A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

PlayStation 3 on sale this August! Back to School special!

Sony Corp. slashed the price of its current PlayStation 3 by $100, or 16.7 percent, and introduced a high-capacity model in an effort to spur sales of the struggling video game console. Starting Monday, the current 60 gigabyte model will cost $499, down from $599.

The Japanese electronics maker also said it is introducing a new version of the PlayStation 3 with a bigger hard drive for storing downloaded content such as video games and high-definition movies.

The new PS3 increases the system's storage capacity to 80 gigabytes from 60 gigabytes and also includes a retail copy of the online racing title "MotorStorm," a company spokesman said. It will be priced at $599...

...Karraker said Sony would use the E3 show to focus on two areas: ways to increase the number of consumers who own PS3s and other products such as the PlayStation Portable handheld system, and expanding the system's library of available games.

He said Sony would be releasing 100 new video games during the current fiscal year, including 15 titles that are exclusive to the PS3 such as the hack-and-slash action title "Heavenly Sword."

So, wasn't there a model that was lower than $60? What, did they just toss that version out the window?

Wii is starting to suck to me too.

Im just going to get a 360 and then whore my wii when MP3 Brawl and Galaxy is released. Wii concept is awesome but its Last-Gen graphics and lack of good games kills me.

360 is the platform thats getting all the games PS3 should but wont get exclusively because it sucks. Soul Calibur 4, DMC4, FFXIII, everything i want seems to be put on 360 and PS3, while Wii gets ugly spinoffs.

The Wii is awesome, but GOD the graphics make my eyes cry. I dont feel like buying a gamecube with motion sensing anymore. I have yet to see anyone harness the potental of the Wii aside from Square and Nintendo themselves.

EDIT:

That, and the whole "we dont like online interaction" or "We dont like Hardrives" or "We dont like DVD playback" mindset is going to kill everything down the line. Im glad its getting fighting games, but when i get a game as hardcore as Guilty Gear, i dont want to fucking use motion sensing to play.

Yeah, the pussiness that Nintendo has about online play pisses me off to no end. I bought the game, it's not my fault you want to protect little kids, I don't like going on the internet for an hour to round up a list of friend codes so that I can play one match and quit.

EDIT:

That, and the whole "we dont like online interaction" or "We dont like Hardrives" or "We dont like DVD playback" mindset is going to kill everything down the line. Im glad its getting fighting games, but when i get a game as hardcore as Guilty Gear, i dont want to fucking use motion sensing to play.

I hope you're seriously joking, seriously. the only fighting game you even like so far is GG, and that's because I forced it to you. twat.

Anyways. most devoted whores to the sony product line are going to get this, hands down. I'm still waiting for it to stale and reach 300$ ( ahahah ), but until that day, I doubt most people are going to even bother with this thing.

"Wii is starting to suck to me too."

First of all that sounds incredibly funny because of the word choice. Second, I kind of agree. Then again, my X360 isn't loads of awesome either. Mainly the lack of good games I was expecting.. I dunno.. more. And I definitely agree about the online thing. If I buy a Wii, aka cheap console with no pay-to-use online service I want it to be worthwhile. There isn't even a real Pokemon game on there.

I hope you're seriously joking, seriously. the only fighting game you even like so far is GG, and that's because I forced it to you. twat.

Anyways. most devoted whores to the sony product line are going to get this, hands down. I'm still waiting for it to stale and reach 300$ ( ahahah ), but until that day, I doubt most people are going to even bother with this thing.

Well Accent Core has Gamecube controller support, Nunchuk + Wiimote support, Wiimote support, and Classic Controller support. I diddnt know that before.

Besides that, ill fucking rape you at Soul Calibur 2, and lets not get started on Melee.

But lets be real. Everyone knows that if Smash Brothers Brawl has online netplay, its going to sell like fucking mad. Although everyone who knows nintendo knows that when it comes to games, they deliver the goods, but when it comes to anything dealing with Internet Interaction they fuck the shit up.

Friend Code System is the stupidest idea for a CONSOLE netplay gimmick ever. STUPIDEST. If im not mistaken it half ruined MKDS online play, and its definately going to ruin SMS:Charged and Brawl netplay.

If they even THINK of adding Friend Codes to something like Guilty Gear or Soul Calibur where the fights are naturally short, then they need to kill themselves.

Sony relies on their anal-retarded fanbase and misleading advertising to reel idiots into buying their overpriced games and systems.

Microsoft puts everything on Xbox Live so they gain a profit.

Nintendo does just about everything right, but when it has to deal with something thats NOT innovation, they try to make sure it IS innovation. Unfortunally when it comes down to things like innovating the INTERNET, its going to suck.

PS3: How the mighty have fallen. I'd say the two biggest things holding the system back are the price tag and the lack of good games. Almost everything good for the system is also coming out for 360. It doesn't matter how good your graphics are or how innovative your controller is if you don't have the games to back them up. However, I think it is possible (although unlikely) that Sony could turn this around. Dropping the system price was a good start, but the system needs a lot of good exclusive games. And I mean A LOT.

360: I have no complaints here. The system has a good library of games, and usually gets the best out of multiplatform games. The graphics look great, and it has 3 price ranges, making it a lot easier to get than the PS3. Plus, some of the exclusive titles are looking to be pretty good.

Wii: A fantastic system, but it's beginning to show weakness. The system is plagued by half ass last-gen games. Sure, it's nice to have a few of them, but when it takes up almost half of the Wii's total library it gets to be a pain. I think this will become less of a problem as time goes on, especially once the PS2 is out of the picture. This is similar to the problems the DS was having when it first came out. Another big problem is the online, or lack there of. Seriously guys, I know you want to keep a family image, but you do have a parental control setting on your system. I can understand having restrictions on an E rated game, but there should be none on a T or M rated. And that goes double for Smash Brothers. Other than that, there are some good games coming out, INCLUDING NIGHTS. Wii has potential for good graphics, they just need to use it to it's potential.

PS2: Um, why the hell is this thing not dead yet? Oh, that's right, the PS3 isn't selling. Seriously Sony, kill this system.

Dreamcast: I STILL LOVE YOU ;_;

"Friend Code System is the stupidest idea for a CONSOLE netplay gimmick ever. STUPIDEST."

Agreed. They should've just gone with friend codes for the system. I would say per-user but I don't think the Wii is like the X360 where you can have 3 "accounts.'