A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

"It's a Wonderful World" to come stateside at last

Pheonix Gamma

Forgive me for starting a topic about a game few people seem to know about, but I've been praying for this game to be translated, and Square seems to be taking a chance on the game.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/9153/1/It%E2%80%99s_a_Wonderful_World:_Confirmed_for_Europe,_Spring_2008!

Set to be released under the name "The World Ends With You" (due to copyright and stuff. Off the top of my head there's a movie and a song with the same title)

Anywho, I got my hands on the awesome soundtrack and such, and once my R4 comes in (huzzah for early christmas gifts) I'm going to try the japanese version out, if only to get my feet wet on the decidedly busy gameplay.

Here's to niche games.

EDIT: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subarashiki/ <-game site

I'm confused. Is this like..a fighting game? Or a rhythm game?

The game's combat system, called the "Stride Cross Battle System", uses both screens of the Nintendo DS. Neku has three partners, one in each and specific chapter of the game. The player can freely choose which partner to use, once clearing the game. One of the three partners is displayed on the top screen, while Neku is displayed on the bottom. Battle actions take place simultaneously between both characters. The touch screen is used to move and attack with Neku, whose abilities depend on the badges equipped. On the top screen, movement can be controlled with the D-Pad, which is tapped for specific techniques.

tl;dr: Both. Which means I have until Spring 2008 to finish my rythm fighter :E

EDIT: After watching some gameplay videos, I'm not sure on the rhythm part, though it was a camera recording the DS, and the combat was pretty fast.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subarashiki/

Site gives a good feel for the game.

I've played through a bit of the japanese game. The lower screen portion of the battles is strictly stylus combat with different strokes used to activate spells and to move around and stuff...very intuitive and works well. The top screen is a simpler battle system, the chick fighter has a branched system of combos she fights with activated by the dpad directions, if you finish certain branches and manage to deal some damage, your fighter on the bottom screen will be healed and stuff like that. I think both characters are fighting the exact same enemies...I'm not exactly sure how it's actually described in game, it's very weird, but it works.

Later they add a roulette thing to the top screen which gives your bottom screen fighter a super move if done correctly.

It gets pretty hectic but fighting on the bottom screen is so satisfying, you get to choose from I think over 100 different upgradeable spells and moves to fight with.