A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

GM6.1 Sonic Engine

Chaos Rush

Well, recently on SCD I posted the new Sonic Revival engine, so I've decided that I should post it at other places to.

The engine was built off of the Layering example that Damizean posted here some time ago. The item boxes and shields were made with the help of the Sonic Dash engine, so theres also credits to Rogueyoshi. After ringloss was implemented, TechnoSuperguy from SCD helped me with fixing many glitches, and Kain helped someone at SCD on how to do Checkpoints, so theres credits to him. Here is the general credits list:

Chaos Rush -For compiling the engine

Damizean -For engine base

Rogueyoshi -For Item Boxes, Sonic 3 shields, Shield sprites, and the HUD

Alex Z (from GMC) -For some of the sprites

Kain -for Checkpoints

TechnoSuperguy (from SCD/GMC) -For helping me fix many glitches

The engine was made because I wanted something decent for my fangame that I'm working on at SCD, and so I could prevent this other guy from deciding to use the Sonic ZX engine.

The engine covers:

360 Degree Movement

Lives System

Checkpoints

Ringloss

Basic Enemy Collision

Static Platforms

Layering

Ring Collection

Silver 20+ Rings

Bumpers

Springs

Spikes

Dashers

HUD with Lives+Rings+Timer+Score

Extra Life Monitor

Eggman Monitor

+10 Rings Monitor

Regular Shield

Fire Shield

Water Shield

Electricity Shield + Magnetic Rings

Invincibility Monitor

And here is the engine itself:

The Sonic Revival Engine

And yes, I know some of the stuff is handled through D&D, but I started learning GML back in June and haven't learned much since ;). All comments are appreciated!

• Like 1

Awesome, Chaos Rush. If I wasn't so far into Sonic GR already I would use this.

R-r-r-r-r-r-rep up.

Thanks! Actually, I was thinking of implementing Tails & Knuckles into this engine, and seeing as your fangame has Tails & Knuckles, I was thinking maybe I should ask you on how to fly, glide, and wall climb ;).

Actually, I find it easier to use one character. I actually just use a sprite change, and make it so that abilities are only available depending on what your global.character value is.

EDIT: Uh, I can't seem to download a copy of GM6 anymore (Thanks, Yoyogames.). Would you mind if it magically turned into a .gm7 file?

Got the chance to finally test this.

• Deceleration is weak, which makes it easy to run into things. By that same token, top speed is too high as well.
  • You die if you hit the ceiling of the room.
  • Item boxes break when you touch them. I'd much rather work for it.
  • Shield graphics should animate faster - they impede on my view of the player.
  • Blue jump wave should be behind the player - same as above.
  • Enemy explosion should be smaller; item box should also have that explosion.
  • Player's animation alignment is poor.

My excitement was killed once I actually got to play it. I'm afraid I'm just not that impressed. It's good work, but I wish it were "great" work. =/

My excitement was killed once I actually got to play it. I'm afraid I'm just not that impressed. It's good work, but I wish it were "great" work. =/

I doubt that one of the people of SCDTi could actually think of this engine as "great" work because you could easily have something much better than this. This engine is probably crap compared to what you guys could come up with.

Blue jump wave should be behind the player - same as above.
I intended it to be above the player.

Alright, Chaos Rush, I eventually found an old copy of GM6. I'll start making the characters.

I think the best way to do that would probably be this:

First, make an object called objStartPlace. Then make a variable called global.CharacterID. Then make it so that if global.CharacterID is equal to 1, then place objSonic at where objStartPlace is. If global.CharacterID is equal to 2, then place objTails at the objStartPlace. If global.CharacterID is equal to 3, then place Knuckles at objStartPlace.

There, I think that would make it so that you don't have to have multiple rooms for characters. Also is Sonic 4's engine a build off of Damizean's?

EDIT: Also, in a few weeks I might update the engine with improvements and more stuff, because at SCD, Kain showed us how to implement Grinding into that engine, and it works perfect! Also I'll try to change the things that AeroGP mentioned. And of course, Spike is working on Tails and Knuckles.

Sonic 4 is built off of Damizeans oldest slopes tutorial, the one with just one little room. It's basically about 90% my own, but I still give him major credit (Because I never could have figured it out on my own).

If you want to have seperate objects as characters, that's fine, but you will have to make new collision events for every single character and that gets a little annoying after a while. I'll do that if you want want to, though.

If you want to have seperate objects as characters, that's fine, but you will have to make new collision events for every single character and that gets a little annoying after a while. I'll do that if you want want to, though.

Well, Sonic's parent object is objPlayer, and that basically handles the collision events (except Rings).

EDIT: Damnit! I never noticed those player_collsion scripts from Damizean. Sorry about how poorly made the spikes are, they could be easily made better after I noticed those scripts.