A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Seeking Advice

Perry_

Hi guys. Just wondering if you could give me some advice on how I can experiment in making Sonic Games using the same tools that make the many of the ones on this site. I've heard alot about a Sonic Worlds engine and seen a large list of tutorials but I'd like to hear more directly what engines are good for newbies and what tutorials and other programs they match up them.

Personally I wanna experiment with something similar to the Advance series and I've noticed that the fan made games can differ a lot depending if they use S3&K as a base or the Advance series as a base.

The majority of games on this site use either Multimedia Fusion/The Games Factory 2 or Game Maker. Sonic Worlds is a Sonic Engine with much of the foundation work done for you and it's made using Multimedia Fusion 2, but there are similar, though not as complete, engines in Game Maker. In fact, the primary reason fangames differ so much depending on the base they use is because the majority of the preconstructed engines use Genesis Sonic as their base. Though there are some Sonic Advance style engines to be found and you can edit the Genesis engines to work with Advance style.

As for tutorials, there are Sonic-specific tutorials on the main site, but they are not the most up-to-date.

There are more general Game Maker and TGF/MMF 2 tutorials to be found on the web if you google them.

Anyway, good luck on making games.

Thanks alot Kain. This has been really helpful.

However upon editing and playing around with the test level I must have stuffed up something because now everytime I run the application he goes into spin mode and I can't stop it. How can I fix this?

"How can I fix this?" Depends how you broke it.

One thing I will say, the Game Maker engine does have one great advantage Tails and Knuckles nobody has made them for Sonic Worlds but they are in the Game Maker equivalent. Kain actually also has a very full featured Game Maker game engine on the SFGHQ site too.

Thanks alot Kain. This has been really helpful.

However upon editing and playing around with the test level I must have stuffed up something because now everytime I run the application he goes into spin mode and I can't stop it. How can I fix this?

You're playing around with the Sonic Worlds engine? I'm not too experienced with it or MMF, so I don't know what would cause that, but one thing to be careful about when using MMF is that you shouldn't delete the objects which are lying outside the game map (i.e. in the negative coordinate(s)). If you delete, for example, an object which is used to store a bunch of variables, you could screw many many things up.

Edit @ Overbound: I have an even more complete one in my sig. :P

"How can I fix this?" Depends how you broke it.

One thing I will say, the Game Maker engine does have one great advantage Tails and Knuckles nobody has made them for Sonic Worlds but they are in the Game Maker equivalent. Kain actually also has a very full featured Game Maker game engine on the SFGHQ site too.

Tails has been made for Sonic Worlds actually. Knuckles is pretty easy to make too and everything that is needed is all there for making any character you see fit.