A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Windows Vista Beta 2 : Largest download in history

MidimanNull

Qouted from Neowin:

In an instant message chat, Microsoft has told the Windows Featured Communities that the demand for Windows Vista Beta 2 has been overwhelming. It is, in fact, the largest downloaded software in history. Currently, they are serving product keys out ten times faster then the downloads can be served. In fact, they are pumping out bits as fast as they can - any faster and there would be a measurable impact on the internet. In fact, I quote a Microsoft representive:

"So, we are literally saying that if we increased our bandwidth any further there's a possibilty of taking down the Internet - people might have problems with World Cup viewing, etc"

People who have recieved Vista Beta 2 product keys, but are unable to download, may need to wait a few days, up to one week. Microsoft encoruages users who want to try out Windows Vista Beta 2 to order the DVD. When they recieve the DVD in 1-4 weeks, install it, and activate it, they will be automattically guaranteed an RC1 upgrade.

- Full Story

#44 Posted by Ivand on 11 Jun 2006 - 15:17

i got another reason too, akamai serves and caches MS' traffic but also does google's, yahoo's, cbs and apple so if akamai auments MS pipes then the others clienst will have smallers one, and the intarweb dies

I don't think we're meant to that that literally, though I'm not sure what they could have meant.

No what I think we're meant to believe is that all our services will magically dissapear because the "most important" company in the world can't have their way.

No, but there are millions and millions of people who look at the World Cup as the holy grail at the end of the year. The highlight of their year. And if the internet were to suddenly flick off they would be VERY pissed. Moreso than perhaps any other group of people.

No what I think we're meant to believe is that all our services will magically dissapear because the "most important" company in the world can't have their way.

Actually, the d-loads will use all the bandwith on the majior ISPs.

No. First, who gives a ____ about ISPs. ISPs just buy bandwidth from upstream providers.

Who would be hurt by this? Level3, Verio, Savvis, Abovenet, Cogent, and the hundreds of other companies with pipe in the ground. How hurt? Barely. These are gige and fast ethernet pipes. The bandwidth is so ____ing immense that no matter the downloads, you couldn't slow the internet on a wide scale.

There are peering protocols in place that make it IMPOSSIBLE. ISPs use a BGP blend ensuring that you have several providers.

It's impossible. Don't you ____ing tell me otherwise. The only bottlenecks are at your ____ty local network.

Stop and think about what they are saying. They are saying lots of people would be downloading their file at once. SO? You really don't think there are zillions of people downloading all at one time? Why would it be different because it's from MS? Because it's a big file? Haha.

This is solid bull____. You come talk to me when you have your CCNA, CCDA, and CCIE. God I hate when armchair network gurus start spewing stuff.

(BTW I don't have a CCIE)