A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sorry guys another problem-running on water

Appo

Soon my plan to take over this forum with my help threads shall be complete..but seriously sorry guys, anyhow this problems by far the worst, i'm trying to get sonic to keep traveling on top of the water and sink if he slows down, i haven't even managed to keep him on the top of the water at all, i,ve tried keeping the player float value of y the same as the water level value at speed and other stuff, i've been at this for hours and just can't see whats wrong, please could someone help me out here :) you all won't be forgotten at credit time

Wouldn't you just make the water ( not the surface, but the large object that colors everything below the surface blue ) a normal collidable object if the absolute value of your X speed is equal or greater than a fixed amount? Then you could just prevent collision from re-enabling as soon as your Y position is greater than the Y position of the surface.

That's pretty much what I do, yes. Make the water a floating platform that doesn't move. Then, if Sonic is above the water, running fast, and not spinning, make the water a solid object (I think you turn flag 0 of the object... off).

If Sonic slows down or is below the water, don't make the it solid anymore (flag 0 = on).

Thanks guys but i don't belive this, i needed to move the water to the same layer as the sensors, i jused MMF 1.5 for a few year and i don't think that had layers, i wondered why sonic kept falling in the water, i'll try and work something out today and hopefuly crack it, but i'll probably be back, thanks guys :)

Hey i said i'd be back, good news though i've managed to get sonic to run across the water only if he's fast enough and sink when he slows down, my problem now however is when he hits the water at spead he stops.. erm what i mean is theres a platform loop submerged in water in the engine and if you run around it he stops when he hits the water, heres a screenshot to help show what i mean

stuck.jpg

Also here is what i put for the code if this helps

ROWcode.jpg

Hey, DimensionWarped what do you mean by slope ignoring squares, i think this next problem has something to do with angles, i wanted to give the water a seperate qualifier as having it as 1 screwed up other objects using 1, i saw 7 wasn't used so i used that, seeing as i only had one problem when i set the qualifier to 1 (stated in my last post) i opened another copy of the world engine, replaced the 1 qualifier to 7 and then copied the event and pasted them into my current version, now for some reaseon he stops at speed at this little ledge (see screen shot) averything else works (except i still have that problem from my last post)

stops.jpg

Well, there is an object that you can place that basically keeps Sonic from conforming to the slope in certain places. It's in various places in the engine test, usually where there is a fairly steep slope. You can just place it along the sloped plane in question and that'll make ti to where the angle stays zero.

PM me a link to your build so I can see what the issue is.

Thanks, i've sent the pm, however for some strange reason that problem seems to of dissapeared but he does still get stuck on that loop but sometimes he runs on the water when collliding with it when he's looking down yet i want him to ignore the water if he's like that, i only wanted him to run accross it if he's not on an angle, erm.. you shoulld see what i mean if you try it, anyways thanks for having a look :)

thanks for that Azu i'll have a more detailed look afterward, but from what i've seen it's good, the only thing hat i was going to do that different is i was still going to have sonic skid when u change direction but instead of dust i was going to have a big splash effect, in the one i sent DimensionWarped, sonic skids like normal and i've changed the sounf effect when he's on water but he ges stuck or runs on the water if he's running down a steep slope which i don't want, but like i say i'll have a closer look after i've done some shopping (the fun never ends) thanks gor your efforts :)

Sorry for the tripple postage, but Azu would you mind just taking a quick look at may version of world if i pm a link to you? it's just that i implimented your code for rung on water and changed Veriable O to 'Water_Run' and it din't seem to work properly and now it just dosen't seem to work at all, i'll keep having ago while waiting for a resonse, knowing my luck though it'll be something easy and obvious that i'm jst overlooking.

EDIT: It's ok now i seemed to of found the problem, i was trying to run off an area with a slope, to be more specific that screen shot i put up earlier saying where he got stuck