A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The innars of the PS3....

Asuma

Translation time!! ^_^

On November 11, the Playstation 3 went on sale.

Once the number of units available had been a concern, as well as new technology like the Cell processor and the Blu-ray drive, but they promised that there would be many units available.

With the 60GB that I bought, let's try to take a look inside without further ado.

First off, I will give you a quick overview of the system, and then I will procede with a step-by-step investigation of the internal parts.

[ROW ONE]

-The package. It is very heavy.

-Package contents.

-After opening the box.

[ROW TWO]

-The pack-in accesories

-From the back

-From the left

[ROW THREE]

-From the right

-Memory Card Reader

[ROW FOUR]

-The HD slot is user-accessible

-The 60GB Seagate HD

--Caution!--

-Disassembling the PS3 will void its warranty.

-If you decide to disassemble your PS3, PC Watch and the author, as well as this website and translator, cannot and will not be held responible.

-The descriptions here are observed by the PC Watch editorial department. It is possible that your configuration and experience may differ.

-PC Watch will not be able to answer any questions about the internal parts.

[ROW FIVE]

-The same warning seal as the PS2. Peel it off (but remember, that this will void your warranty)

-Peeling it off will make the seal say "VOID."

[ROW SIX]

-Under the seal, unscrew the special screw, and remove the first cover.

-After unscrewing a countless number of screws, the chassis will finally open.

-The one long cord that is on top of the cover seems to be related to the Card Reader.

[ROW SEVEN]

-After the case has been unfastened. On the left is the Blu-ray drive, and on the right is the power supply.

-The power supply. With the AC adapter, the power supply takes in 100V; however it can handle much more than that.

-Under the power supply, we can see the shield and wiring that are related to the Wi-Fi.

[ROW EIGHT]

-After removing the Blu-ray drive, the power supply, and the Wi-Fi board, we can finally see the mother board shielding. On the center, the heat sync is mounted.

-On the bottom, after we unfastened the case, we can see the enormous cooling fan.

-The fan from another angle. The diameter is 16 cm (6.2 in).

[ROW NINE]

-From this angle, we can see the fin from the heat sync.

-The dismantled cooling fan.

-The heat sync dismantled and turned over. Heat pipes run through it.

[ROW TEN]

The mother board (Click to open a bigger image in a new window.)

[ROW ELEVEN]

The mother board (Click to open a bigger image in a new window.)

[ROW TWELVE]

-There are four chips on the mother board. The one on the far left is the EE+GS chip (Emotion Engine + Graphic Synthesizer). It appears to be the same one that runs the PS2.

-Next is the RSX graphics chip.

[ROW THIRTEEN]

-After removing the heat spreader, we see 4 chips of GDDR3 memory.

-The on-board graphic memory is from Samsung.

[ROW FOURTEEN]

-The upper right chip is Sony controller CXD2973GB.

-The lower right chip is the CELL. It's branded with CXD2973GB. There is a wide pathway pattern connecting it to the RSX.

So:

• Looks more refined and stylized than the 360's (lolol random comparison which means nothing but is fun to make).

• RSX has the GDDR RAM directly attached.

• RSX's core is a portal to another dimension - obviously the flux capacitator for that 4D support.

• Not only EE + GS, but also the 32 MB units from PS2. Basically, they squeezed a PSTwo in there.

• Interesting (and HUEG) coolant system.

• Internal PSU for great justice.

• The Marvell™ chip, which contains the Spiderman font.

Overall looks expensive and hi-techy, which is good because the whole thing IS in fact expensive.

EDIT: Kudos for the translation <3

Yeah, we only have Metal Gear, goddamn. :) Sneak King is more gobsmacking though, largely because they're insinuating that the only way to get people to eat their food is to sneak it on to their person.

One of the best things about the PS3's insides is the HDD, which is easily removed. Hard drives are dirt cheap now, so getting more space won't cost too much.

^^ Finished the translation.

Thanks a lot! Mind if I do a copy and paste job for a couple private forums? Giving credit, of course.

I hope this comes with the linux kit like PS2 did, if I choose to buy this.
Well, for starters Terra Soft will be making Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 (E17) available soon for download.

The XMB OS does come with built in support for Linux distros

How to Enable Your Distro

Copyright © 2006 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Copyright © 2006 Sony Corp.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License".

DISCLAIMER

THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS," AND COPYRIGHT HOLDERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR TITLE; THAT THE CONTENTS OF THE DOCUMENT ARE SUITABLE FOR ANY PURPOSE; NOR THAT THE IMPLEMENTATION OF SUCH CONTENTS WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY THIRD PARTY PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS, TRADEMARKS OR OTHER RIGHTS.
COPYRIGHT HOLDERS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF ANY USE OF THE DOCUMENT OR THE PERFORMANCE OR IMPLEMENTATION OF THE CONTENTS THEREOF.

As a hint of enabling your own distribution, we’ll show how to install existing free Linux distribution for PPC64. We’ll explain this using with Fedora Core 5 as an example.
Install Fedora Core 5
1. Abstract

This section shows how to install Fedora Core 5 on a PS3.

To install Fedora Core 5 on a PS3, you have to execute following steps.

* Create a Linux partition on the HDD.
* Install boot loader.
* Set boot flag to 'Other OS'.

2. Requirements
Hardware

* PS3 which System Software version 1.10 or later is installed
o Controller
o USB keyboard
o USB Memory or MemoryStick or SD or CompactFlash
o Monitor
The following will be used for output from a PS3.
+ HDTV monitor(supporting 480p, 1080i, 720p or 1080p)
+ Connected with the HDMI connector or the AV MULTIOUT connector

Software

* Other OS installer (otheros.self)
o You can get the binary from [url]http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/[/url]
* kboot image compressed by gzip (otheros.bld)
o You can find this in Addon Packages CD.
* Fedora Core 5 PPC install DVD
o You can get Fedora Core 5 PPC install DVD from Fedora Project ([url]http://fedora.redhat.com/[/url])
* Addon Packages CD.[/CODE]

Main concern at the moment would be RSX access, since due to the architecture you have to go through the GPU to reach half of the RAM. It's also interesting to note that the Linux apps include a Cell Software Developing Kit.

Metal Gear Solid could never even hope to be as graphically, mentally, or parcheesily satisfying as Sneak King.

I was pretty sure I stuck a smiley in my post for the purpose of flippancy, but apparently not... :( And yes, you are absolutely right about MGS and Sneak King. And your signature would make the best BK advert ever.