A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

NEW Nights Journey of Dreams topic

ila

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.

So anyway has anyone found anything new yet? I notice sega is churning out alot of info on the PSU expansion in Famitsu, im sure Nights may be there too.

Then again, im pretty certian PSU is a bigger priority for Sega right now, since they have to make it surpass PSO for people to keep paying to play. (their doing a pretty good job so far.)

Bah you get what i mean though.

The reason i skip out on the apostrophe is because my computer is seriously screwed up. It somehow found a way to screw over a language pack i installed, and now everytime i use that key (and a few others) i have to press space or some shit for it to actully print it there.

I would find a way to fix it, but there's so much shit wrong with this computer its not even worth it.

So I went into Gamestop today, and asked to preorder NiGHTS. The guy didn't take me seriously at first, and then ignored me because he thought I was pulling his leg. So when I started cussing at him, he got the picture and called the store manager. My exact line was, "I didn't wait ten goddamn years to put up with this shit!" I got the preorder for free because of this. Now every time someone buys a Wii game, they ask if they want to preorder NiGHTS. Gamestop can go fuck themselves.

Guest Shadix
Yeah.

So anyway has anyone found anything new yet? I notice sega is churning out alot of info on the PSU expansion in Famitsu, im sure Nights may be there too.

Then again, im pretty certian PSU is a bigger priority for Sega right now, since they have to make it surpass PSO for people to keep paying to play. (their doing a pretty good job so far.)

Meh, TBH I've really wonder just how many resources actually get spent on that franchise. I don't think the original game sold that well (I could be wrong, but it wasn't well received by the critics either), and the expansion has always seemed to me like a side project for the very purpose you mentioned. (keeping people paying)

Listen to yourself though, a sequel to NiGHTs. It's been a decade since the original game, and people have been begging for a LONG TIME. It's a major project, Sonic Team have been waiting a longtime for the right time to do this. It shouldn't be a small endeavor.

DW: Was that really necessary? That sounded like PM material, and setting this topic up for derailment after Ila made this topic to get things back on topic.

Please, let's not let this topic get derailed like the last goddamn topic. I'm already quite pissed off.

Honestly, I think Shadix may be partially right about PSU. The question is, how much dose SEGA think NiGHTS is gonna sell. I mean, it's been about a decade since it came out. Only oldschool gamers would know of the franchise, and at first glance, the game comes off as some weird kids game. It's not like I even needed to preorder the game. The majority of the sales are going to come from the fact that it's being released near Christmas time, and there's also the fact that several other major games are coming out within the same time period (Mario and Brawl). I'm just hoping that if the game is successful, that it doesn't result in a bunch of half-assed spin offs like they do with their other franchises. NiGHTS is NiGHTS, and it needs to stay as such.

Meh, TBH I've really wonder just how many resources actually get spent on that franchise. I don't think the original game sold that well (I could be wrong, but it wasn't well received by the critics either), and the expansion has always seemed to me like a side project for the very purpose you mentioned. (keeping people paying)

Listen to yourself though, a sequel to NiGHTs. It's been a decade since the original game, and people have been begging for a LONG TIME. It's a major project, Sonic Team have been waiting a longtime for the right time to do this.

@ shadix (Spoiler'd for the sake of not derailing, PSU Ex. talk)

Well, im scared at this point for thinking that Sonic Team is actully working hard on this product. But they are showing really good progress. PSU sold poorly because they neglected alot of things like good marketing and such and relied on the PSO fanbase to sell it. The game was VERY sub-par though, and they lost alot of people because of that. Apparently they knew it was, since the damn expansion was announced before the fucking game was even released. The Expansion is including pretty much everything the orginal launch title is seriously lacking / flat out missing, plus a TON of engine reworkings and crap to balance out the overall gameplay.

Which seriously suprised me. Seriously seriously. I expected the expansion to be a nice little "here take this n shut up" dose of content. A few new stages here, a few new weapons here, and all the old problems. But nah, they have confirmed to be giving the whole combat engine a well needed overhaul from mass polls from the players. A few things i've heard they've reworked:

-A way to make combat less "SPAM TRIANGLE FOR MASSIVE PA DAMAGE"

-The fucking lag (they SAID this, im still waiting for it to be confirmed x2 before i get happy)

-new classes

-better monster AI (they themselves said their going to use their attacks and such to advantage and stop being so linear.) Hope that means NPC AI too, because they are fucking stupid.

-grinding system (failed grind = lose weapon is stupid and everyone hates it. so they changed it.)

-A timed combat system similar to PSO (get to that later)

Physical changes

-An extra combo attack is added when you time your attacks right (or something)

-When you guard an attack, if you time the button press you can do a special counter attack. (Im 100% sure this was added for the sake of the new Acrofigher class which blocks absolutely EVERYTHING. When you block, it overrides any other animation your doing, and it pissed off the players, so they added a special attack to make up for it)

-Changed a few attack animations, and the new acrofigher classes have new/faster attacking animations

- a few other things, those grabbed my immediate attention.

So im really not sure about PSU:AoI. If they pull through, it'll mean a MUCH bigger audience of people, so im sure they wont screw it up too badly. They dont have the room to fuck this up like they did the Sonic the Hedgehog series, since they'll pay out the ass for it.

About the Nights comment, i've been waiting for a sequel to Phantasy Star Online forever. (Episode 3 wasn't too hot.) Ain't been 10 years, but its been close enough to the decade mark.

You have to keep in mind that yes, this is NIGHTS. Regardles of what anyone says, people like us are going to buy it, and buy it quicker than we would the next Sonic sequel becuase it's been so long. It saddens me that i have to question Sonic Team's motives these days when it comes to bringing a series back to life. I mean, thats what they said for Sonic Next, right?

I'm seeing what their trying to do with Phantasy Star Universe, and i hope they can put that exact same effort to please the fans into this game. The only problem is that what they have to do to "please the fans", espically in Nights' case, is very minimal. They're pushing it really hard (so it seems, i gotta find out come time for Beta) on PSU, i hope they push harder on Nights.

we'll find out soon enough.

"You have to keep in mind that yes, this is NIGHTS. Regardles of what anyone says, people like us are going to buy it, and buy it quicker than we would the next Sonic sequel becuase it's been so long. It saddens me that i have to question Sonic Team's motives these days when it comes to bringing a series back to life. I mean, thats what they said for Sonic Next, right?"

Fully agreed.

May be just me, but the level is a bit too empty and plain. Needs more objects and loops and whatever to pull crazy acrobatics, which I'm confident will be added in the final version.

Original footage of that youtube had only the sound effects in place so it could be used for that trailer with the horrible narrator.

First NiGHTS should be an unlockable for fanservice purposes, but knowing SEGA why bother including it as a freebie when you can sell it in a Saturn Collection or similar? :P

All the items seem awful far apart in that video, I hope they haven't scrapped the linking element of the game. And why is he chasing a bird and carrying a key? Have they changed the objective? I want to collect blue spheres and blow up those floaty things.

=(

If you'll notice, he's still collecting blue spheres and blowing up floaty things, they just look different. I think the objective is the same, they just made it more involved. If you have a key at some point, you can probably open another path that leads to more blue spheres or bonus points. I've also read he can turn into a dragon with a powerup.

Yes NiGHTS can wear Persona masks that allow him to change into different shapes and such, though in the original NiGHTS such a item was never needed.

Some extra info I picked up about the game, the new characters Will and Helen will play a larger role in the game, more so then their predecessor...

Helen and Will are the two new personalities replacing Eliot and Claris as the humans that transform into the acrobatic Nights, but their role isn’t quite the same as Eliot and Claris’ was. According to a Sega representative, players can control Helen and Will in 3D platforming levels later on in the game, and once players collect blue balls when flying around as Nights, they can use those as projectiles when playing as Helen and Will.

- From 1up.com

I’m not so sure about this, because I thought, Iizuka and his studio, what with great games like Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, was going to screw over the game hard but was pleasantly surprised (though still a bit cautious, those levels look sooooo barren) but I'll hold out until I've seen a video of the new kids levels.

Also found this trailer of the gameplay video, but with music, now I'm NOT CERTAIN myself if this is the actual music from the game, but it does sound awesome and I really am hoping it is.

http://www.wiiz.fr/article.php?a=12228