A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Riku drawing

tentril

No not Rikku, Riku. From Kingdom Hearts.

http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rikukx6.png

I'm trying to draw more to improve so please cut me down, because I feel pretty good about this one. Also I would like to try and ink and color it in photoshop if anyone can educate me on that subject.

I couldn't get the picture to show up for some reason. Oh well theres a link.

I see room for improvement. I suck at explaining things, but I'll give it a try.

First, the chest. His waist is fine, but I think the curve is a tad too gradual. It should start higher. The abdominals look kind of strange. Maybe it's because you just drew the abs, not giving any detail to anything to the sides. It looks fake. His right arm (holding they keyblade) is way too short. When extending the fingers, an arm pointing straight down should be only a few inches or so above the kneecap (measuring from myself, I'm pretty sure my arms aren't too long). His arm seems kind of fat too, but that may, again, be because his arm is too short. Work on defining the muscles more. The way the left arm bends seems kind of off, but I can't place my finger on what exactly is wrong. Maybe someone can help me there.

Everything below the waist seems perfectly drawn, and I have no complaints about the head. Good job, I like the picture.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings and salutations good sir.

Alright. The picture itself seems to be quite off in terms of proportion. I liked how you tried to draw out his hand resting on the bar or w/e that is. My one issue with this is that his chest is just way too big compared to his waist. It's like he's going to fall over. His hands are quite small as well and they dont reach the certain point where hands usually meet the upper thigh. Since you drew his chest large, I think you compensated the width of his face so that it wouldn't look odd. It's overall good though.

My overall suggestion would be to draw stick figures [ I dont mean that's all you're good for. Just listen. ] Start posing stick figures in every pose you think they can go in. The reason for this is that his pose seems quite awkward. See how his right [Our left] shoulder is angled downward? Well, with the human physique, our hips would be posed opposite to how our shoulders rest as means of balance. The reason for those stick figures is not only laying a foundation for posing but a means of proportion as well. I usually start all of my pictures with a stick figure. I then rough out the body mass with basic shapes such as circles triangles or cubes and cylinders. When everything is all kosher, I erase all the inside BS and then start adding detail. You have a good foundation because you dont SUCK as an artist. Thats always good. All you need is a little guidance. Once you've got the basics down as far as proportion and balance go, nothing can stop you.

Now, as far as inking goes.

If it were me inking that picture... I'd scan the pic around 400-500 dpi.

I'd then open it in photoshop and make a new layer. After that... There is this tutorial I've come across fairly recently. Now, dont use this tutorial verbatim seeing as how it's showing you how to do SA style inking [if you want that style, then so be it.] What I did with that style is make the lines less dramatic. SA style, the lines are thick and whatnot. I'm working in high resolution so that when shrunken down, the lines are paper thin and look sexy with the coloring ontop. Coloring is really a style preference. I usually lay a layer of flat color underneath my inking layer. Ontop of that I'd lay down a shading layer and ontop of that I'd lay down a highlights layer. I'm always changing my coloring style so I cant really explain any specific one.

I hope my ramble helps you... or anyone who reads it.