A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Grinding @.@

Kasei Honoo

Ugh...whenever I hear the word "grinding", memories from scarring moments at my 7th grade dance come back to haunt me.

Also, the concept then forces you to add in arbritary railings in areas that would realistically not have rails at all. ("I'm just going to randomly slide on this stair railing that's in the middle of the jungle, nothing out of the ordinary here!")

But I digress.

All you'd have to do, in theory, is to set deceleration to 0 and ignore directional input (don't ignore other input, though, since you still want to be able to jump off) while Sonic is "grinding" (Aggghh...NOOO!!!).

The Worlds Engine will handle the rest actually.

I've been considering implementing the concept myself, but instead as sliding across ice or even ripped-from-Disney tree surfing.

I think I might go tinker with that right now and let y'all know if I make any breakthroughs.

Hehe whats the matter some guy grind against you or something?

No, even worse...an ugly fat chick.

What made it so scarring was that I didn't realize what she looked like until she dragged me out of the dark, poorly-lit dance room to try and make-out *shudder*

[/off-topic]

It's fairly simple - create a new group for grind rails, and when Sonic is overlapping it you'll need to disable the left and right controls. You'll need to give Sonic physics similar to his rolling physics - when he's going up a grind rail he slows down, when he goes down he speeds up. Take a look at the rolling events and copy/modify them.

Rael: Is it really that simple. I totally have to get better at art fast so that I can mess with the Sonic Worlds engine over the summer..

"Also, the concept then forces you to add in arbritary railings in areas that would realistically not have rails at all."

Hardly, you can take any gimmick ever and abuse the hell out of it. It's just a matter of being able to design levels properly and use gimmicks/abilities sparing or in interesting combinations.