A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Tails Adventure 2 Topic *Minor update*

Serephim

Alright, i think its about time I showed In-depth my first real full-scale fangame project. Its been on-off in development for about a year now (mostly off), and im still adding/removing features even now.

Im going to be adding information to this topic as I continue to upgrade the game, and eventually ill release an engine test to play around in.

What is Tails Adventure 2?

TA2%20Logo.PNG

This game is a kind of tribute to the original Tails Adventures game on the game gear.

...However, in reality it's just an excuse for me to implement Sonic the Hedgehog characters into an action title that isnt a traditional fighter or Sonic Battle-esque. The game features action-packed combat enhanced by a platforming engine centered around...well, platforming and combat. Ill let you guys describe it on your own whenever you can play it I guess. Beat stuff up, find secret paths, get new items, get new attack abilities, get new movement abilities. typical megaman / zelda style gameplay progression.

Engine Features

Screenshot%20Start2.PNG

-Well-rounded and solid controls

-Balanced and simple combat system with depth

-Plenty of attacks, special abilities and different weapons to unlock

-A blend of action-packed stages mixed with fun puzzle stages

-Advanced enemy system allows for (literately) over 100 fully functioning enemies at once (Not very practical though)

-All-new Chaos Control engine gives actual time-freezing/slowing abilities to the player, or to the enemy. No stupid TimeX extentions.

-Plenty of hidden bosses to battle and test your skill against, from the beginning difficulty to end-game difficulty

Pending features (not sure if its gonna even make it)

-Partner system (i know im going to add partners, but most likely not how i orginally planned)

-Inter-fangame compatibility with the Knuckles Antiquity (Syphon's fangame, kind of similar to mine, check it out sometime. Unlocking things in this game can unlock things in his game, vice versa blah blah.)

Okay, so whats the storyline

Defeat robotnick and save mobius....another typical adventure, but with a twist. This time, Tails has a slightly different role.

Well, in a nutshell..

---

Time peroid in the games is sometime after Sonic Heroes but before any of the rest of the garbage that came out. Metal Overlord is defeated, sonic and crew go on about their business.

Of course, robotnick continues to make assaults on mobius to take it over, and sonic n friends crush him repeatedly. At the end of his latest attempt, Sonic and Tails (with the help of knuckles) have infultrated robotnick's revived Deathegg and have robotnick cornered. Robotnick now, traditonally, unleashes his #1 project on Sonic and Tails.

Metal Sonic Mk-2!....

....is crushed in about 3 miniutes. Robotnick sets his lab to self-destruct and escapes during the battle, and Sonic transforms into Supersonic to save him and his buddy from the explosion in the stratosphere.

(im tired of writing the story, ill update it later...)

Alright, now for some more interesting things. (Dont expect too much eyecandy, ive been doing mostly engine work, not cosmetic.)

Tails Adventure 2 -- Movement Skills and Abilities (Basic)

screenshot%201.bmp

This is gonna give a basic rundown of a few movement skills and abilities in the game. (Not all are available from the start, but most are obtained pretty early anyway. Almost all are crucial to gameplay.)

Basic Crap

screenshot%202.PNG

-Self Explanatory. Arrow keys to walk, down to crouch, shift to jump. Cant go wrong knowing this.

Block

screenshot%203.PNG

-Hold down the Block button to receive less damage from attacks. (Can be upgraded with certain items)

Wall Jump

screenshot%204.PNG

-Press the Jump button while touching a wall to kick off of it. Crucial for getting up walls with no springs, finding special areas, or saving yourself from a nasty fall.

Dash

screenshot%205.PNG

-Press the Dash button to get a boost of speed in the direction you're facing. Useful for avoiding obstacles, attacks, or just getting somewhere quicker.

**Advanced Movement techniques / abilities**

Dash Jump

Subscreenshot%203.PNG

*req : Jump while dashing

-Use to get a little extra speed in your jump, allowing for farther jumps than usual.

Dash Cancel

*First, you need to use a dash.

screenshot%205.PNG

*While dashing, press and hold the directional key in the opposite direction.

Subscreenshot%201.PNG

* Tails will slow down immediately and start to slide out of the dash.

-This is helpful for stopping the dash in the direction your moving in.

Backwards Somersault

*First, execute a Dash Cancel

Subscreenshot%201.PNG

*While dash canceling, continue to hold the opposite direction

*while still in the slide animation, press the Jump button

Subscreenshot%202.PNG

*Tails will kick off in the direction he was facing and turn the opposite

-This technique is espically useful. You can further save yourself if you jump too far, and is espically useful for avoiding attacks, or changing directions where you need to move quickly. After touching the ground you are already facing the opposite direction, and can therefore execute another dash.

--------------------This is all for now.----------------------------

Next update ill touch on a few attacking abilities, and later enemies. I guess ill copy everyone else and do this kinda like a Smash Bros dojo or something.

I may do a short video on it later, but i think im going to release an Engine Test before then, so I can get feedback on what you guys think.

-------Update

I really wasn't ready too, but i got bored with working on it yesterday, so I just taped some gameplay footage in the working frame.

Sorry about the quality, and sorry about the lack of sound. (I dont know how to get sound to capture, ill keep trying though.) Game actually runs at 60fps, so...yeah.

Heres a better quality one.

Actually, I orginally was planning on going for that kind of thing (Orginal plan was a mix between DMC3 and KH2, just retarded broken combos), but i decided to tone it down and to focus more on gameplay rather than just combos and floaty air combat. I might use this engine for another game similar to that though. ;)

I most likely wont be updating anything tommrow, but i might get around to it. If so ill touch on the different methods of damaging enemies.

Okay, its kind of minor, but i'd like to point out that i think i've successfully developed a Damage Number system that doesn't screw up like when you use counters. (I.E. every counter on the screen changes to the newer number)

DAMAGE%20NUMBERS.PNG

DAMAGE%20NUMBERS2.PNG

I still have some things to work out, but for the most part it functions correctly.

Nope. No way on earth im lowering the screen size, the game absolutely would not work. The advance sprites were designed for use with the similar sprite style, not necessarily the resolution of the advance screens.

I personally hate games with those retardedly small screen sizes, epically with traditional sonic fangames, they cripple the gameplay far too much. That was one of the reasons the Advance series was so lacking -- you cant go fast when you cant see anything.

That said, although you dont constantly go that fast in this game you DO need to see your environment. Using the resoultion of the gameboy advance screen would make this game an absolute chore to play, let alone develop.

• 2 weeks later...

Big as in Graphic wise, or big as in WTFREAP dmg wise?

The damage is so high because im showing off >>. Even in my own game its fun to do stupid high damage. (of course the enemies had to have like 7,000,000 HP, so its all good)

which reminds me BTW, it is NEVER good to have a boss or enemy in your game with HP in the billions unless its an absolutely hardcore boss. I put those enemies at 7 billion HP, and even with my doing like 600k / 700k damage per hit, it took me a little over forever to finally kill one of the little fuckers.

That said, im so putting a boss with a billion HP in my game, after sticking in tons of ways to make the game completely unfair for the enemies

Actually i think you are missing something. Think on a sonic game. Rushin' in old school games was something amazing and it does even make the player to feel good reaching those high speeds. But actually, in Sonic Rush, you can reach even higher speeds, but it is not as fun. Why? Because in old games it was something not very common and you have to find the right place and do the right things. Instead, in Sonic rush speed is free, you can use when you want and that makes it to don't be special.

I mean, if you have always your character doing excessive damage, what makes it special, it is just common, and when it becomes common it loses everything that makes it special.

It is much funnier to have a character doing 1, 2 or 3 damage to enemies and, with an special hit in a special point make 100 damage than having always 6 digits damage.

Just my point of view.

Well, thats the idea. I said the big numbers was just to show off that i have the number system working.

In the actual game he would be doing like 4 damage . In fact, i doubt normal combos will even be doing over 100 damage in this game, unless i decide to change the formula.

I said maybe as an endgame feature for replay value, ill add some super broken mechanic to the game that allows you to raise your strength to the point where you can do retarded amounts of damage.