A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Revival

Chaos Rush

*logo in the works*

Oh no. I'm back. It seems the only fangame I can successfully work on it Sonic Revival.

Anyways, let me make this as short as possible: In November 2006 a crappy GBA Sonic game was released. I had an idea to re-do what it should have been, so it came to a fangame. It sucked, then I got a better engine, and then later I canceled it in March 2007. Then in October 2007 I began making a new Sonic engine, then officially restarted Sonic Revival. Progress got much better then, and then it slowly died after releasing Demo 05. Now I'm in the progress of making another new engine, and here I am. So yes, once again I am restarting the whole project.

Sonic Revival is a remake of Sonic 1 with graphics similar to the Sonic Advance series. If you think the concept is stupid, SCREW OFF.

Old screenshots:

New Engine 1

New Engine 2

Green Hill

Marble

Spring Yard

NEW STUFF:

Demo 06

Screens from latest Demo:

Title Screen

Sonic charges for a Super-Peelout

Sonic destroys a robot

Old demo's:

Demo 06 Preview

New Engine Preview

Demo 05

Demo 04.5 (Not worth posting. Check Game Maker Community)

Demo 04 (Not available)

Demo 03 (Not available)

Demo 02 (Available, but not worth posting. Check the old SCD archive)

Demo 01 (Available, but not worth posting. Check the old SCD archive)

So yeah...there isn't much content on the new engine. If you're looking for something big and expansive, go ahead and play Demo 05, but don't even criticize it because I'm completely re-doing the old crappy engine.

• Like 1

Wait, you're making an engine? Kudos to you n'all but surely using the Worlds engine would..simplify things for you? Maybe I dunno what I'm talking about.

The only program I'm using and that I ever will is Game Maker. Therefore, Worlds is not an option. So yes, I'm making a new engine.

Wow this looks sweet! if it uses pro i'm going to vomit though... because if it uses pro it means that it is not using the standard 8 direction movement found in the good old genisis games and you wasted 20 bucks. But at least that's a lot less than what people are shelling out for MMF2.

I don't know why anyone would want to spend that much when Game maker is free. :koops:

Anyway it looks really cool and even if it uses pro I might just upgrade for this piece of work and use pieces of it in my game. Good job!:ssmile:

Anyway it looks really cool and even if it uses pro I might just upgrade for this piece of work and use pieces of it in my game. Good job!:ssmile:

Sorry, this is not an Open-Source project...which means it's impossible for you to take pieces and put it in your game unless if you were some type of super hacker. Besides, I never gave you permission to do that anyway.

But at least that's a lot less than what people are shelling out for MMF2.

I don't know why anyone would want to spend that much when Game maker is free.

You do know that these programs can do things besides make Sonic games, right? Like, look at what Jsonic made!

Also Sonic Revival = Advance style = not 8-directional

Back on topic...

So, you're going to finish this time? Yippee!

Me and my brother are trying to make a fan game with your engine. we are trying to get the best out of the engine. when this new engine is out we are only going to try harder. You are the Best

Aww :) looking forward to Christmas?

Seriously though, great looking game. Quite a few others have attempted the old 'Sonic 1 with new graphics' formula and I like how shiny and laminated everything looks. With a solid engine this will be an interesting project and definately more epic and less 'dipped in mud' than Sonic Rebirth.

Alright, so don't use worlds.

There are still engines for you to use, or atleast work off of instead of making your own. Damizean's christmas package, for starters.

The new engine as of today is already 85% complete. Like I said, I've heavily modified the examples pack to mimic the X-Mas engine.

I'm not arguing with you, I just don't want to see you quit again because of workload, that's all. If you've got it under control then by all means, continuing ignoring me!

I wasn't trying to argue ;). I'm restarting for the second time, but hopefully progress might be faster since I'll be using most of the same graphics as before.

Yes, I did quit last time because of workload, but this time the game is much less detailed: I have now deemed cutscenes unnecessary. There will be no cutscenes, it will just be fast, straight-forward gameplay like the original Sonic 1.

Alright, rather than boring you guys, I'm releasing a preview of Demo 06. THIS IS A PREVIEW, SO IT'S ONLY 75% OF THE ACTUAL DEMO 06.

And for the latin music? That's my school's jazz band performing. I'm 1st Alto Saxophone :P. So during the solo section of the song, if you hear an alto sax solo with a sort of messed up high note, then that's me.

So hopefully you guys can notice the difference between the old engine and this new one.

And so, here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?imxrmqkqhy1

Grass shadow my ass.

Well, I miss it (the shadow =P).

Also there's not much to say about graphics since there's nothing new there... Aside from the mountains in the background witch I can't say where it's from, everything else is just lots of overused tiles, specially the neo green hill foreground.

About the background, I suggest you to put something between the water and the mountains, it suddenly changes from blue to brown, it would look cool if it had some plants or mugs, stuff like that...

Well, I miss it (the shadow =P).

Also there's not much to say about graphics since there's nothing new there... Aside from the mountains in the background witch I can't say where it's from, everything else is just lots of overused tiles, specially the neo green hill foreground.

If you play Demo 05 (which was released in May), Spring Yard Zone is 90% custom...did you look at the old screenshots?

Hey Chaos Rush, do I need GM7 to try out the new Preview demo? Cause it wont load for me >.>. Btw nice screenshots XD, I wish you luck on this. My system specs are :

System

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1

Manufacturer: TOSHIBA

Model: Satellite A205

Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 540 @1.86GHz 1.86GHz

Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB

System Type: 32-bit Operating System

Graphics

Graphics Card: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

DirectX Version: 10.0

Physical Memory: 2037

Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB

Maximum Graphics Memory: 358 MB

Graphics Memory In Use: 132 MB

Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1

Processor Speed: 1862 MHZ

Vendor ID: 8086

Device ID: 2A02

Device Revision: 0C

Is this ok?

Hey Chaos Rush, do I need GM7 to try out the new Preview demo? Cause it wont load for me >.>. Btw nice screenshots XD, I wish you luck this.

I don't think so, it's just a standard .exe. :S

Also, Chaos Rush, I've found a few odd bugs, can't repeat them so I guess they;re minor, the first one I encountered was Sonic doing a "Moonwalk", with his left walking pose but actually moving to the right. It seemed to have triggered when I skidded but then wanted to turn back the other way to walk again. I couldn't get him out of doing this until he hit a wall so we returned back to his standing pose.

The next one was when I grabbed a bubble shield, I could not more left or right, but could jump. Do you know about these bugs?