A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

And... well, and the Werehog?

luksamuk

Since the beggining of the Unleashed release, I saw people obcecated in doing a Unleashed remake (well, I was one, but now I'm outta this).

Everybody knows how to make a Sonic engine, this is easy. But I saw no Werehog examples for now. I mean: why there are no Werehog engine releases? (I am not boasting me, but I'm trying to do one and I didn't see anything doing it. Just this. Screenshot below.)

Screenshot001-1.jpg

Sprites by Dabbido and arceus0. NOTE: Don't evaluate this, it's still a Beta! D:

Ugh... A bland engine test is NOT a beta. I know you kids think that the Sonic 2 beta is so cool and admired that you want to call any unfinished release of your game a "beta", even if it's a Sonic sprite with solid colored collision blocks, but it just doesn't work.

It is kind of silly though don't you think? To make a game based on the single most hated aspect of another game?

Well, it does sound silly, I do admit. But people actually hate the concept of a 'werehog' more than the mechanic itself, because, let's be honest, it IS a God of War ripoff that could have had Knuckles instead of the misnomer. Remember Yahtzee's review? I think he only commented how absurd a Werehog was, but there were no rants about how it worked, because it WAS more polished then the daytime levels.

Ali in all, I personally am ok with turning Sonic into a werewolf, werebunny, vampire, zombie, whatever rocks your boat, as long as its within the boundaries of fanfiction. When I see stuff like that beside an official Sega seal, that's when I start protesting.

Heck, if this 2D engine is done right, and the game is fine, I'll play it, since I always like it when I see a Sonic game with a non-Sonic genre, and the community would look kinda repetitive if everyone posted similar games.

And I'll tell you right now from my play experience that the Werehog stuff was the creme de la shit. I don't know how it worked in the Wii version, but the werehog stuff in the 360 version was the single thing that kept me from being able to take enough interest in the game to even advance past the China region.

I didn't even care that it was shitting on tradition or any of that shit. All that mattered to me were the gratuitous fighting and sketchy platforming mechanics. The fighting would have to pretty much be cut down to an afterthought and the platforming would need to be made silky smooth like the Zohan in order to be worth the salt, and even then you might as well just be making a Sonic game.

In any event, general consensus among the armies of reviewers who hated that game is that the werehog stuff was a turnoff for more reasons than need be mentioned..

Well, hopefully he can make the Werehog better in this fangame, then.

In 2D, it could definitely work better, with a 'quick punch' move similar to the Y Boost in Sonic Rush.

My thoughts exactly. I mean, come on, why not? Ok, the mechanic was hated because it wasn't done properly, but that's no reason to can this. I mean, I hated the Timetravel part of Sonic CD form the bottom of my soul, and a lot of people thought of it as nothing special, but no-one bashed Time Twisted for using it (although critique about other aspects were present).

(Btw, DW, I think it was the Wii version Yahtzee reviewed. But yeah, I got most of my info from the Internet, since I haven't actually played the game.)

1. there's nothing to rate here, It's just a gameplay test. I won't put the Werehog I'm doing in any game... And NO, SPhoenix isn't a Unleashed remake... at least not anymore.

2. A Beat-em-up engine isn't the BEST WAY to do the Werehog, I think. But, I've noticed that Werehog was a Werecrap based on his movs (someone told me). I haven't played SU yet, but... what's EXACTLY the problem with Werehog moves?

• 4 months later...