A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Emotions Topic

S0LV0

If I have any emotions to say, it'd be mostly nervous. Mostly because I've had to take up a summer job and tons of loans to pay for private school, and it's left a pretty big hole in terms of expenses in my household. My parents don't want me to change schools since the school I got into is one of the best opportunities for art majors out there, but it's depressing to see them constantly worried about debt and expenses on top of them. It doesn't help that FASFA says we make too much money.

I'll figure something out.

I feel relaxed, at ease and extremely happy right now. One of my greatest friends has become a big brother figure in my life, which is more than I could ever ask for. I do need people like him so yeah I'm extremely happy about that. Funny thing is he's younger than me age wise. :P

Not that big of a deal to some, but I feel like we're beginning to understand each other more. I used to have a lot of doubts about myself and what people thought of me, I was always negative in that aspect.

But since recently...I can finally put those doubts to rest. I know they'll be there for me and vice versa. Here's hoping our friendship can last a lot longer than my previous ones...

• 4 weeks later...

I literally broke down into tears. It was hurtful not helpful to me. I seriously give up drawing. My unreality world is shattered. Drawing inspires me and gets me away from reality and now I can't rebuild it. 

I get what your going through. Art is not an easy path to take, because the artist is rarely satisfied with their work. But that dosen't mean you should give up. It means that you must continue down the path of art and keep learning more. I used to be the same way. In art school I would get upset whenever I got a critique too. Heres a trick to make it easier.  There are two kinds of critiques, ones that are constructive while others are nasty (people spouting out rude comments that are not constructive). Ignore the critiques full of nasty comments because they mean nothing. And the critiques that are constructive are not meant to be mean, but to make your art grow. I dont know this situation very well, but it sounds to me like this guy was giving you an unfair critique without anything constructive. Not everyone will understand your style, but I assure you that many others will. So keep your chin up and keep drawing. :D

• Like 1

Here's something I heard for all you artists out there. I love this saying and even have it written in my Sketchbook; "An artist does not define his success by the approval of others, an artist need only please himself." A little while ago, I was reputation hunting like crazy and being an attention whore. It made me miserable, hate myself, and tell people things that weren't true. When summer came, I got space to myself, a job that I am happy with, and a realization that who and what I was wasn't me. I was trying to define myself through others. That's not right. So I severed a few "friendships" I had, went my own way, became more humble, and did the one thing I needed most; made art that pleased me. Art is a path that has many twists and turns. Truth is they all lead somewhere and it's your choice to follow the paths you set.

• Like 1

If I have any emotions to say, it'd be mostly nervous. Mostly because I've had to take up a summer job and tons of loans to pay for private school, and it's left a pretty big hole in terms of expenses in my household. My parents don't want me to change schools since the school I got into is one of the best opportunities for art majors out there, but it's depressing to see them constantly worried about debt and expenses on top of them. It doesn't help that FASFA says we make too much money.

I'll figure something out.

Thats a rough situation. School can be a real pain to pay for sometimes, I've been there. I think what can help your situation is to try to not worry or get nervous over the things you can't change. Doing this wont solve your problem, but it will make you feel a little better. It seems like your doing your best to help out with the expenses by getting a job, and in the end the best is all you can do. I think your parents would want you to enjoy school instead of worrying so much.

• 5 weeks later...

Feeling kinda down. It's my last days of Summer, my new year's gonna be pretty annoying. But you know what? I'm gonna do everything it takes to be looked as a smart student again. My last year was probably my WORST year. I was stupid. Not paying attention in class, doing homework REALLY late at night, being super lazy, and just being a good for nothing student. But, I'm gonna change that this year. No matter what it takes. As soon as I get home, I'm doing that homework. Not playing video games, not hanging out the interwebz, and not taking naps. As soon as I'm done, THEN I'll do all these fun things. School comes first, and I should know this. I'm gonna go for every extra-credit assignment, I'm not gonna fool around in class, and I won't be a lazy brat. I'm gonna do everything it takes to be one of the best students again.

• 6 months later...

Hopefully this isn't a horrid bump but I need to get something off my chest.

I'm currently looking for a car to cease my bus riding days as I am sick of public transportation. Yesterday I contacted someone in my area on CL about a dodge shadow that they were selling. I told them I have the cash ready and I am willing to come the next morning to get the car. She agreed for me to so and told me to contact her in the morning to go to their location. This morning I did just that. The first time I shot a text asking for the address so I could make my way before work and possibly drive the car to work. I waited for an hour. Next I called and left a message. I waited yet another hour. It was nearing my time for work, and I shot them another text asking for info. At this point I was on my way to work and texted her that I am at work and need info on what going on. I was getting kinda pissed off now so I called her one last time. It rang twice and went to voicemail. Right off the bat, I realized this person was avoiding contact because 1)She sold the car the day before and didn't want me to know, or 2)She's dicking around with me. As of right now, I'm good and mad. The least, THE LEAST that could have been done was a confirmation or a notification of what was going on.

TL;DR, Yet another CL jerk.

More like the EMO topic

Well last night I cried myself to sleep 

I literally broke down into tears. It was hurtful not helpful to me. I seriously give up drawing. My unreality world is shattered. Drawing inspires me and gets me away from reality and now I can't rebuild it. 

Criticism a reality of art. The truth hurts, and If you can't take people telling you they dislike your drawings then you'll never get any better. If you want to draw just to have fun thats fine, but if you want to get better you need to quit being so squishy to criticism. 

If you do want to get better? Do yourself an early favor, do not hide behind "my style" or "the way I draw" when it comes to technique. Its a crutch that can only ever be kicked from under you.

So, she rejected me. But you know what's funny?

I actually felt okay! I mean sure, I cried because I really liked her. But I actually felt okay after that. I was like so energetic, happy, and like good as new! I was the happiest guy on Earth!

My question is: Is this bad?

Anxiety with women, it's like a sack of bricks. Just go for it homie, the answer is always better than the wondering.

@FromASloth
I feel this one, especially the FASFA part. Fortunately Unfortunately i dropped out soo