A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Windows 7 Beta...

Aaron C-T

So, the Windows 7 beta is due out relatively soon, apparently, and no one's mentioned it, that I can see, anyway. Who all is planning on grabbing it and giving it a go? I've never done it before, but I'm more than interested this time around, though I have no real idea of what's involved. I've read a lot of stuff on it and the main sticking point most people who'd nabbed it seem to have are with the new taskbar. Supposedly rather fast in comparison to Vista and XP, though.

I'm assuming it'll work with my tablet PC, though I can't be sure. It actually needs to be sent in to Asus as apparently there's some awesome problem with the motherboard that's been causing my mouse to spazz out in the corner. Still want to be able to get my hands on Windows 7, though. ::shrug::

Had it for awhile. I like it a lot, actually. But since I'm nervous about running a beta OS on the only personal machine I have, I switched back.

Plus, I don't think my warranty would cover me if the damage is caused by a pirated operating system. I'll wait for the retail release before I settle down with it. Which is a shame, since I liked it a lot.

A friend of mine got it, and tested it out. Memory consumption is considerably lower, and until now, fares a LOT better than Vista.

Maybe 7's gonna redeem the Windows name slightly.

It has some neater features too, like Aero Shake (handy when you have tons of windows open) and an improved Calc.exe, with programmer tools.

You can get most of these features in your Vista (or XP as well) installation following the tuts in this page: http://www.askvg.com/transform-windows-vista-into-windows-7-without-using-customization-pack

The one thing I dislike about the beta* is you can't hide the task bar. For some of you, it won't be a problem, but I hate my task bar always showing. Currently triple booting XPMC, Vista Ultimate 64-bit and Windows 7 beta. It's also crazy to see how big my OS CD stack has gotten over the past 10 years.

Edit: *This referred to the build my friend had. I'm on build 7000 (the beta released to the public) and the taskbar's fully functional in it. So that previous statement can be ignored.

Never play Bethesda or MMO games the moment they are released, and never try OS the moment they are released. I let other people tackle the initial wave of bugs.

But in all honesty, I never had any problems with Windows 98 and I loved it. If it weren't for that 'I'll rape your system unless you put me on WinXP' motherboard, I probably would have kept it somewhat longer.

x64 up and running just now.... Vista x64 drivers are working great. I'm so fricken tired tho so I can't really say what works and what doesn't. My Aero assessment is the same from Vista except now they rate up to 7.9 for those blow it out your ass graphics cards and processors you can buy now.

Apparently iTunes is kinda shady tho... I'll try tomorrow although I'm only really interested in this shit from a developer's viewpoint (Visual Studio 2008, Adobe CS3, Eclipse, etc)

I'll also fiddle with x86 tomorrow on my shitty desktop.

I'm using Win7 on my primary machine, and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. Seems fast, stable and pleasant to use. Definitely more responsive than XP on this machine. The new taskbar is a little weird at first, but now I'm used to it I quite like it.

Ok I've been running x64 all day on my laptop at school. God damn does this blow Vista away in every respect. Not only is the startup/shutdown time amazing (about 45 seconds), the hibernation time is phenomenal. I've had no issues with any everyday use programs (save AIM 6, but I use Digsby anyway so I don't really care).... iTunes works fine btw, my mistake.

Office 2007 works fine, IE8 is gonna be my new browser, I'm really happy overall with everything. Oh, and if you're cheap, dont be afraid to use WordPad anymore as a word processor... it's great with the ribbon.

Some specs on my laptop (im posting from Vista right now):

x64wc5.png

Ok now I'm posting from the shitty x86 box... here's the specs:

x86mh8.png

Again, much smoother than Vista (obviously, this is an older machine), not as quick as XP, but still great! Startup time was a wee bit over 1 minute, but that's loads faster than Vista (I also think this HDD is on the way out, to be fair)

Anyway, again, my overall experience has been positive... and not just average positive, but "I will buy this shit" positive.

Try it out nuccas

Grabbed it today, running on a separate partition opposite Vista on an Asus R1F. It's a lot like Vista, but more userfriendly. Right after I installed it asked if I wanted to jump on any of the nearby networks and I was on in no time. The way connecting to networks works is similar to the way OS X handles it.

It's easy enough to make out the pinned items from the running ones, and it's not as if I've used Quick Launch in the last year or two anyway, as I've been running RocketDock in its place. With Windows 7, I'm not even going to bother with a dock, the new taskbar does wonders. I've got Firefox, Pidgin, and the Zune software pinned down there at the moment. The new notification area is cool too, doesn't look nearly as outdated and cluttered and I like that it shows the date.

Haven't looked into IE8, though, so I've no idea what Epon luvs it so much. Firefox for now.