A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Pheonix Gamma

the new one looks a bit pants, its all doom and gloom and anime characters (face covering hair and all IIRC from the trailer). advance wars 2 was good, but i felt the super double power was a bit redundant, and the last mission was a complete ball-buster. what was the 1st DS one like?

the new one looks a bit pants, its all doom and gloom and anime characters (face covering hair and all IIRC from the trailer).

That's one guy. Yeesh. The art style is actually more reminiscent of the SNK games.

Dual Strike was a solid entry to the series; it offered a lot more content than I expected from a DS game, though single player was pretty much the same deal, but with the exception of having a top screen sometimes show units high in the skies or whatever. It wasn't really necessary and just complicated things, since you need to watch two fronts, and you'll forget about one of the screens at one point. That said, campaign was pretty brutal even without that feature.

It also had a cool game based on the Atari classic, Combat. It was a realtime shooting game that took place on the map, only you manually controlled a unit. I thought it was a hoot, but this game drops it in favor of a really robust WiFi mode with map trading and voice chat. It's more than a fair trade.

I progressed further in the singleplayer campaign. The story's actually pretty awesome; the developers took a different approach where they created a scenario, and a cast around it. The world's fucked, so you have bandits that fight for scraps and kill innocents, you have a manipulative mayor who double crosses people for his own gain in order to "protect my villagers", and you've got the soldiers who are now without any central government or army. My only gripe is the one mysterious dude that seems to be tormenting people just to be evil. He's not as realistic as everyone else, though I know nothing about him.

Campaign's pretty hard. A decent grasp on the AW concepts definitely help. This time around, the new units are actually pretty vital to missions instead of just ITS A TANK BUT STRONGER YOU BETTER SAVE YOUR PENNIES. The Bike unit is a handy infantry unit that I found myself using a lot in the early and late parts of missions. Anti-tanks are news to me; they fucked my shit in mission 10, which lasted somewhere around 30 days with constant push and pull going on. I'm pretty sure the Duster is a new one, too; it's a plane that attacks both aerial and ground units, but lacks the strength of its other compadres. The ground transport thinger also has a new function; it builds temporary airports that refuel your air units so that they don't have to chose between flying all the way back or blowing up.

EDIT: Ila, I stopped getting S's awhile ago. Who am I trying to impress? :E That said, I beat Chapter 4 with a B. I'm sure if I revisited it now I'd fare better, but...eh.

EDIT: OH WHAT THE FUCK I TOTALLY SAVED THE GAME LAST NIGHT. DAMN YOU CHAPTERS 9 AND 10! Oh well, S'ed 9.

Yea I can already tell this game is going to be brutal, but I'm in for the long haul. I love how this time around they throw you into the game head first with tutorials being displayed on the top screen when the need arises.

Definitely loving the fact that your units gain up to 3 levels as they kill things, which apparantly makes them stronger (Think veteran units from most RTS').

EDIT: Also Brenner is a complete and total badass

ila, I found the "Tactics" option under Mission Info to be pretty handy. If I was failing, it's usually because my strategy was crap. For instance, I keep pushing all my units against the enemy in mission 10, which made it last 30 million days, since they started getting funds for Anti-Tanks, and Anti-Airs were in large supply. The game recommended building indirect units and a different battle plan for the front lines. Just now, I tore through the mission with an A, and in far fewer turns. So long as you watch the percentage before opening fire, and always watching where you're standing, it's pretty easy to wipe out a few units in a turn.

I'm getting to the naval mission right now; something I was never particularly good at in the previous games. Seems like the Rig is even more handy for building Temp. Navy Base things. Now I'll actually get some use out of the damn thing.

This is worth a double post. WOMG STORY SO LEEEET.

C14, 15, and 16 were so win. Even though I pretty much predicted that you'd turn on the New Army and Brenner would die, it was awesome how they implemented it into the gameplay. Getting an S during the escape mission was awesome, then unlocking the CO power in campaign through the story was great too. ROW ROW FIGHT THA POWAH.

This is worth a double post. WOMG STORY SO LEEEET.

C14, 15, and 16 were so win. Even though I pretty much predicted that you'd turn on the New Army and Brenner would die, it was awesome how they implemented it into the gameplay. Getting an S during the escape mission was awesome, then unlocking the CO power in campaign through the story was great too. ROW ROW FIGHT THA POWAH.

yeah i am about that far too

good stuff i like this game a lot

Beat it last night. Holy fuck is this game brutal.

The best parts are when they incorporate the story into the mission. Missions 15 and 16 obviously doing a great job, but 25 was just so awesome. Without spoiling anything, it's the end of the line for your troops; there are 20 enemy units, and only 5 of yours, and you're COless. The tactics section makes it sound feasable, but clearly you're fucked from the get-go. The camra zooms to the other base as Tabitha laughs at you, then zooms to the other end, where an army of over 20 has already arrived, CO loaded in a War Tank. The guitar starts rockin', and it's time to mow the enemy down. Fuck yea.

The last mission is both the hardest, and the easiest. If you don't wipe out the enemy quick enough, you're never going to, and if you charge in blindly, you're fucked anyways. That said, I actually managed to beat it in 9 days, compared to the 40+ spent on mission 22.

The map editor is absolutely incredible. You can actually chose to leave out HQs this time around, which is great for if you want to make scenarios where one player defends while another attacks.