A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

"Lost" a Sci-fi shooter (NEW Demo released, page 3)

xhedgehogx

2/10/08:

Edit:

Here is the updated video. Sorry, Youtube was being a bitch so I had to use Google Video.

I know noone here likes me for some reason, probably for trying to put a Tails ai in Sonic Worlds..., but I decided to show you guys a little project I'm doing.

Theres a short video of the engine in action. It isn't ready to be released because I actually wanted to get at least one real level plus all the sprite work done. Seems like a spinoff of Halo, but the story is completly different. It's sci-fi, obviosuly.

That is only a test level, and none of that will be used in a final level. All work done myself (with the help of certain extensions, phizix, etc.). This is the first time anyone has seen it besides me and a few friends. So be happy :tgrin:

I'm hoping to finish this game eventually, because I have the whole story written out (from a while ago), and something I made in art class last year (at the bottom of the post)

It has some inspiration from Super Mario Bros in it, you might be able to tell from the video. The cute aliens are basically angry goombas. And you can jump on enemies, after enough times falling on them, they'll die.

Anyway, here are some screenshots of the test level:

68488386vo4.jpg

Bad alien dude chasing me.

68418340hb2.jpg

Cute alien trying to kill me. Ha!

56181475ce1.jpg

Shooting..nothing..

31850238ha8.jpg

Ragdoll in action.

75843196en8.jpg

Shielding. (the video never got a chance to show the shields, but it's a cool effect when in motion.)

finalbc5.th.jpg

Concept art :P (jpg)

• Like 1

It looks a lot like Halo. Looks really cool though. May I suggest changing the walking sprites to running sprites or jogging sprites, it might make it look smoother.

Yeah, Halo kind of inspired this, but like I said in my first post, its pretty much a spinoff, as Galaxy Quest is to Star Trek, only way different. I'm not sure if you seen the image at the bottom of the first post, it was made in cartooning class, I actually have a whole comic (in the first person perspective) sketched out as thumbnails, it was pretty sweet.

And I already have most of a story made up for this game, it actually doesn't suck as much as you'd think it would..

Anyway, maybe I'll try the running animation, if it looks good, maybe I'll add a sprint option. I don't know how well the torso half would be animated (it's a seperate object from the legs), because I have different weapon sprites in there, (2 right now, more planned). But it's definatly possible to have that animated well too, especially if I want this game to end up good. I already have the basic level design of the first level done. I gotta work on the foregrounds and backgrounds, but theres a part at the end I got 2 of those following purple things, it's pretty fun, the final will probably only have one in it.

Um, sorry for my long essay thing, I'll take your idea on the running animation, and see if I could put a sprint in, thanks.

Hey, thanks for all the comments, I'm about to record another video, just to show off that those purple things can be a slight challenge. When the videos done, I'll edit the first post and put it in.

I tried out a "sprint" option, it worked better than I thought it would, the running animation isn't started yet though.

First post is edited.

LAzy- http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-2585840322797972096&hl=en-GB

• 3 weeks later...

New Update!

12808kr6.jpg

(That part in the last video)

-Added a graphical mask to the level. Plus background.

-Modified sprint a little.

-Changed/Added some sprites. (specifically the running sprite)

-Updated the Guard AI. They don't do inside the walls anymore. And they're evil now!

Expect a new video soon too!

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally been able to finish the demo! I was expecting an early next week release, but I'm going to be too busy this weekend and most of next week to do anything else to the game. The sounds aren't exactly final (they might be if you guys like the "chip effects," I know I do. There is no music yet.

Here's a quick side note.

A small plea... If anyone understands how to use the Multiplayer online object for Multimedia Fusion 2, please let me know. I really want to get a multiplayer mode in the game, but all attempts at even a simple instant messenger completly failed. I can network, it's just that I don't understand the object at all. (Obviously, I'd have to ge tmore of the game done first, new weapons and powerups...And, I don't think Ragdoll would work out at all the way I have it set up right now.)

Any help with it would really work out well, even a simple instant messenger example file, Thanks!

Here's a bit of "Lost" 101 before you guys start playing the demo. Most of this is taken from my Ingame introduction, but that can just be skipped easily, so I wanted to post it with the demo.

Story:

The Reatta, a starship built in a drydock orbiting Earth has recieved a command to investigate a destructive platform which has a course set for Earth. This platform is codenamed "Lost" according to experts, they say these could be extra terrestrials that could not find their way home, found themselves in our quadrant of space. But these expert ideas were soon to be discovered as wrong as "Lost" was found at the destruction point of a planet full of life..

Controls:

Left/Right Keys--Move

Shift------------Jump

Ctrl-------------Fire Current Weapon

Z----------------Sprint

`----------------Equip Nothing (really no point at all to this)

1----------------Equip Rifle

2----------------Equip Pistol

3----------------Equip Ethorean

4----------------Equip ?????? ??? (It's a secret)

Weapons/Powerups:

Automatic Rifle: Just another ordinary rifle used for killing things.

Pistol: Kills things faster than the automatic rifle.

Ethorean: Alien equivalent to the automatic rifle.

Green Battery: Fully restores your shielding.

Blue Battery: Makes you invisible to the eyes of the enemy.

Enemies:

Guard Elite:

Tall, fast, and easily unavoidable. Best option for killing one of these aliens is to shoot it down with your pistol. Don't get to close to one of these.

Repair Crew:

These little guys are pretty much oblivious of your presence on their ship. They are scrambling to fix the damage your ship, the "Reatta" has done to it. But they will become angry if you try to 'pet' it.

SecuriGuard:

They usually divide themselves into squads of four, and they're almost unstoppable. They don't want you on thier ship, and you don't want them in your vicinity.

Screenshots:

lostshotsdp8.png

I'm hoping to get some critique from this, to help improve the game. Thanks.

Lost Demo.zip

The guard enemy kills me in 1 hit every time, so I never finished it. The orange blocks don't match with the space background at all IMO, and some things could use more polish like enemy collisions and possibly improve walking and running animations. It seems promising enough though, reminds me of the game I'm making.

Thanks guys.

hRook: Yeah, I still need to do a lot with animation. There's some hurt animation in the small things and the flying things, nothing in the guard yet though. Maybe I'll go retro and have their colors change when they're hurt.

Dragon: Their purpose is to kill you in one hit, but I was debating whether I should weaken them a little so your shields will go down (at a fast rate), so the player will at least have a chance to escape. The background, I was debating blue/grey or yellow/orange. I was going to use the blue/grey in a later level, but I can easily just throw the background in photoshop and check out the different color possibilities in there to see if anything looks better.

Thanks again for the critique, it helps out a lot.

69809161fg6.png

Update!

-Fixed Enemy collision so you cannot walk through them anymore.

-Changed the background color

-Made the Guards so they cannot kill you in one hit, but instead drain the shields.

-Enemies color change when they are hurt.

-Added Gimmicks. One is like a turbo shaft that brings you inot the air. The other is just a little ground moving thing.

I tried getting recoil animations, but the way I have things now, it's pretty complicated so thats not done yet.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5135279917515443824&hl=en

Video

There are two levels in this demo (well one and a half, the 2nd isn't exactly completly complete), and five different weapons. Everything you need to know is in the readme. There are also some Logs which basically is the story, as an alternative to cutscenes in between levels. These logs are written by the character you play as, of her condition.

For those who don't read readmes,

Controls:

Arrow Keys=Move

Shift=Jump

Ctrl=Fire

Z(hold)=Sprint

1=M16

2=Magnum

3=Ethorean

4=Portal Gun*

5=Grenade Launcher*

*Can only be accessed with the All Weapons option in Options.

Anyway, I'm not going to bore you guys with stuff, so here are some screenshots and the demo:

88126693dx2.png

Lost Demo 2.zip