A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Anyone know of a decent browser?

LarkSS

I've been using Opera for awhile now since it works fast on my old laptop and hasn't been really giving me any problems.

I recently rethemed XP however and Opera's fonts within the browser ( not the webpages, but the browser itself ) are reverting to the system font rather than what it normally used. I'm not sure if this is because whatever font it was using before doesn't exist anymore, but reinstalling Opera or changing the language of my computer and rebooting doesn't restore it back to normal.

So I finally decided that maybe it was time for me to switch browsers since I wasn't about to force myself to stick with my old theme just because of one program.

I'd use Firefox, but it runs slow on my computer regardless of its pretty nice start-up time.

Google Chrome is alright, but I'm not really fond of using it right now, especially in its beta stages; that and it doesn't match my dark theme.

Internet Explorer is just out of the question besides the fact that it ran slow/crashed frequently.

I also tried downloading Konqueror, but.....I couldn't find a download link anywhere; doesn't seem as if I'd like the browser very much anyhow.

Safari.....no. I'm forced to use it on the Apple computers at school and I just don't like it. Also my experiences with standard Apple programs show that they are practically as functional as standard Windows programs.

So, do any of you know another alternative browser that you'd recommend me to try? I can't stand to look at Opera with its font glitches anymore and their tech support aren't very enthusiastic with handling new problems the last time I checked.

Actually I've recently discovered Orca which uses the positive points of Firefox and adds its own additions as well as corrects the speed problems I was experiencing, so I'm resolved now.

However, I might give Firefox 3.1 a try. At first when my friend suggested it, I figured he meant 3.0.1 aka just the new Firefox itself; I didn't realize they released a newer version with performance enhancements.

@Turbohog: I tried reducing that and it didn't help.

@Gsoft: I had already tried those two browsers and didn't like them.

So uh, after a deeper inspection of Opera's preferences, I figured out how to correct the font problem and now I got it running again better than ever. I'm actually surprised at how well Opera runs on my machine even with multiple tabs and widgets running; either those who put it down haven't used the newer versions or Opera just isn't for the faster computers.