A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

USC's spritework

USC

Hey,

Recently I decided to take a shot at spriting again. Unfortunately, I'm still only capable to making Sonic Crackers ones; oh well. Here's my first batch...

attachment.php?attachmentid=654&stc=1&d=1205172441

Before I start animating, I'd like to get opinions on the standing bases. There's something kinda off about Snively's side view in particular, but I'm not quite sure what...

(Incidently, while the Tails Doll is the least "custom" {Snively only steals the eyes, and Robotnik's completely from scratch}, it was also the biggest pain to do).

post-16-138639761514_thumb.png

Glad you like him. Yeah, I was trying to give him some "arching" eyebrows, but I guess it didn't work well in that perspective.

Anyway, here's my next one, along with the improved Robotnik.

attachment.php?attachmentid=655&stc=1&d=1205248410

Rotor! Not exactly the most popular character, but still.

post-16-138639761516_thumb.png

Looks good. Especially the rotor sprites. The use of colors, and the shading are good.. I can't really make out the tails doll sprites tho.. It looks like he has something on his head. A heart and something else? And just curious to why there are no tails on Tails?

@Rael : Ah, thanks. Now you've given me an ego. XD

@Ironrind : Yeah, I guess I tried to cram a lot in there. In Sonic R, he's got a line of stitching that goes around his body on the side, a zipper in the back, and some sort of ball on the top of his head. Pictures at the bottom...

As for the missing tails...umm...I forgot? :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=659&stc=1&d=1205517889

Besides the fixed Tails Doll, there's also the first frame of Sally. The one on the right is an earlier attempt...while it's a nice sprite, it's definitely doesn't fit in with the regular ones.

And now, a fat man running:

attachment.php?attachmentid=657&stc=1&d=1205517889

attachment.php?attachmentid=658&stc=1&d=1205517889

The animation still needs a lot of work, but my question is, does his arms look like they're straight out behind him like in the Sonic 2 ending?

post-16-138639761521_thumb.gif

post-16-138639761523_thumb.gif

post-16-138639761524_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hey. Sorry, I haven't had much time to sprite lately, and I hate posting without at least some new stuff.

@Ryan : Usual for what? Crackers sprites, or bad spriting habits in general? :)

As for falling over, yeah, I guess I need to make the back leg stick out a bit more, and figure out a way to make it stand out more as well.

@Sage : Yeah, you're right on the legs, but I think his arms were a bit thicker (referance here). I'll take a stab at shrinking them when I get time...

Okay, now for Sally's other directions...

attachment.php?attachmentid=734&stc=1&d=1208215578

The only part of the side-view that WASN'T a pain was the actual face (the hair took forever).

Also, I present...

attachment.php?attachmentid=733&stc=1&d=1208226382

Rouge the...Bat-Mouse. :(

I've tried to draw this one a few times over the years, and I've never been able to get the ears right. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

RougeMouse.bmp

CSallyStand.bmp

oldrouge.bmp

Rouge's ears seem a bit small (And possible a bit too far forward on her head), they're pretty huge in most images I've seen, but otherwise that's not a bad attempt - Could do with the wings to finish that off. I think the green background's a bit bright to see the detail (my eyes are a bit pants :P )

Sally looks good, the rear view hair seems a bit funny to be (Not sure why), but the side on and front views look good.

I'm sure I could come up with a use for soooome kind of Isometric, crackers style sprites for some sort of odd project I could be working on :P