting being in a world that changes through the thoughts and memories of those who inhabit it, and thus environments can look wildly different. Granted, that doesn't excuse the characters, but STILL.

so, the main issue is: The only people that bother to comment use Linux, and it doesn't work for us ;_;

XD

PS: I didnt know there were so "many" Linux users in this forum xD

Edit: from what i have seen in the trailer, i'd say that the most visible issue is the camera, could be a bit smoother.

I'm not a fan of crossovers, to be honest, so I'll just skip commenting on the story.

A map would be a nice addition if possible, at least the 'You are here' type when you enter a save point.

Platforming segments need to be redone, as well as polishing the engine a bit. For example, when you get Sonic, and go right for a good while, there's the platforming segment where you have a bunch of those 'log' platforms that lead to a mana upgrade. Finishing that was really, really, really, frustrating. Not because it was difficult, but because jumping was kinda awkward, as well as the positioning of the platforms, making me miss more because of the game than lack of skill.

Belmont's whip attack needs to be fixed, because hitting something with it is almost impossible.

Also, the positioning of the robo bees that stand still and shoot is just cheap, they're within an arms reach of Sonic's maximum jump height (without having a running start).

That's all I have for now. Overall, I suggest polishing the physics in the engine first, or else you'll discourage people from exploring.

I'm not a fan of crossovers, to be honest, so I'll just skip commenting on the story.

Fair enough.

A map would be a nice addition if possible, at least the 'You are here' type when you enter a save point.

Well, with THIS particular level, unfortunately, I was silly enough not to scan the map design I had drawn up and place the tiled backgrounds over it. I suppose I should fix it up a bit to make it actually look good on a map.

Platforming segments need to be redone, as well as polishing the engine a bit. For example, when you get Sonic, and go right for a good while, there's the platforming segment where you have a bunch of those 'log' platforms that lead to a mana upgrade. Finishing that was really, really, really, frustrating. Not because it was difficult, but because jumping was kinda awkward, as well as the positioning of the platforms, making me miss more because of the game than lack of skill.

At first, I see what you mean. I guess the multiple direction movement wasn't a terribly good idea in hindsight, limiting them to just one movement sounds like a better idea. And the positioning definately needs work, I'll have that fixed too.

... And, there we go. The positioning is better now, the platforms either move horizonally or vertically but not both, and heck, some of them are longer! I'll upload the fixed version when I can.

Belmont's whip attack needs to be fixed, because hitting something with it is almost impossible.

Really? He can attack while crouching too, I guess the enemies just aren't suited to fighting with the whip... BatBrain stubbornly has a tendency to go under, though, I'll see about fixing that.

Also, the positioning of the robo bees that stand still and shoot is just cheap, they're within an arms reach of Sonic's maximum jump height (without having a running start).

They're supposed to be an easy enemy for a first area, mind you, and the shots are angled like that intentionally... Moving the angle forward barely makes a surprising difference. Enemies will get more difficult to kill as the game progresses, trust me.

That's all I have for now. Overall, I suggest polishing the physics in the engine first, or else you'll discourage people from exploring.

I've already re-tooled the floating platforms... Not like you'll see anything like those again, thankfully. Unless you can give specifics like acceleration or jumping height, or platform placement etc, I'm afraid the physics is beyond my control.

Really? He can attack while crouching too, I guess the enemies just aren't suited to fighting with the whip... BatBrain stubbornly has a tendency to go under, though, I'll see about fixing that.

Most problems I had were with airborn enemies, trying to time the whip with the jump wasn't exactly fun. Maybe you could add 8-way whipping like in Super Castlevania IV for the SNES (I think it was that one...)? Would be a fair trade in, considering Castlevania enemies aren't as mobile as Sonic ones.

They're supposed to be an easy enemy for a first area, mind you, and the shots are angled like that intentionally... Moving the angle forward barely makes a surprising difference. Enemies will get more difficult to kill as the game progresses, trust me.

You misunderstood me, I meant 'cheap' as in 'cheap way to make them more difficult'. I found it extremely frustrating to have to reach running speed and then jump to kill them (using Sonic). It kinda killed the purpose of Sonic's advantage of having the highest jump.

Unless you can give specifics like acceleration or jumping height, or platform placement etc, I'm afraid the physics is beyond my control.

It took me long enough to do a single playthrough, so if you can wait until Sunday, I'd be happy to give you some more criticism and advice (I'll hopefully have enough free time to try this).

Most problems I had were with airborn enemies, trying to time the whip with the jump wasn't exactly fun. Maybe you could add 8-way whipping like in Super Castlevania IV for the SNES (I think it was that one...)? Would be a fair trade in, considering Castlevania enemies aren't as mobile as Sonic ones.

... That's an awesome idea. I haven't played IV, so no bloody wonder I hadn't though of it! Thanks! Though, this is gonna take a bit of re-tooling for Julius' sprites...

Edit: Well, I'll be damned. Simon's CIV sprites are roughly the same size as Julius'. I could edit those sprites to look like Julius... Well, I don't think I'll be able to do that good a job at it. XD

You misunderstood me, I meant 'cheap' as in 'cheap way to make them more difficult'. I found it extremely frustrating to have to reach running speed and then jump to kill them (using Sonic). It kinda killed the purpose of Sonic's advantage of having the highest jump.

OH. I'm so sorry. The problem is acceleration! I suppose the way it normally works, it can make Sonic too fast or too slow. I'll see about doing something about this, certainly... *Does a bit of tinkering* Okay, I think I've got it.

It took me long enough to do a single playthrough, so if you can wait until Sunday, I'd be happy to give you some more criticism and advice (I'll hopefully have enough free time to try this).

Well, that's no problem.

Anyway, I'm gonna draw up some more maps and actually scan them in this time. It'll save me a lot of design headaches this time around.

Well, I hope it works.

cronoslashscreenfa8.png

Re-did Crono's slash, now it's more close-combat rather than an energy slash. (Yes, the hotspot is off, shut up.)

Okay, ADVERTISMENT MODE GO! I am looking for someone or two to help out with the sprites and animations. Both of these take up too much of my time that I could be using programming the actual game. If someone could help out, it would be much, much appreciated!

And HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER:

bassscreenay1.png

The sixth character, Bass! (No, he doesn't have a mugshot on the HUD, I haven't fully finished him yet.)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back. And, with that, I have decided to do a series of episodic text-based adventure games, side-stories, if you will. I've been working with the Inform7 program, in which it uses proper english to actually understand what you've "programmed". Yahtzee puts it best:

It's an interesting experiment. They're trying to make a programming language that reads like natural text. You type in things like "the ball is red and on the table", and the program takes that and makes a text adventure out of it, like having your very own secretary. In practise the secretary comes off as severely retarded with a bicycle pump sticking through her brain, but it's certainly a lot more straightforward to use than most other game makers.

You'll need a Z-Machine interpreter, such as WinFrotz, or my personal favourite (since it actually works on Vista), Filfre.

Sidestory 1 - Cinc Ville

With each chapter, as I get the hang of Inform7, expect to see more complex stuff and puzzles and stuff.

• 3 months later...

Aria is still on-going, sure, there's been a roadblock or two, and some annoyances, but... More characters, and three new areas (none quite finished) to show off!

59925823.png

IT'S SOMA CRUZ! And the area? It's sorta a mix of a couple of Wario Land 4 areas. I know the background looks like shit, I'm thinking of either changing it or doing it another way.

89820816.png

No, that sword won't be as ungodly cheap as it was in the Sorrow games.

49168393.png

It's Blaze the Cat, and... Well, I used Smithygod's edit/custom sprites, considering they were the best-looking and most practical ones for my purposes. Finding the right sprites for her was a pain in the ass.

75410240.png

Also, both Sonic and Blaze will be able to "run" when they hit greater speeds. I haven't done that for Sonic YET, though.

23714231.png

It's-a-me, Mario! Yes, the fat plumber is in. As for the area, it's a mix of the Underground Laboratory from Mega Man Zero 3, and Area N from Mega Man ZX.

96062080.png

Look at him jump!

27961105.png

And finally, FROG! Frog is actually the only character that has all the sub-attacks finished, as seen below.

As for the stage, it was meant to be the Guardia Castle Dungeon area (ya know, the jail-break portion after the trial?), but it came off as looking nothing like anything from Chrono Trigger. Eh, it's a dingy brown dungeon with some CT elements. It works. Most of it is hand drawn... By my mother. STOP LAUGHING.

26653274.png

Uppercut slash! When I looked at those specific sprites, it looked like Frog was doing a "sword Shoryuken". Neat.

70020489.png

Yeah, it's the bubble spell. It looks better in motion.

50676926.png

A down-slash, like Crono does, except... Well... Different.

37364720.png

OH MY LORD

Anyway, some actual freakn' info...

- The character roster has hit 10 characters! Granted, not all of them complete, but still. I'm well on my way to breaking the multiple character record for a platformer - I have 20 in all planned. No, I'm serious.

- The game now has an RPG stats and experience system, akin to Castlevania: Synphony of the Night. I intend to follow up with an inventory system as well. Stats are calculated by level, so the only stats that are "stored" are levels and experience.

- I didn't show enemies for the new areas, because... Well, they're not finished yet. I have been working on bosses, though.

- I may release a second trailer. And perhaps a second demo. No promises, though.

Using 0.99.3, which, despite some problems, has served me well so far. I'm gonna focus on constructing the areas before starting on anything else, methinks...

Also...

fixed.png

FIXED! Note to self: Parallax scrolling, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Ok, looks much better now... You're releasing this for SAGE, right? I'm pretty curious about it, since 3D fangames and crossover fangames are the kind I'm most skeptical about, so I'd like to see how it turns out.

(Also, I hope nobody makes a 3D crossover fangame...)