A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Advice on Reformating

So... I've decided to reformat my computer, after almost two years without doing so, and wanted some advice from you:

1. How do you guys organize your hard drive space? What do you think that works and what you think that doesn't?
  2. I'm somewhat outdated. What tools, for instance anti-viruses, anti-spyware, firewalls would you guys recommend?

That's basically it.

I use AVG Free even though I probably don't have to.

I've never had to use a spyware removal tool beyond HijackThis. I use Firefox and a good dollop of common sense and never seen to get infected.

If you have the space, hunt down a copy of Acronis TrueImage and make a backup image of your current hard drive. The default compression gives about 40% so you need about half as much free space as you have data to make a backup (higher compression takes longer buy may be worth it). It'll even shop it up into multiple files if you like. The nice thing is TrueImage lets you mount images as read-only drives so you can easily copy files out of the backup.

=Smidge=

AVG free, hijack this!, standard XP and router firewalls. Should probably download spybot.

As for partitions, I recently replaced a busted hard drive on the family computer and gave Windows a 10 GB partition of a 137 GB hard drive (160 GB hard drive actually, but it's an old motherboard and I'm not even sure it has whatever it needs to go above 137. Not worth the trouble for an extra 23 GB on a $40 hard drive for a computer that had 60 GB before). Probably wasn't necessary since it'll undoubtedly never have more than one OS on it. Don't know if that was the right size to do, either.