A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Genesis Heroes! Test Demo Released at page 3

Sponick

Well, i've said that you can check the other characters place before switching.

If I make it 100% like SH gameplay, all the game becomes a shit, because a lot of puzzles will be imposible to solve...in some places you need to keep all characters on each place. no way if each time you switch, all characters comes next to you

Maybe make a call button that costs rings, like in Chaotix. Because you surely won't wanna have to run through part of a level 3 times to get everyone to the next part after a puzzle.

Right now it's an interesting concept, but there's not really an impressive amount of content to see. You've added character-switching and a character-following technique of limited completeness for the task to the Dami/RougeYoshi engine. Limited not only in the sense that the follow doesn't work with switching characters and at the exact same offset (following the Heroes style, I'd make them follow in a line after Sonic, with one's offset greater than the other, and with Knuckles, I'd have it similar to this; don't know how you want to do Tails), but also in the fact that they get their offsets screwed up easily.

Well, i've said that you can check the other characters place before switching.

If I make it 100% like SH gameplay, all the game becomes a shit, because a lot of puzzles will be imposible to solve...in some places you need to keep all characters on each place. no way if each time you switch, all characters comes next to you

This problem was solved in Sonic Heroes by having them stay on a switch that they walk on (until you switch characters or activate all switches). And it wouldn't be that hard to have bigger-areas where only certain characters can walk past certain areas. Not that you shouldn't do it the way you want to do it, it's just that right now the system has no serious way to sync the character's movements.

Right now it's an interesting concept, but there's not really an impressive amount of content to see. You've added character-switching and a character-following technique of limited completeness for the task to the Dami/RougeYoshi engine. Limited not only in the sense that the follow doesn't work with switching characters and at the exact same offset (following the Heroes style, I'd make them follow in a line after Sonic, with one's offset greater than the other, and with Knuckles, I'd have it similar to this; don't know how you want to do Tails), but also in the fact that they get their offsets screwed up easily.

This problem was solved in Sonic Heroes by having them stay on a switch that they walk on (until you switch characters or activate all switches). And it wouldn't be that hard to have bigger-areas where only certain characters can walk past certain areas. Not that you shouldn't do it the way you want to do it, it's just that right now the system has no serious way to sync the character's movements.

Really, I'm getting crazy thinking about the correct gameplay. It's really hard. I will need opinions, advices or something, because I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO xDD well, I'm going to release the work I have now, then, I hope some of you will give me ideas xD

EDIT: All solved!! this will be the gameplay:

by default, the rest of characters won't follow you, but you can switch this option by pressing "c".

The AI will be "modified"-->Only two options, or get stuck in place or be on team formation, this will make the three characters go together everywhere.

Meanwhile I programme all this, here's the test demo:

Controls:

-Arrows to move.

-A for jump and homingAttacking (for monitors).

-S and D for character switching.

-W+(A or D) to switch the camera between characters.

-F for debug calling of the other characters.

You must keep all characters alive. If someone falls outside room, the game is restarted. When you must fall, is when you have reached the goal ring xD

The switch-open doors system must be improved, but works fine.

The stage is a shit, but is the basic idea on I'm working.

The stages, of course, will combine platform and puzzle sections with speed runs.

Comments?......

SGHTestDemo.rar

For some reason, the game runs around 25 FPS for me, but my biggest gripe is that the characters don't follow each other. This means that whenever I need Tails or Knuckles to reach a switch, I have to replay the entire level with them to get them there. In fact, after a while I was only playing as Tails, because Sonic and Knuckles aren't even needed to get through the stage.

So the two things you need to fix:

1) Make the characters follow each other.

2) Give each character a unique power to make them worth playing as.

And if anyone has any idea why the engine is running so slow for me, please let me know.

"...by default, the rest of characters won't follow you, but you can switch this option by pressing "c"."

Press "c"!! xD

And about the fps...I recently upgraded my old PC and I noticed that i can play sonic dash first stage without lag. It seems my PC is powerful, I can't know how this project will work on other computers...

The problem with the way the computer characters follow is that they don't try to follow the "leader," they only do the same movements the player does. So that means if the computer characters get stuck somewhere, they won't know to jump. And if they do eventually get over it next time you hit the jump button, they'll only continue to move in your direction if you're moving forward. They'll never successfully catch up. Not to mention it's impossible to jump over pits unless you individually jump over with each of them. The player AI needs some revamping.

By the way, when I replayed it, the FPS was around 55. It was working fine. I don't know why it had trouble earlier...

Nothing you say? How about copy-paste level design where you end up doing the same segments over and over again throughout any given level, enemies that are hard only because they have so much health and invulnerability time that they are guaranteed to cut at least 10 seconds off your time with full levels, and a horrendous amount of level/boss/other recycling the likes of which would make a Mario game (referring to the boss part) blush.

Yeah, nothing. A lot of games are like this, but regardless, I still found Heroes a fun Sonic game.

Yeah, nothing. A lot of games are like this, but regardless, I still found Heroes a fun Sonic game.

Me too xD I restarted to play it again yesterday. (To see the characters behaviour and what I should put in this game

About the game:

The progress of this game is slow, but is still in progress. I have the speed formation more or less working. Sometimes you can see a weird behaviour. Hope it will be fixed, however, it's not important.

The team "engine" is programmed well, I think, and i will not have a lot of problems no set up the other formations.

In speed formation, as in the future power formation, the other characters take your Speed everytime, and 80% of times they are followin you on your back, the other 20 % they are running in front of you xDD

More information soon!