A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Baby born with two faces

Epon

I'm not entirely sure what that would mean. I mean, we have two eyes and perceive only one image... and you'd have to be under the assumption that she can actually see out of all four eyes rather than a number of them being relatively vegetose. Same goes for the mouth and the nose. I guess it all comes down to how the brain works. Personally, I have no idea what it would be like in this case.

Hmm...what WOULD it be like to have 4 sets of eyes?

Like, if both eyes are sending signals to the brain, that means you have double the vision, if you can focus on 2 things at once.

Im sure we dont know what its like since nobody has such a vision type, but if it actually worked i wonder how we would see it as. Being able to focus on two things at once.

Wanna know what it's like? Try crossing your eyes.

Crossing your eyes isn't focused, but I doubt her vision will ever work properly either unless her brain has two distinct sections for the sets of eyes. If it all sends it to the same place, I would assume she would have very poor vision and get dizzy frequently.

You dont think the brain would be able to decipher between the input?

It looks like that when we cross our eyes because thats the only sources of vision we have. If you have 2 eyes focusing and 2 more focusing, im sure it would be like seeing out of 2 places with a black spot in the middle, like when you cover one eye with your hand.

But then again if 2 are working and two arent it would kind of take a hit to your balance and such, but then again also if you were born with it it cant be that hard to get used to..can it? Maybe the two clostest in the middle have the normal focus and the two on the outer sides are just extra peripheral?

GAHHH mah brain...

Focus is as much a mental ability as a visual ability. Each eye can have two different focal points, however, we are unable to focus on two separate objects because our brain doesn't work that way. I don't see how she could possible focus on two different objects even with 4 eyes. It's possible that her vision works fairly fine, only with a wider field of vision and some blind spots in the middle. It's also possible that the duplicate eyes would send signals in such a way that they interfere with each other.

Don't really know, I'm not a neurologist, I'm just guessing and going by a Psych 101 book and a few documentaries. Like a documentary on people who have had the corpus callosum split so that the left brain and right brain cannot interact with each other. That shit's crazy.

Regardless of us having two eyes, we see one image. The image projected to the second eye is an overlay that we more or less just stack on top of the first.

If the two left eyes are in fact separate, I don't think it would be a problem... just another image overlayed. It wouldn't have any advantage, but I'm pretty sure the image would be relayed fine in the brain.

You know, here is any interesting way of looking at it... based on an experiment I read about a while back:

If people use a lens to turn their vision upside down for a day and walk around and do stuff while that is going on, the image will eventually become rightside up again. Our brain automatically adjusts to the input from our eyes and compensates. In fact, normally the image projected to our eyes actually is upside down.

The experiment also noted that if you just sit down and watch TV that your vision won't change.

And further, when taking the lenses off, the image that used to be upside right will be upside down and you have to adjust again.

In addition, the way we perceive light is logarithmic to the actual intensity of the light, and all of that is also done in the brain. A filter can be applied to light to affect contrast and the eyes will eventually adjust to that as well.

Vision is amazing eh?

Oh, but on that note if the left eyes are connected somehow, that might be a problem.

If people use a lens to turn their vision upside down for a day and walk around and do stuff while that is going on, the image will eventually become rightside up again. Our brain automatically adjusts to the input from our eyes and compensates. In fact, normally the image projected to our eyes actually is upside down.

I guess that makes our brains better than frogs', cause I'm pretty sure I remember a study where they flipped a frog's vision and it eventually died of starvation.

I could see some potential advantages in determining depth if the brain was dynamic enough to incorporate three slightly different PoVs instead of the normal 2. But I guess her eyes aren't positioned for that.