A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

My 1st Art Thread in Quite Some Time

Aaron C-T

Also known as "Scatta jumps back into 3D art!" Well.. kinda. I'm on spring break and decided I liked working with super sculpey for two of my 3D Design projects last quarter and figured I'd practice doing a creature now that I have some spare time and no other work. So, here's my current WIP of my Cubone sculpt. There's tons wrong with it, but I figure it's not bad so far for a 3rd try and since there's no time limit I can widdle at this for awhile. Comments and such welcome. Sorry about the ugliness of some of it, haven't started smoothing stuff down yet. :E

post-4-138639761546_thumb.jpg

post-4-13863976155_thumb.jpg

First with fingers, then with some clay sculpting tools I bought but haven't exactly figure out how to use effectively yet.

Edit: So, I've been touching it up for awhile now. Smoothing it out and such and I'm becoming more and more pleased with it. I'll post new shots once I at least have the other side roughed out. It's proving a pain in the bum to mirror the helmet over the to other side of the head. And I'm regretting only using 2 pieces of wire for the spines on the sides of the head. I should've used at least 3 per side. :E

Thanks for the link, though I actually have seen it before. That guy's amazing. I'm using his technique of sort of "threading" the sculpey onto the model, and wrapping the armature in a lower gauge wire before putting the sculpey on. The only thing I'm not following him up on is the way he uses sculpey to build up the base mass. Sculpey's way to expensive for that, so I start with foil ontop of the wire. Then, once I have the shape, I start adding sculpey.

Guy's amazing, though.

Mm.. back at college. I've made some very minimal progress on this guy- mainly attempting to mirror the head detail over and smooth it out. Having a hard time keeping both sides of the head equal, but overall I like how it's going. Started working on those funky legs. I've still got to make him a lot fatter, finish sculpting the head, arms, and bone then it'll be on to smoothing again and detail work. I don't have much work yet, so I hope to work on this a bit.

Just a small update to show that I'm still working on it. This is just his right arm which is going to be holding his bone weapon. I realized after building the bone that it was the wrong shape- technically the back end is supposed to come to a point judging by reference pics but then I decided I didn't care enough to roll back the sculpey and chop the back end at the time. The arm was then attached to wire and the hand was built upon the bone with only sculpey and continued along the arm wire. Everything's being attached using epoxy putty. I would normally use super glue to start and then epoxy putty around it, which I find to work much better, but I'm currently out of super glue. It's a shame because where the arm connects to the hand and bone is kind of wobbly as a result.

What hasn't been shown is that I've worked on the eye and nose sockets a bit more, completely mirrored over the top part of the helmet, added the back spines, fixed the legs, and added the beginnings of his left arm. I've also smoothed everything down a bit by hand. What's left is to finish the arms, possibly rework parts of the belly and then begin the bottom of the helmet (where the teeth-looking bits are). Also, I have to do his eyes as I've decided I want realistic sphere-shaped eyes as opposed to the anime-looking ones. I've been working on using my tools a bit more as opposed to working only with my hands.. which basically means that I've been using two choice tools with similar curved endings. :E

Should I chop of the end of the bone and rework it? Suggestions/comments? Requests for more pictures, etc?

post-4-138639761585_thumb.jpg

post-4-138639761587_thumb.jpg

Personally, I'd bake the bone individually before working on the arm and then create the hand around the bone after painting it. That way you won't have all of the weird looking parts where the clay is melded together between the bone and the hand.

Actually, I've been working on a clay figurine of my own recently. I'll have to make a topic on it once I've finished it.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Worked on attaching the arms, continuing to smooth things by hand, finished the left hand, fixed the legs a bit. Feet need more substance. Just a tiny update. The arms are attached awkwardly. I'll have to remember to pay more attention on the next one and use DW's method. Still need to find a way to realistic do the eyes/eyelids and finish the bottom of the helmet so that the bone detailing can begin.

post-4-138639761637_thumb.jpg

post-4-138639761645_thumb.jpg