A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Hardware Upgrade Get!

No more using me as the "low end test", I don't think. I just finally bought an actual video card (GeForce 6600 GT), and received 2gb of RAM for my birthday. The video card's not exactly cutting edge, but it's a pretty big step up from the GF3 and the GF5200FX I used to use, and 2gb of RAM makes a pretty massive difference.

Previously, to get playable framerates, I had to turn games like Counter-Strike: Source down to the lowest settings. Now it defaults to all high.

css.jpg

And I couldn't even run the Blitz3D Sonic engine with Depth of Field and Lightbloom on (it'd knock my framerate in to the teens). Now?

bitz.jpg

Word.

I got a hardware upgrade about six months ago. My PC went down the drain and I couldn't run anything other than Genesis emulators, and then when I got the upgrade I was: "Wow! I can run 3D applications again!"

Anyway, congratulations. Now go headshot some stuff in CS.

Well, for starters, anything over a 6600 would probably start bottlenecking my processor (3.2ghz).

I'm sorry I don't have $90-$150 to drop on some awesome new video card. I don't see why it even matters to you guys. I don't give a crap about your pissing contest garbage. When $30 is all you have to spend, that's all you have to spend.

...Look, with the problems I am having with this computer, just... let's drop it.

but this is the internet so lol.

i heard ATI had some reasonable higher end offerings, but to go through and point out what you could have got would just be annoying.

anyway, any thread about hardware specs is just an excuse for massive e-peen waving, just glad to hear you're back on track and can continue working on your stuff

Well a 7600 GS is a pretty good low end card, It's what I have but can't use in my new PC yet because I need to buy a new power supply but when I do I'm gonna say goodbye to my ATI Radeon X1250. But yeah a 7600 is a pretty good card. If it can run ENBseries no problems I would suggest getting it. Also I bought it for 20 dollars at a yard sale.

but this is the internet so lol.

i heard ATI had some reasonable higher end offerings, but to go through and point out what you could have got would just be annoying.

anyway, any thread about hardware specs is just an excuse for massive e-peen waving, just glad to hear you're back on track and can continue working on your stuff

Well. I'm still getting blue screens, actually. :\

This is a very elusive problem, it seems.

Well, that true indeed. :D Anyway, the newer version of BlitzSonic has faster Bloom and DOF =D

You should post an update somewhere ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Mines isn't that powerful like yours Blaze, but it runs alright. Because I'm using the laptop and it comes with, I don't know, somewhere in the 5000 perhaps? I mean it runs fine, but I wish I could upgrade it. :victory: