A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

TFH Christmas Demo

BlazeHedgehog

tfhdemo.png

http://blazefire.mooglecavern.com/tfh_christmas.rar

Hey yeah enjoy and make sure you read the fine print.

I'm sorry the level is so pitifully small, but it's all I had time to do and as you can see I still went over the deadline. Levels in the real game will hopefully be bigger.

Edit: Before I go to bed, allow me to provide some history on TFH for those of you who aren't aware. Only the oldest of the oldest from SFGHQ will remember TFH.

I started it in late 2000/early 2001. Since then, it's Duke-Nukem-Forever-style development cycle has seen it change engines a number of times (three or four) because I'd always code one and then near the end of finishing up I'd get sick of my messy code and start from scratch, continually making it better and better and better...

Down the line, Damizean was just starting to fool around with MMF and the very first version of Sonic Worlds was beginning to take shape on MMF1.5. I tried to write my own loops engine and it just wasn't working out right. By now, MMF2 was out and Dami had released a very early, very preliminary version of Sonic Worlds for MMF2 - it only had Sonic and a few animations and the loop engine. Everything else hadn't been added yet; consider it a naked version of Sonic Worlds. Swallowing my pride, I adapted this naked Sonic Worlds for TFH.

And that brings us to here. My version of Sonic Worlds is not compatible with the version of Sonic Worlds that we have a subforum dedicated to, nearly everything you see in this TFH beta was written by myself. Hence, some of it isn't very good and Dami would probably faint at my messy code.

TFH was best known for it's major plot point in which Tails died in the first ten minutes. After playing Sonic 2k6 and feeling suitably embarassed by it, I'm considering toning down TFH's more "mature" elements in order to eliminate the cheese factor. But toning them down while making sure it doesn't feel like kid-ifying censorship is a difficult task.

Anyway, yeah. That's TFH in a nutshell. Enjoy!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its pretty... but dude... no gimmicks? I'm a little disappointed. Still, I guess its forgivable what with it being a throw-away stage for Christmas and all.

Four days (well, six if you count the delays)! That's how long it took me to make this. That's finding and making tiles, finishing up a couple loose ends in the engine to make it playable, and then putting it all together.

And my engine isn't compatible with the crazy gimmick-heavy Sonic Worlds you guys are working on, either. So if I wanted any gimmicks I'd have to make them myself and there's just no way I could do it in that short amount of time.

Don't be so picky. :tbored:

Oh DW shut up... You know gimmicks don't make a game. :E

Not to mention TFH was always more of a moving story. The game was all about the production, and now, while it might be contested in the face of the promptly dumped XG (4 retroxgsonix), it's always sortof set the production standard we should all follow.

lol trouble keeping coherency... Sleep time for me it looks like.

Not to drudge this up (infact, I almost did not post it at all), but could you guys keep an eye out for Blazefire on the various forums you visit? Apparently he's been passing around a version of what he claims is TFH's engine trying to get some help coding it.

I've heard it's just an old version of Sonic Worlds with some poorly implemented extras (wall kicking) and a couple sprites of mine that he stole when I posted them in the screenshot thread.

It would not surprise me if he tries to pass off the Christmas Demo as his own work.

Remember: I only ever use one email address ([email protected]), so if somebody out there is claiming to me and they can't prove they're using that email address, it's not me. It's also worth mentioning that I seriously am never on any instant messaging programs. I'm never on AIM, and I'm never on MSN. I don't have them installed. I hate'em. Too many people like Blazefire find me on those things and I end up sitting there with 30 IM windows open and I'm way too nice just to block most of them.

Not to drudge this up (infact, I almost did not post it at all), but could you guys keep an eye out for Blazefire on the various forums you visit? Apparently he's been passing around a version of what he claims is TFH's engine trying to get some help coding it.

I've heard it's just an old version of Sonic Worlds with some poorly implemented extras (wall kicking) and a couple sprites of mine that he stole when I posted them in the screenshot thread.

It would not surprise me if he tries to pass off the Christmas Demo as his own work.

Remember: I only ever use one email address ([email protected]), so if somebody out there is claiming to me and they can't prove they're using that email address, it's not me. It's also worth mentioning that I seriously am never on any instant messaging programs. I'm never on AIM, and I'm never on MSN. I don't have them installed. I hate'em. Too many people like Blazefire find me on those things and I end up sitting there with 30 IM windows open and I'm way too nice just to block most of them.

Well WTF... I thought PG was supposed to have solved this problem... Looks like he resurrected the beast from KO and couldn't contain it.

Well WTF... I thought PG was supposed to have solved this problem... Looks like he resurrected the beast from KO and couldn't contain it.

Well, I'm not 100% sure it's Blazefire, but it certainly the stuff he's known for doing. Apparently it's a different email address, though. But really, it takes, what? 20 minutes to register a new hotmail address? [email protected] is probably just his new email address.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... it's probably a duck, you know?

someone needs to shoot you while you're taking a dump! I hope the crap solidifies halfway out of your butt when you die! bwahaha!!!

Lovely demo Blaze. Remarkable! And I will keep all 4 eyes open for Blazefire.

Sigged.

I'll keep an eye out for him at SSMB.

Well, I'm not 100% sure it's Blazefire, but it certainly the stuff he's known for doing. Apparently it's a different email address, though. But really, it takes, what? 20 minutes to register a new hotmail address? [email protected] is probably just his new email address.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... it's probably a duck, you know?

That is his new email address. He instant messaged me and told me so. And also, I think it might be an old version of worlds. He sent me a link to some folder of Damizean's with an old version of Worlds. Oh and nice demo. The snow is really nice!

He has one of the first versions of the SAGE Nexus demo too and also will not give them up. So, we're both in the same boat.

Apparently, he's at Sonic Deck. Oh wait, he is:

So' date=' at the Sonic deck, we're giving him a chance. So far, he hasn't done anything bad. If he turns out good, can I point him back here?[/quote']

Naturally, I said, "fuck no."

I'm downloading this demo and giving it a play. Can't wait. :D

Seems history is doomed to repeat itself... Over and over and over again.

First me, then PG, and now Aylingling...

I do believe this demo needs more giant venus fly traps and eggman killing tails though... :E

Woah, pretty sweet. Glad to see this, actually. I remember playing the old TFH demo where you were running through that.. thing. I forget, lol. In all seriousness, the only problem I could spot was that when you're rolling, you can turn around and face the opposite direction you're rolling in. That's all.

Ugh, this is it. I've totally got to start a project of some sort with the Sonic Worlds enigne over the summer. Most of the stuff I've seen with it looks great.

So, at the Sonic deck, we're giving him a chance. So far, he hasn't done anything bad. If he turns out good, can I point him back here?

Hell. No. I'm tired of that guy never learning his lesson, and if I were you, Ayling, I'd ban the hell out of him.