A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Chao gardens in Sonic fangames

I created this thread because I would like to talk about chao gardens in Sonic fangames. To discuss them and ask a few questions.

First and most important question.

Is it necessary to make them? Should we do it or we should just leave this for SEGA?

Second question.

If we should then why don't we make them combined? I mean that we could take chaos between different games.

1) Well no, I wouldn't say it's necessary to make them, really it's up to the creator of the game if they want to make it. I've seen fangames with chao gardens though.

2) Lol, if you can find a way to do that, please let me know. =P

2) Lol, if you can find a way to do that, please let me know. =P

There are many ways to do it. I don't know about GM but for MMF it is rather simple. You just have to have an extension that can save information to a file and then code it. Then you can just take that file from one game to another.

Hahaha, wow. Someone needs to make an online Chao garden game, with unlockables gotten from beating fangames (Such as getting a special code at the end of a fangame when you beat it, and you type it into the Chao Garden). You could go into a Chao black market or something, and it says "Beat Sonic Frenzy Adventure to unlock this egg" or something like that. Hell, i mould make something like that myself if I was more experienced with online gaming.

Ive never really suggested a Chao Garden in any of my games, because programming it would be just as big a chore as programming the game itself.

The whole garden would be automated aside from what your character does to the chao, which takes alot of programming.

I might go off on a limb and just create one someday. I already know i can do a pretty awesome one, and im pretty good with programming self sustained AI. It would just take alot of animations/sprites/values to get working.

After i complete my Super Smash Sonic engine (completely undecided name, dont laugh. The engine is just about done, im programming AI atm, but am pretty much at a standstill because i left the engine for a few months, came back, and forgot how all my complicated shit worked) and Tails Adventure 2 (needs brushing up on), i might take a request for a Chao Garden Open Source.

It'll have to be during the summer though. If i start anything before summer break, best believe it'll never get finshed.

The easiest way to accomplish this would be to have a central server that stored all the chao data for each user, and additionally, would track that user's accomplishments. Games that wanted to join in the project would just need to know how to communicate with the server and an extension, or a kind of plugin, if you will, would have to be added to the server to know how to recognize and process the data. Honestly, the communication isn't really the hard part...it's something I've been doing with ET:CF for about a year now. I would be game to help out if anyone want to make this project real...I'm talking seriously though, not just a "SOUNDS FUNZ!!!11!" then dropped in a month.

EDIT: Also, making a game sync with a server isn't really all that difficult either. For instance, the black market that was mentioned...it would be easy to have a list of items you could buy or things that you need to accomplish to get an item, then the maintainer would just have to update that list on the server. Whenever someone connected to the game, it would download the latest list, thus updating the game's content...yet another idea I've been playing around with for ET:CF...haha.

I was actually thinking of implementing a Chao garden into Sonic 4. However, it didn't fit in with an old-school Sonic game, so I ditched it. If people really do like Chao gardens enough to actually want to play them in a fangame though, maybe I should reconsider...

My ideas were making the Chao races and Chao Karate online, and finding new eggs hidden in each zone and such. That's about as far as I got with it though. Half of my reason for ditching the idea was the fear that the game wouldn't actually be that popular, and the effort for programming the online play would get wasted.

Unless every chao garden uses the same source engine (which would need to be reletively un-tinkered with), it wont happen.

Besides, not to many games are benig finshed these days. Either they get ditched, take forever, or get shot down. (like what most of you all have been doing lately..)

Sounds cool, however I think the general idea was aiming for discussing more of an open system rather than a game specific one.

I meant that. I' making my own. So, I don't see this very possible, unless people wants to use mine. My minigame is soo advanced so i wont scrap it.

Oh please stop saying that. We all already understood that your chaogardens are very cool. But I do NOT think that they are so cool that people are not worthy for them. Don't put yourself higher then others. Nobody is asking you for your soursecode here by the way.

I place my official seal of mental retardation on this topic for the idea of a unified Chao Garden between multiple fangames being simply kinda retarded. Unfortunately, I don't have a fancy image for that yet.

But really now, who wants to spend all this extra work just to have a piece of fluff that is shared?

I place my official seal of mental retardation on this topic for the idea of a unified Chao Garden between multiple fangames being simply kinda retarded. Unfortunately, I don't have a fancy image for that yet.

But really now, who wants to spend all this extra work just to have a piece of fluff that is shared?

I dont see whats so retarded about it, it could work if we just established a bit of teamwork...

But seriously Ila, wheres the "Fuck you DW your mean*banned*" reply?

You playing favroites with getting me banned is getting pretty damn lame.

Unless every chao garden uses the same source engine (which would need to be reletively un-tinkered with), it wont happen.

Not really, they'd just have to send and recieve data of the same type. You'd probably want that standards in the types and stats when Chaos become what, but that could be stored on an external server and handled individually.

Anyway, the idea of individually implementing or forcing standards on Chao gardens for every game that wants to participate is a little... excesive. The idea that one could import one's fangame "achievements" into a shared chao garden is rather interesting, though. There's no reason why the Chao garden should be integrated into each game, rather than each game just send the info to an external game that houses the unified Chao garden game. I believe that's somewhat how Cinos' game was going to work, but it's gone now.

Part of the fun of fan games is that you get to make games exactly how you want, so standardising Chao gardens wouldn't really work for most people. Of course, there could always be an import and export feature to convert to a standardised format that others could use. Possibly just a simple object definition with name, age, appearance and stats, with a section for "extended" stats that store extra details people may wish for.