A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Asimo had one weakness...

Blues

I remeber ASIMO from years ago, when its production was first started. I know for a fact ASIMO can go DOWN stairs though xD Without falling :3 However, it appears he sucks at climbing them.

WEAKNESS?? CONQUERED!

Lol. Listen to the rap at the end. It's hilarious.

HOLY SHI-

It's conquered stairs; Next up, the WORLD

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASIMO

3. Environment recognition

ASIMO can recognize the objects and terrain of its environment and act in a way that is safe for both itself and nearby humans. For example, recognizing potential hazards such as stairs, and by stopping and starting to avoid hitting humans or other moving objects.

Watch out for those stairs, kids. They jump out at ya.

Question: why the hell did a car company make a robot that dances and walks and crap?

A dog would drag that damned thing across the street. And judging by the stair accident of the old model, I don't believe Asimo would be able to right itself. Even if it did, it wouldn't be able to catch the dog. That's assuming it's grip on the string is loosened. Assuming the leash it like.. attached to something on Asimo, it'd never be able to right itself. It'd just dangle along the ground getting all effed up.

I'd imagine that it wouldn't be able to use escalators. Considering the original model couldn't even climb a static object, I doubt it'd be able to step onto something moving. And since someone will probably say that the new model has changes, I'll argue against that. First of all, it's pretty slow. Sometimes even people trip up when they step onto or off of an escalator. It'd have to find the exact right time to step onto a stair and, being that it's so slow, by the time it's foot touched down, it will have missed it's target. Of course, there could be some sort of thing where it accounts for that extra time, but it still wouldn't work. The amount of time it takes for the next foot to land would cause it to either fall foward, or do a split and then fall, at which point it will be pulled up the escalator and stuck on the other side. If you watch the video it pauses after each foot lands. If it somehow does manage to climb it, getting off would be just as hard. Of course though, it would never successfuly mount it in the first place. Also, it wouldn't be able to use the handrail successfully. If it stuck it's arm out for support, the leg problem would still occur. The moving handrail would pull him forward, and that huge thing on it's back would probably cause him to faceplant.

This only shows how pathetic we are still technology-wise.

He walks like an idiot. I mean, why can't they make he walk at reasonable speeds? Or jump?

I think he should have been projected to be able of doing incredibly complicated fighting moves, somersaults... Maybe also jumping from heights and hitting the ground properly, like a cat...

Maybe he could also shoot lasers from his eyes, as a special bonus.