A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

EA Games sinks to a new level

Gamerdude

I'm sure some of you out there are awaiting the release of Battlefield 2142 with much anticipation. However, before you run out and buy the game, I think there's something you should know first: EA bundles spyware?

According to this article, EA is basically installing monitoring software on your computer. They even include a big notice saying they're going to do so. Does anyone besides me smell something fishy? Why would they include a notice outside the end-user license agreement if they didn't have a problem putting it into their game? Maybe it's just my own morals kicking in, but I think this is disgusting.

I'm sure some of you out there are awaiting the release of Battlefield 2142 with much anticipation. However, before you run out and buy the game, I think there's something you should know first: EA bundles spyware?

According to this article, EA is basically installing monitoring software on your computer. They even include a big notice saying they're going to do so. Does anyone besides me smell something fishy? Why would they include a notice outside the end-user license agreement if they didn't have a problem putting it into their game? Maybe it's just my own morals kicking in, but I think this is disgusting.

It's an increasing practice in the computer software industry. They install spyware for various reasons, to enhance online play, to monitor online play, to collect statistics about their game, etc. Remember AOl bundles spyware with AIM, but actually all the spyware does is enhance online play.

82432.jpg

If crap like this is included in Spore, I won't buy the game.

While I could understand why they're doing this if it was to prevent piracy, I'm not too fond of giving my personal info to ad companies. And in either case I do not approve of the method used :/

I know you guys don't care, but this hurts me and the people in the field I am in.

BF 2142 servers will only be hosted in cloud solution datacenters. This means only Major ISPs will be allowed to host BF servers, they have eliminated any way for Game Server Providers to be a part of BF2142 and are effectively putting hundreds of companies out of business.

This is insane. And for the record, it also means you won't be able to warez it, because the servers will all be regulated by EA and will check if the games are warez or not. The same way XBox live servers check if your box is modded.

I know you guys don't care, but this hurts me and the people in the field I am in.

BF 2142 servers will only be hosted in cloud solution datacenters. This means only Major ISPs will be allowed to host BF servers, they have eliminated any way for Game Server Providers to be a part of BF2142 and are effectively putting hundreds of companies out of business.

This is insane. And for the record, it also means you won't be able to warez it, because the servers will all be regulated by EA and will check if the games are warez or not. The same way XBox live servers check if your box is modded.

So you don't play on their servers. Case closed.

Seriously though, both BF 1942 and BF2 got warezed.

So you don't play on their servers. Case closed.

Seriously though, both BF 1942 and BF2 got warezed.

Apparently you missed the part where I said "ONLY MAJOR ISPS WILL BE ABLE TO HOST BF GAME SERVERS".

That's it. No private servers, period. The server software won't even be released. And the major ISPs are all contracted to EA to allow them to run any kind of watch program they want. Have you seen a modded XBox effectively connect and play on XBox live without being banned? No. Same with this.

Yeah, especially since they are offering ranked servers. Looks like either resale, or they are contracted to EA as well. And since it doesn't look like they even own their datacenter, resale is probably it.

Edit: They colocated here: http://www.cihost.com/. It is possible that they have signed a contract with EA, but I think something odd is happening.