A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic's Vacation - You love it long time

ssbfalcon

Sonic's Vacation is the story of Sonic going on vacation along with parodies of some flaws that appear in games...

I personally can't wait till the game's core area, Beta Valley is complete...

Included is a buggy 2-player split screen test and 4 levels of awesomeness... All subject to change...

Well, the booth's over here... Download link is on the page...

http://ssbfalcon.googlepages.com/sage

Comments? Criticisms? Hilarity? Blazefire? Bugs?

*edit*

Speaking of Bugs: I found a few non showstopper bugs... A patched version is avaliable now.

1. Sometimes the conversation area goes wacky when you start the Cookie Tin Factory Level... Just die and it should be not annoying anymore...

2. Other things that only I would notice but adds that little extra bit of awesome...

3. Fixed problem gimmick which sometimes causes crashes (memory error)

I prefer to call it... HD fangaming... The higher screen res allowed more detail, and for single pixel particles to not look like lego blocks...

And the speed and the level design of the game didn't allow for resolutions lower than that, unless everything was shrunk...

I've played it now. It's pretty good, but a little buggy. The pole gimmick isn't very well done (The one that sticks out and you use to bounce upwards) because when I hit it, it played the bounce sound effect over and over, started moving slowly, and crashed the program.

However, the way you can control tails when you push tab is an amazing little detail that is very original to fangaming. That gimmick really makes the game for me.

Heh, that level didn't go through my usual week or two of QA per level... Then again, after playing it so much I know what to expect... The feedback's nice though... I'll note that on my todo list...

Were the backtrack traps too annoying?

Oh and Spike, thanks for pointing that out. While I never ran into that problem before, I think I found what can cause that. Also added to todo list...

I played it again, got crashed by that pole, then I played yet another time. Two things.

One, why was the fight with Silver Sonic RPG style? There wasn't really anything to it, you have two attacks, as long as you used either one whenever you could you win. I'd rather have a Sonic-style boss.

Two, I got stuck in an area of infinite repeating on the factory. I went through a pipe, which sent my through a satellite, back on a path to that same pipe. I really tried everything. That area may seem simple because you made it, but it's really complicated. It's only the 2nd real level, so maybe you should tone it down a bit.

The Boss is like that just to be dumb... The Factory Boss will be a traditional boss, but with some twists... (Occasionally using a robot to help you...)

Silver Sonic bosses will all be strange, increasing in quality till the last time you face him...

It's official, the difficulty of the factory level is a tad * 100 too much for a second real level... The trick at this point was to go left instead of continuing right... Probably an arrow or something would make that less difficult...

The problem with the booster has been found... I'll update the SAGE demo in case some didn't download the demo already since that's a real problem... (think: epicly massive object spam...)

*fixed* for those who didn't download it already... Also, changed positions of a few things and added an arrow to make things a tad simpler... Major work won't happen till after SAGE however... Thanks for the report.

I'll try to be more specific as to what got me about the level. =P

Around the beginning there was a spring that pretty much catapulted me into some enemies to the right and I dropped down all the way to the bottom. Then exploring around there and going through the satelite warp thingy, I dropped down to get blasted by a giant egg-robo and die from falling left to my doom. This repeated a couple times until I grew to know the part more and then I relized there didn't seem to be anywhere to go. The springs just put me back to the first part I fell to.

Now, I decided try to get back up after falling. This was really difficult as Sonic kept sliding off these platforms I had to jump to. I had finally made it to the top and then the spring I mentioned at the beginning that put me on the enemies shot me right over the top platform and back down to the bottom again. I quit at that point. x.x

If you need me to, I could make a quick vid of what I'm talking about since I don't think I explained it good at all. =/

Really though, besides that I enjoyed the game. I loved the humorous bits you had in there. ^.^ I think I'll try it again to see if I can get passed it this time around.

Edit: Read your above post. Gonna redownload Sonic Vacation.

Here right?

part1.png

Yeah, there's now an arrow to make it clear where to go... But when I get back to redesigning of parts, the springs probably won't just take you back... Just bring you somewhere else...

Just to note, this will probably annoy you as well..

part2.png

You have to jump over the stream of water, otherwise you'll be taken back... >_<

I made it so you don't have to jump as high this time, since you'll be running fullspeed in that direction... Again, this is something that will be considered in the redesign...

While I'm at it, what did you guys think of the tileset for that level? It's relatively custom made... Since most of it comes from modifying the background layer...

Ah, thanks... I rendered a sky chase midi I found in FLstudio using some soundfonts I liked... Namely the sax ones... I have some issues with it though, and I'll probably be working on it to give it more of a kick... Look for samples eventually in the Art boards...

I also just tested this game on a 2.93Ghz Celeron D, and ran into lag city when it came to the parallax once I tuned parallax off in the options things ran better... Anyone ran into performance issues?

And no... the Factory level doesn't have a 'parallax option off' background just yet... As this one can't be tilled as easily...

• 2 months later...

Well, I had to reformat my Windows Partition on my laptop only to find (Things actually work properly now on Windows...) my MMF 1.5 cd is borked.

I do have, um... a uh... copy of MMF 2 I can use, but it would require me to redo the particle system as the Power function object was never ported over... And I think the other extensions are there... I think...

I hope I can get it all working, otherwise, I'll see what I can do...

It's the MMF CD itself that's not working? You could ask clickteam to mail you a new copy, though I'm not sure if they'd do that since MMF1.5 is outdated. If that doesn't work, I could rip the contents of the CD for you and send it.

lol, this is why you don't actually purcha*SHOT*

lol, this is why you don't actually purcha*SHOT*

I bought mine... Well, MMF 1.5...

But it doesn't make a bit of difference... The CD is inert...

(though I've been meaning to get a decent scratch filler thingy... I have a few old cube games that are scratched badly, but not too deep...)